OctaneRender 2.2 for LightWave Production build 2.25

Forums: OctaneRender 2.2 for LightWave Production build 2.25
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ 2.2 for LightWave™ - Production release

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:28 pm

juanjgon Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:28 pm
atnreg wrote:Those bold parts I may not understand correctly, can you please confirm these below or explain more if I have misunderstood any of them? :)
-as it is possible to edit the Octane materials in Octane node tree inside LW, why cannot I build new materials as well? Or do I need to always start with some existing one? Even then I can edit the material i.e. also remove pretty much everything and then save it with different name which is in practice the same as making new, right?
-as it is possible to save the LiveDB materials - edited on unedited - to LocalDB, isn't that exactly way to use them again i.e. making 'presets' of them? Right?
-and it is possible to use LiveDB and LW Octane materials in same scene or object, of course not in same surface, right?

Ok, you are right, it is only a personal opinion ;)

You can build a new material inside the LiveDB node, there is a button to initialize it with an empty Octane material node graph. You can save the material in the LocalDB or upload it to LiveDB, you can even transfer your current Octane materials using LW nodes to your localDB to reuse them in the Octane node editor. You can make LW presets with the LiveDB materials, and you can mix materials with LW Octane nodes and materials with the LiveDB node in the same object.

Only few things are not possible: currently I think that you can't animate the material parameters in the LiveDB node editor (but this can change in Octane 3). Also the rasterize tool to use the LW procedurals is not possible inside the LiveDB node.

But again, you are right, you can use the LiveDB node editor to setup your Octane shading without problems if you want. I can even think in some tools to make your life easier with this workflow (initialize all the materials in an object with the LiveDB node to avoid add it by hand, etc.) ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby atnreg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm

atnreg Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm
Ok, you are right, it is only a personal opinion ;)

Great! :)

You can build a new material inside the LiveDB node, there is a button to initialize it with an empty Octane material node graph. You can save the material in the LocalDB or upload it to LiveDB

Excellent!

you can even transfer your current Octane materials using LW nodes to your localDB to reuse them in the Octane node editor. You can make LW presets with the LiveDB materials, and you can mix materials with LW Octane nodes and materials with the LiveDB node in the same object.

Even better, wow! But of course you can't use material mixer or other node to combine LW Octane material and LiveDB materials in same surface? That would be too much I think but you have made miracles before so I must make sure :D

Only few things are not possible: currently I think that you can't animate the material parameters in the LiveDB node editor (but this can change in Octane 3). Also the rasterize tool to use the LW procedurals is not possible inside the LiveDB node.

Those are very understandable restrictions and there are probably own procedurals in LiveDB system (you see, I have only used Octane LW plugin, it does all I need but of course with LiveDB support I will need to learn that too but I'm not complaining ;)) so that is not a problem either :)

But again, you are right, you can use the LiveDB node editor to setup your Octane shading without problems if you want. I can even think in some tools to make your life easier with this workflow (initialize all the materials in an object with the LiveDB node to avoid add it by hand, etc.) ;)

Definitely good idea, may actually solve some surface mass handling issues I have (not related to Octane) it depends on how LiveDB system actually handles the materials.

While eagerly waiting for this to become available, if I start to learn Octane Standalone's material editing and usage, will it be the same in LiveDB node?

Thank you VERY much again!

Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Houdini 2019, Clarisse 2016
No business, just fun :)
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:55 pm

juanjgon Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:55 pm
atnreg wrote:Even better, wow! But of course you can't use material mixer or other node to combine LW Octane material and LiveDB materials in same surface? That would be too much I think but you have made miracles before so I must make sure :D

Good question, I should test it ;)

atnreg wrote:While eagerly waiting for this to become available, if I start to learn Octane Standalone's material editing and usage, will it be the same in LiveDB node?

Yes, it is the same workflow.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:57 pm

juanjgon Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:57 pm
There is currently other important restriction. The IPR is not live when the Octane node editor is open, you can't see the materials updates in real time while working inside the Octane node editor, the IPR only updates the scene after close it. I will think if this issue can be fixed.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby atnreg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 pm

atnreg Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 pm
juanjgon wrote:There is currently other important restriction. The IPR is not live when the Octane node editor is open, you can't see the materials updates in real time while working inside the Octane node editor, the IPR only updates the scene after close it. I will think if this issue can be fixed.
-Juanjo

Ok, that is some kind of issue yes but as the editing is the same in Standalone, the tweaking can be done there and then just use the material in LW. But of course if you can even solve that, even better but don't delay the release because of this ;)

Hmm...do you mean that if I use LiveDB materials in a scene, the IPR won't be live even for LW Octane materials? I think you meant Octane LiveDB node editor above? :)

So I'll just need to RTFM the Standalone material editing :D

Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Houdini 2019, Clarisse 2016
No business, just fun :)
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hdace » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:04 am

hdace Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:04 am
Documentation disappeared.
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 am

juanjgon Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 am
hdace wrote:Documentation disappeared.

Yes, sorry. OTOY is migrating the docs site to a new servers, so it will be off line today. I hope that the site can be online again soon.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby stef » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm

stef Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm
Hi !

Octane Plug's, 2.23.2.1, Production release, is LW 2015.3 ready ?
Is this the last version without LiveDB node ?

Thx for your great job Juanjo !
Can't wait for Octane3 ..
_
stef
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm

juanjgon Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Yes, All the builds for LW 2015.2 should work in 2015.3 without problems. Anyway the current daily build 2.24.0.1 is stable enogh to be used in production.
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm

juanjgon Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm
The production build has been updated to the Octane 2.25 API, including some minor bugs fixed in the plugin.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Releases