OctaneRender 2.2 for LightWave Production build 2.25

Forums: OctaneRender 2.2 for LightWave Production build 2.25
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ 2.2 for LightWave™ - Production release

Postby atnreg » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 am

atnreg Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 am
juanjgon wrote:
gordonrobb wrote:So can we store our own materials in the LocalDB?

Now you can load materials in LW from your LocalDB (stored from other plugin or from the Standalone), like from the LiveDB. I am thinking in a way to store the Octane LightWave materials created with the Octane LW nodes in the LocalDB/LiveDB databases.

-Juanjo

This sounds great too, is this LiveDB support at alpha, beta or release candidate state and when the first version is estimated to be available? :)

Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Houdini 2019, Clarisse 2016
No business, just fun :)
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 am

juanjgon Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 am
Humpti wrote:I wonder how Juanjo did this. Does he use Octane standalone for the transfer? How does LW use these materials for the rendering then? Questions over questions :) But being able to edit the materials locally will be very important.

Nope, you don't need Octane standalone. The Octane API inside the plugin has the functions to download the materials and to open the Octane node editor to edit them. You can edit the materials inside the LightWave without problems, but inside the available Octane node editor.

In short, you are going to have two workflows to work with the Octane materials in LightWave: Using the plugin Octane LW nodes inside the LW node editor (the current workflow), or using the native Octane nodes inside the Octane node editor (that is the new workflow, compatible with LiveDB/LocalDB)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 am

juanjgon Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 am
atnreg wrote:This sounds great too, is this LiveDB support at alpha, beta or release candidate state and when the first version is estimated to be available? :)

I need to work a bit more in this feature. Things like texture relative paths and so on are not supported yet. Perhaps I will release the first daily build with this feature later next week ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby atnreg » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 am

atnreg Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 am
juanjgon wrote:
atnreg wrote:This sounds great too, is this LiveDB support at alpha, beta or release candidate state and when the first version is estimated to be available? :)

I need to work a bit more in this feature. Things like texture relative paths and so on are not supported yet. Perhaps I will release the first daily build with this feature later next week ;)

-Juanjo

Great! Good luck with this, we'll be waiting :mrgreen:

Antti
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm

juanjgon Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm
This is how the LW users are going to be able to upload the LW Octane materials to LiveDB, or store them in the LocalDB to share materials among all the Octane users and applications. You only need to Shift+MButton click to dump the material in a custom Octane node editor, where the save functions are available.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/133139422[/vimeo]

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gordonrobb » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 am

gordonrobb Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 am
Will this also allow us to just keep our materials in one place? Replacing the preset window?
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:30 am

juanjgon Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:30 am
gordonrobb wrote:Will this also allow us to just keep our materials in one place? Replacing the preset window?

This is not a good idea. It is better to store the materials as LW presets. Remember that the LiveDB/LocalDB materials can't be edited as LW nodes in the LW node editor.

This features are designed to share the materials among all the Octane plugins, the Standalone and other users, but not for replace the current workflow using the LW Octane nodes.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 am

MrFurious Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 am
Not meaning to sound negative or ungrateful I mean this is an awesome addition but....... being locked into the native Octane node tree really sux. And an additional node workflow to complicate things rather than a more unified approach? So basically we can download LiveDB materials, tweak them, and then re-send them to LiveDB (or local DB) but NOT be able to integrate the newly created material into the LW node tree.

"This features are designed to share the materials among all the Octane plugins" Can't help but sense that Juanjo maybe your hands are tied from up high?
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:25 am

juanjgon Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:25 am
At least currently the direct translation of Octane node trees to the LW node editor is not possible, perhaps only basic material could be supported. The plugin architecture, and even the LW architecture, is not designed from the beginning to support this kind of translation. Perhaps in the future could be possible, but not now without a full rewrite of all the plugin nodal core, and with a lot of work to make possible something that is not possible in the LW nodal architecture. I know that in part is my fault, perhaps with this feature in mind from the beginning of the project, the direct translation of the Octane node trees to the LW node editor could be possible, but not now.

The LiveDB node is a tool to make possible render the LiveDB materials in your projects and to support materials sharing among all Octane applications. It is useful if you need a material for a project and you don't have time to make it yourself. With the LiveDB node you can download and tweek the material inside LW and use it without problems. It is also useful if you have a LW Octane material and you want to use it in other plugin, in Standalone or share it in LiveDB. It is not something designed to replace the current plugin shading workflow using the LW Octane nodes, to build new materials or to use the LocalDB as storage space for your presets.

This is only a new tool to help with Octane materials sharing, not a whole new shading workflow to replace the current one ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby atnreg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:08 pm

atnreg Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:08 pm
It is not something designed to replace the current plugin shading workflow using the LW Octane nodes, to build new materials or to use the LocalDB as storage space for your presets.

Those bold parts I may not understand correctly, can you please confirm these below or explain more if I have misunderstood any of them? :)
-as it is possible to edit the Octane materials in Octane node tree inside LW, why cannot I build new materials as well? Or do I need to always start with some existing one? Even then I can edit the material i.e. also remove pretty much everything and then save it with different name which is in practice the same as making new, right?
-as it is possible to save the LiveDB materials - edited on unedited - to LocalDB, isn't that exactly way to use them again i.e. making 'presets' of them? Right?
-and it is possible to use LiveDB and LW Octane materials in same scene or object, of course not in same surface, right?

If those are all possible then I will be very happy and of course even without those this is really great feature :mrgreen:

Thank you again Juanjo!

Antti
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Releases