White bright spots

Forums: White bright spots
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

White bright spots

Postby 3Dimensional » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 pm

3Dimensional Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 pm
I keep getting these white bright spots at the edges of a device I'm trying to render. I can't show the whole thing but I cropped it to show just the area where this happens, and I enlarged it slightly. This happens on the top edges of this device, and these are rounded edges. The hot pixels setting is at 0%, setting it lower than that makes absolutely no difference for this. As far as I've read in the manual, that seems to be the only related setting.

It seems to me that this might be the sun reflecting on this surface, but as far as I can see there's no way to make the sun not visible to the camera or the reflections. Changing the sun size makes no difference. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Thanks
Attachments
IPR_image.jpg
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: White bright spots

Postby mdharrington » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm

mdharrington Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm
these are usually only on specular materials, and they are due to caustics I believe.

PMC kernal was supposed to take care of this, but it seems it only does if ray epsilon is really high...
Intel i7 980, 24gig DDR3, 2x GTX 470, 1x GTX 590
mdharrington
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3Dimensional » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 pm

3Dimensional Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 pm
mdharrington wrote:these are usually only on specular materials, and they are due to caustics I believe.

PMC kernal was supposed to take care of this, but it seems it only does if ray epsilon is really high...

Thanks for your reply. In this case this object only has a glossy material, with a texture of that color, however it happened also when it was just the glossy material.

I'll try PMC, I went with direct lighting because I was told that anything else took much longer to render.
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3Dimensional » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm

3Dimensional Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm
Indeed, PMC does better with those bright spots, but take forever to render. You say a really high epsilon, how high are you talking about?
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D