Octane surfaces not reflecting instances?

Forums: Octane surfaces not reflecting instances?
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Octane surfaces not reflecting instances?

Postby 3Dimensional » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:27 pm

3Dimensional Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:27 pm
I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to be or if I'm doing something wrong, but I realized that objects that have the glossy material applied don't reflect instances, at least those made with the native LW instancer.

I have a field of grass that is all instanced, and an object that I'm trying to surface as close as possible to the LW car paint node. Without using Octane, the car paint node works perfectly, it reflects the instanced grass just fine. But when surfacing the object with the glossy Octane material, the grass is gone. However, if I turn off the grass instance, it reflects the texture that is applied to the ground, which is a texture of grass but obviously looks much worse.

So is this a limitation of Octane or CUDA, or am I doing something wrong?
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane surfaces not reflecting instances?

Postby juanjgon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 pm

juanjgon Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 pm
Here it works fine. Perhaps you don't have enough glossy depth rays in the kernel?

-Juanjo
Attachments
image-000532.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3Dimensional » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 pm

3Dimensional Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 pm
I think I figured it out. I have two instance generators on that surface, one for trees and one for grass, because they have different weight maps. The grass one was second and the trees one was unchecked. Then I moved the grass instancer to the top and now it works.
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3Dimensional » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm

3Dimensional Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm
Scratch that. Earlier today I had both instancers selected but it was still showing no reflections, even after I did a reload scene. I closed Lightwave, opened the scene again and now it was showing the reflections just fine.

Another thing that was strange before I restarted Layout was that there was one object that has a diffuse surface in white, and it was showing light blue, about the same as the color of the sky. After I restarted Layout it went back to white.
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D