Need help with materials

Forums: Need help with materials
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Need help with materials

Postby aw1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 am

aw1 Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 am
Hi guys, need some help,

1. How do i create Architecture glass (so that i can see reflections of the the interior and glass acts as light portal)

2. How do i create simple glass like car windshield, If i turn off IOR (that's set to 1.45 as default in specular material) Glass does not look realistic.

3. Is there any ready made surfaces library for octane for lightwave?

Thanks in advance
Windows 7 Pro, i7 4770, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Asus GTX780Ti 3GB
aw1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Need help with materials

Postby juanjgon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am

juanjgon Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am
Architecture glass can be enabled in the specular shader node using the "Fake Shadows" option. It works with the direct lighting kernel, you don't need path tracing or PMC to work with it.

Not sure about glass, in theory the best glass is done specular shader and the path tracing or PMC kernels, but sometimes for architecture I also use the glossy shader with low opacity to make it transparent. Anyway perhaps somebody with more production experience could help you.

Currently we don't have a surface library for the plugin, but you can use the Standalone to download materials from LiveDB and see how the material is done ... then you can reproduce the material inside the plugin using the LW Octane nodes, a lot of materials are really simple, with only few nodes you can create them if you see in standalone how they are done.

For Octane 2.0 I want to add LibeDB support and/or a basic materials library.

-Juanjo

aw1 wrote:Hi guys, need some help,

1. How do i create Architecture glass (so that i can see reflections of the the interior and glass acts as light portal)

2. How do i create simple glass like car windshield, If i turn off IOR (that's set to 1.45 as default in specular material) Glass does not look realistic.

3. Is there any ready made surfaces library for octane for lightwave?

Thanks in advance
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Need help with materials

Postby aw1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 am

aw1 Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 am
Thanks for the help Juanjo, yeah it would be awesome to have basic materials built in, it really saves time when doing hundreds of surfaces in a single scene :)
Windows 7 Pro, i7 4770, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Asus GTX780Ti 3GB
aw1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D