Display dedicated GPU

Forums: Display dedicated GPU
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Display dedicated GPU

Postby juanjgon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am

juanjgon Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am
With the latest Octane versions I have needed change somethings in how Octane manage the scene loading and update, perhaps this is why the plugin change it's behavior. I am going to make some tests here to see if this issue can be fixed in the plugin.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BorisGoreta » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am

BorisGoreta Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am
Thanks a lot Juanjo. Enemies keep killing me like crazy when I play BF4 on display GPU while Octane is rendering because of this stuttering which affects the mouse too. :D
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 am

vipvip Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 am
juanjgon wrote:With the latest Octane versions I have needed change somethings in how Octane manage the scene loading and update, perhaps this is why the plugin change it's behavior. I am going to make some tests here to see if this issue can be fixed in the plugin.

-Juanjo

hi,
i still didn't try the latest version of the plugin but i really hope the very small delay between frames when rendering a preview animation will remain because it is a really important thing when tweaking a project

regards
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 am

juanjgon Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 am
I am testing this issue here and I think that the update times among frames while rendering are normal AFAIK. With simple scenes the update time is near to 0, in complex scenes it is also very low, less than a seconds, or a bit more of one seconds if you enable the update materials option. Only if you have a huge amount of instances or objects this time is greater than one or two seconds ... Octane needs more time to update scene if it has a lot of geometry or intance nodes, specially if you also update materials.

I don't think that this time could be better. I am not sure if Standalone could be faster, but anyway if you export a scene to Standalone, you are not exporting the animation, so in Standalone if you scrub the timeline you are not updating the scene at all.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 am

vipvip Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 am
ok thanks, Juan
it's a good news :)
Regards
Vincent
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 am

BorisGoreta Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 am
That is great, but what aboud display GPU stuttering during "Updating scene to GPU .... " when it is not set to render ?
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am

juanjgon Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am
BorisGoreta wrote:That is great, but what aboud display GPU stuttering during "Updating scene to GPU .... " when it is not set to render ?

Boris, I can't reproduce this behavior in my system with 3 x GTX670 GPUs ... to me sounds like a hardware issue due to PCIe overload or something like that. Perhaps a change in the drivers or in the hardware could be the problem.

Do you know if this is a new problem of the current Octane 1.5 plugins cycle or it is also there with Octane 1.20.6?

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BorisGoreta » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

BorisGoreta Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am
I will first try with older nVidia drivers and report.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:08 pm

gordonrobb Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:08 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:I'm so stupid, we now have export to standalone feature which I have used to export the scene. I started turntable render in Octane and there was no Windows GUI problems, everything was butter smooth. I have also noticed that Octane standalone does not have any pause between the frames, as soon as current frame reaches max samples the next frame starts rendering immediately. In LW plugin there is a WAITING ... phase and UPDATING SCENE IN GPU ... Those two phases add 2 seconds per frame and one frame renders in 2 seconds also so it doubles the time.

The GUI stutter happens during UPDATING SCENE IN GPU... phase.

In the main node of the Octane setup (the one you have camera, environment, etc as inputs) click on that and there is a setting that you can switch the update off. Let me know if you find what I mean. It saves a lot of time for big scenes.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Lightwave 3D