OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.31.2

Forums: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.31.2
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.31.2

Postby BorisGoreta » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:55 pm

BorisGoreta Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:55 pm
clay is cool

what is color clay mode ?

can you please make that clay disregards specular materials with fake shadows which are windows so that in clay mode sun can shine through ?
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 am

BorisGoreta Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 am
I have just blown the image to almost white using imager node and saved two exr images from the IPR windows. Save EXR does not contain HDRI data, Save EXR tonemapped containes HDRI data and I can retrieve the image from almost white to normal intensities.

juanjgon wrote:
BorisGoreta wrote:SaveEXR from F9 render window doesn't keep HDRI data (blown areas can't be retrieved)

SaveEXR tonemapped saves HDRI data

Are you sure? ... AFAIK the tonmapping respose curves are not defined out of display range, so all tonemapped images are clipped. To save a full HDRI image you need to enable the "Get full linear HDRI image" option.

In the Octane API we only have two ways of get the HDR image: tonemapped with camera response curves applied (with HDRI clipped, AFAIK), or tonemapped without camera response curves applied (full HDRI lineal imagen without clipping).

-Juanjo
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 am

juanjgon Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 am
BorisGoreta wrote:I have just blown the image to almost white using imager node and saved two exr images from the IPR windows. Save EXR does not contain HDRI data, Save EXR tonemapped containes HDRI data and I can retrieve the image from almost white to normal intensities.

I am going to ask to the Octane developers about this. As I say before I think that camera response curves are only defined from 0.0 to 1.0 ranges, and this is why tonemapped HDR images are clamped. I am not sure how the Octane internal EXR saver can save tonemapped HDR images without this clamping.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 am

juanjgon Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 am
BorisGoreta wrote:clay is cool

what is color clay mode ?

can you please make that clay disregards specular materials with fake shadows which are windows so that in clay mode sun can shine through ?

Color clay mode is the same that the gray one, but it uses the diffuse color or texture to shade the objects.

Clay mode is a internal Octane rendering mode that can't exclude objects. You are going to need to disable this objects in the scene editor if you don't want to see them, or use the plugin override function ... you can add the octane custom obeject plugin to the transparent objects to exclude them from the materials override and keep the specular material with fake shadows.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BorisGoreta » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm

BorisGoreta Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm
Thanks for explaining but I don't understand this last bit. What is octane custom object plugin ?

juanjgon wrote:
you can add the octane custom obeject plugin to the transparent objects to exclude them from the materials override and keep the specular material with fake shadows.

-Juanjo
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm

BorisGoreta Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm
But why is normal EXR save clamped then ? I usually use this one since I know tonemaped version was clamped which doesn't make sense to use with EXR anyway. But now it is the other way around, normal EXR is clamped and tonemaped is not.

juanjgon wrote:
BorisGoreta wrote:I have just blown the image to almost white using imager node and saved two exr images from the IPR windows. Save EXR does not contain HDRI data, Save EXR tonemapped containes HDRI data and I can retrieve the image from almost white to normal intensities.

I am going to ask to the Octane developers about this. As I say before I think that camera response curves are only defined from 0.0 to 1.0 ranges, and this is why tonemapped HDR images are clamped. I am not sure how the Octane internal EXR saver can save tonemapped HDR images without this clamping.

-Juanjo
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 pm

BorisGoreta Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 pm
Is it possible now to use LiveDB materials in LW, there are some nice flaked car paints there I would like to use.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm

juanjgon Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm
Boris, perhaps I don't understand you.

One Octane developer tell me that tonemapped images are always clamped: Camera response curves are not definded beyond 1.0 value so you can't get a full HDR tonemmaped image from Octane with intensity values bigger than 1.0 ... if there is tone mapping, the EXR image should be clamped.

When you save an EXR file using the IPR save function, or the save function available in the rendering preview window, you are using the native EXR saver from Octane (the same than Standalone has). EXR tonemapped files are always clamped in Standalone, and should be also clamped in the plugin.

If you save an image that has intenity values beyond 1.0, this image is not tone mapped, it is linear, without camera response curves applied. As you know the only way to get a linear non clamped image rendering with F9/F10 is to enable the "Get full linear HDRI image" option.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm

juanjgon Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Is it possible now to use LiveDB materials in LW, there are some nice flaked car paints there I would like to use.

Not currently, sorry. You are going to need to load it in Standalone to see the material node graph and get the texture maps, and build the material yourself in Lightwave. The nodes and it's parametes are the same, so in theory is not hard "copy" one material from Standalone node graph to the Lightwave node editor.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 pm

juanjgon Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Thanks for explaining but I don't understand this last bit. What is octane custom object plugin ?

juanjgon wrote:
you can add the octane custom obeject plugin to the transparent objects to exclude them from the materials override and keep the specular material with fake shadows.

-Juanjo

There is a custom object plugin that store Octane rendering parameters for each object. Currently you only have one option, that disable the materials override for this object.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image000047.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Lightwave 3D