OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ build 1.20.6 released

Forums: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ build 1.20.6 released
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ build 1.20.6 released

Postby funk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 pm

funk Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 pm
Great update Juanjo!

I noticed 3 small issues:
1. In the surface editor, the shaderball only appears correct if you have octane nodes connected.
2. In the node editor for surfaces, the "surface" node doesnt show the shaderball correctly (the shaderball appears offset and cropped inside the alpha matte of a circle)
3. If you have a lw node connected to "lightwave material" input, the shaderball displays the lightwave surface instead of the octane surface

Thanks for all your hard work!
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:42 pm

juanjgon Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:42 pm
funk wrote:Great update Juanjo!

I noticed 3 small issues:
1. In the surface editor, the shaderball only appears correct if you have octane nodes connected.
2. In the node editor for surfaces, the "surface" node doesnt show the shaderball correctly (the shaderball appears offset and cropped inside the alpha matte of a circle)
3. If you have a lw node connected to "lightwave material" input, the shaderball displays the lightwave surface instead of the octane surface

Thanks for all your hard work!

Yes, all are know issues ... I can only evaluante the shaderball inside the Octane nodes, so if you don't have an octane node in the surface node editor shader ball doesn't work. Also the LW SDK doesn't tell me where it is drawing the preview ball, and because preview window size is not the same in the surface editor and in the node previews you can see this problem ... the preview is made for the surface editor only.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gordonrobb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 pm

gordonrobb Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 pm
juanjgon wrote:It is not possible at the moment, you need to use more passes to avoid the banding. Anyway if you use 12 or 16 passes the final animation looks nice.

This MB is only a workaround until native Octane MB is ready in Octane 1.5 / 2.0

-Juanjo

Yes, but am I right in assuming that if you increase the passes, you can decrease the samples? (Or whatever they're called.

So my thinking is, do a shot with now MB. Work out how many samples I need it to do, then divide that by how many MB passes I want.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 pm

juanjgon Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 pm
gordonrobb wrote:
Yes, but am I right in assuming that if you increase the passes, you can decrease the samples? (Or whatever they're called.

So my thinking is, do a shot with now MB. Work out how many samples I need it to do, then divide that by how many MB passes I want.

Yes, this is an accumulation buffer. You get the same image quality with for example with 10 passes with 100 samples each pass, than with 20 passes with 50 samples each. Finally you get an image with 1000 samples, but with 20 passes you get better quality MB with little more rendering time.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rojharris » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 pm

rojharris Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 pm
Just installed this Mac OSX Maveriks.

Octane standalone works fine however the LW plugin is crashing layout (11.6) every time?? When loading a demo scene it says 'octane XXX plugin failed to start'.
When starting a clean scene and opening IPR ...Crash!

Any ideas?

Many thank
Roger
rojharris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm

juanjgon Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm
rojharris wrote:Just installed this Mac OSX Maveriks.

Octane standalone works fine however the LW plugin is crashing layout (11.6) every time?? When loading a demo scene it says 'octane XXX plugin failed to start'.
When starting a clean scene and opening IPR ...Crash!

Any ideas?

Many thank
Roger

I will test it tomorrow, but problem is that I don't have a system with Maveriks yet ... do you know if in OSX 10.8 it works fine?

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm
Juanjo, I am loving motion blur!... this is so incredible. Sadly though, using particle emitters and instances does not yield a motion blur... do you think that this will be possible any time in the future, before we get Octane MB?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am

juanjgon Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Juanjo, I am loving motion blur!... this is so incredible. Sadly though, using particle emitters and instances does not yield a motion blur... do you think that this will be possible any time in the future, before we get Octane MB?

Sorry, instances can't be updated in real time without reload scene, so support for MB of instances attached to particles is not possible currently. The only workaround could be an option to reload scene for each pass of each frame, but if scene is complex this could be very slow.

Do you think that could be useful to have MB reloading scene for each pass?

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 am

FrankPooleFloating Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 am
Yes Juanjo.. absolutely! Please add it pal!

Most things you would replace particles with instances are usually pretty low-poly anyway. This should not be a problem. And I promise you J, if you add it, I personally will definitely use it. Even if renders take 4 times longer (which I doubt would be the case). I have been doing some animations with deformations that require full scene reload on every frame, and they usually take less than a second or so per reload.

And some times there are things, wicked-cool things like this, that some of us would definitely want, regardless if it takes a little longer to render. You can always have a disclaimer with a feature like this. This is available, but at a cost... A great example is doing rain w/ splashes (which I posted about yesterday, then deleted.. wanted to test some more to make sure). This is something that I would composite in AE. Rain (and similar effects that would use transparent collision objects - and alpha enabled) is something that screams out for this. There does not seem to be a solid date or Octane version that is going to have true Octane mb.. so if it is not tough to add, again, please do so.

Just did a test with an emitter shooting 18,000 poly hammers into the air at a birth of 1000 hammers a second.. takes less than second to reload scene. Granted, this is just the hammers and daylight system with pathtracing.. nothing else.. but even a semi-complex scene should reload quickly enough to warrant adding this. imho.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:41 am

juanjgon Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:41 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Yes Juanjo.. absolutely! Please add it pal!

Most things you would replace particles with instances are usually pretty low-poly anyway. This should not be a problem. And I promise you J, if you add it, I personally will definitely use it. Even if renders take 4 times longer (which I doubt would be the case). I have been doing some animations with deformations that require full scene reload on every frame, and they usually take less than a second or so per reload.

And some times there are things, wicked-cool things like this, that some of us would definitely want, regardless if it takes a little longer to render. You can always have a disclaimer with a feature like this. This is available, but at a cost... A great example is doing rain w/ splashes (which I posted about yesterday, then deleted.. wanted to test some more to make sure). This is something that I would composite in AE. Rain (and similar effects that would use transparent collision objects - and alpha enabled) is something that screams out for this. There does not seem to be a solid date or Octane version that is going to have true Octane mb.. so if it is not tough to add, again, please do so.

Just did a test with an emitter shooting 18,000 poly hammers into the air at a birth of 1000 hammers a second.. takes less than second to reload scene. Granted, this is just the hammers and daylight system with pathtracing.. nothing else.. but even a semi-complex scene should reload quickly enough to warrant adding this. imho.

I will add it to a new build ASAP ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Lightwave 3D