Volumetric fog and lightshafts

Forums: Volumetric fog and lightshafts
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Volumetric fog and lightshafts

Postby OctaneWannabe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm

OctaneWannabe Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm
Are there any LW sample scenes showing "Volumetric fog and lightshafts" from the 1.20 release?

I'd like to have a shaft of light coming thru colored glass - and also be able to create a spotlight that uses volumetric fog to get that cone of light effect (if that's possible).
Win7-64, dual 8-core Xeons, 128GB RAM, dual nVidia Titans
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volumetric fog and lightshafts

Postby juanjgon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

juanjgon Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am
Here you have a very simple scene that show this effect to play with it. The trick is the sphere with inverted normals parented to the camera. This sphere has the scattering material.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image-000248.jpg
fog_sphere.rar
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

OctaneWannabe Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm
thanks Juanjo!!

Any chance of getting the sample files for the 'Octane Render 1.2 - Release' video on YouTube where it shows the stained glass 'architectural glass' casting beams of light?

In fact, it would be great to have individual LW scenes for all of the features of Octane, if that's not asking too much?

It couldn't hurt Octane's sales to have working samples for all the features?

The faster an Octane demo user can get up to speed, the faster they will purchase!!!
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm

FrankPooleFloating Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm
Wannabe, unfortunately you are stuck with that name. Even if you become a seasoned pro in
Octane a year from now, you shall be forever known as OctaneWannabe... there is absolutely
no way to change your account name later...

I really wish I could drop Floating off the end of my name (it just popped in my head when
I made my account) but alas, there is simply no way to...

:cry:
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

OctaneWannabe Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm
@FrankPooleFloating - Shakespeare's quote from Romeo and Juliet comes to mind, 'A rose by any other name ...." ha ha. Anyway, it matches my Lightwave name.

And the great thing is -- I'll never get private messages from folks who think I'm an expert.

As you are an 'old timer' on this forum - way farther down the learning curve than I am, do you have any Lightwave scene files for the different features of Octane?

It would really be helpful if we had 30 sample files each showing one feature with a readme on why things were done a certain way.

I'm hoping Juanjo will come up with some more, as this would really help to sell Octane - and we all win by bringing in more development dollars.

In fact, having a lot of documented sample files might be more useful (and more fun to create), than adding to the manual?
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 pm

FrankPooleFloating Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 pm
There may be guys around these parts that have time to whip up demo scenes
and maybe some tutorials etc... I am not one of them, unfortunately. Not really
sure Juanjo is either...

But dude, you just really have to get your hands dirty. Get in there and start
experimenting. After you completely read through the Octane manual and
Juanjo's manual, you will have all the ammo you need. This stuff is not rocket
science - it just takes time, patience and determination. If you really wannabe,
you will.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 pm

juanjgon Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 pm
Yes, I know that plugin needs few more things to be complete: more sample scenes, a LW for Octane material library presets and updated docs.

I am now working in the final online manual. In a few days a new online manual using the Otoy Wordpress plataform is going to be ready. I have some new sample scenes for the next release of the plugin, and I want to add a new set of sample materials presets also for the next release. The plugin is currently in beta stage, and I want to finish all online docs and sample scenes before it leaves beta.

Also I want to add a full sample scene for each new Octane feature for the next 1.5+ releases, and materials presets also for this new features.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 pm

OctaneWannabe Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 pm
Juanjo - very glad to hear about the forthcoming sample scenes - and really appreciate the massive amount of work you contribute to the LW plug-in!!!

I've not had much success duplicating the 'OctaneRender Standalone Tutorial: Sunlight Rays / Fog Volume ' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqOZp77ZSLg which uses a stained glass image, path tracing, reflections on the wood floor, candles, etc.

The sample you uploaded in this thread was very useful (especially as it went in a different direction and used Octane differently), but ... I can't seem to modify it to give the very cool look from that Sunlight Rays tutorial.

Would it be possible to create a LW scene that matched that tutorial?

Starting from a known good state is very useful where small changes in parameters can have a large effect on the output.

And having an actual LW scene with all the nodes and objects setup (I'd never have known I needed to reverse normals just by looking at the tutorial) is just invaluable.

Thanks!!!
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

FrankPooleFloating Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm
Holy smokes Wannabe!... I just noticed your system... er, beast.

You easily have a more formidable workstation than 80% or more of the
guys using Octane... nice. You certainly are not lacking in the tools dept.

Very curious: Is that 128GB Registered ECC?.. I know that my measly 16GB
of Reg ECC was not cheap.. I shudder to think what 128GB would cost.
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

OctaneWannabe Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm
I use Eyeon's Fusion (and sometimes Adobe CS6).

Having a large amount of cache RAM comes in handy when working with RED R3D files - as the previews use cache. I may wish I had more when the new Dragon sensor @ 6K comes out.

I always use SuperMicro motherboards, and this X9DAi does in fact require registered. Of course, I end up with ECC which is a real benefit.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... /x9dai.cfm
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Lightwave 3D