Feature Request: Matte Objects & Invisible Shadowcasters

Forums: Feature Request: Matte Objects & Invisible Shadowcasters
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Feature Request: Matte Objects & Invisible Shadowcasters

Postby MontanaJoe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 am

MontanaJoe Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 am
First off, let me say, I love Octane for Lightwave... it's generating some FANTASTIC renders for a project I'm working on.

A genuine heartfelt request, please, because it's causing a lot of trouble achieving certain looks with the shots.

First, invisible shadowcasting. It would be nice to have an object that doesn't show up in the render at all except to be a matte object that casts shadows while casting no shadows at all on itself and remaining invisible to camera... I have shots looking through bars where the bars need to shadow the creatures up close (in front of the camera) and for now I have to do the work in comp because I can't make the bars invisible. It's ten extra steps and two additional renders I'd like to avoid.

Second, zero alpha matte objects that hide the objects behind but cast no shadow on themselves or anything (unless chosen)... to be able to build mattes inside Octane for most things would save on a lot of render time for areas I won't be seeing after I hide them in comp anyway.

So, thanks again for a great plug-in, hope these ideas can be implemented soon (and if there's something I'm missing in the textures I should be using now, please let me know!) If there's a very soon update including these capabilities coming, that'd be even more fantastic!

Keep up the great work!

Joe Lawson
MontanaJoe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D