Poser / Daz to Lightwave?

Forums: Poser / Daz to Lightwave?
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Poser / Daz to Lightwave?

Postby gold » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 pm

gold Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Hi All,

has anyone figured a solution for importing Poser/ Daz for LW / Octane? Yes I know about using the plugin and FBX. I'm talking about the huge list of materials that come in needing conversion. It's really overwhelming, as Daz/ Poser seem to have a very large number of material zones. Is there a way
to speed up conversion to LW / Octane materials?

thanks!
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Poser / Daz to Lightwave?

Postby juanjgon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am

juanjgon Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am
I think that currently this is not possible, there is no way to convert materials among Octane plugins, or even between a plugin and Octane standalone.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gold » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 am

gold Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 am
Thanks -Juanjo,

I was afraid of that. The poserfusion plugin does a good job bringing in characters, but
the maze of materials for Octane conversion is really tedious!

It be a great help to transfer materials between plugins/ apps!
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm
Hey Gold

I haven't touched Poser in over a year, but if you export an OBJ, can't you make it all one surface and hit it with one big uv?.. then just select connected geos in Modeler and make surfaces anew.

Also, it would be a tragedy if you were not aware that you can select entire surfaces in Modeler with the Surf menu in Polygon Statistics (w key) and add to selections with the [+] and subtract selections with [-]... you can bang thru the task of combining and making new surfs pretty darn quick with this method... I'm sure you knew this. Thought I'd point it out - just in case.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gold » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 am

gold Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 am
Hey Gold

I haven't touched Poser in over a year, but if you export an OBJ, can't you make it all one surface and hit it with one big uv?.. then just select connected geos in Modeler and make surfaces anew.

Hi FrankPooleFloating,

Thanks for reply. Sounds like a great suggestion. Will look into it asap.

Also, it would be a tragedy if you were not aware that you can select entire surfaces in Modeler with the Surf menu in Polygon Statistics (w key) and add to selections with the [+] and subtract selections with [-]... you can bang thru the task of combining and making new surfs pretty darn quick with this method... I'm sure you knew this. Thought I'd point it out - just in case.

No wasnt aware of this. I'd call myself an advanced beginner - so can use all the help I can get!

Much appreciated!
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm
Hey - that Polygon Statistics menu is also great for quickly finding and killing ngons
(polys with more than 4 vertices)!.. which can cause errors/trouble in Layout.

Get into the habit of using Polygon Statistics (just before you finalize model and
getting ready to send to Layout) and always select >4 Vertices and hit it
with Shift+t to triple those bad-boys.

Although, for the ends of cylinders, it is often better to select those ngons and then
go to Multiply > More (under Subdivide menu by default) > Make Pole... this makes
a fan of triangles with one point at center (like a pizza pie). It has been my experience
that this makes for much cleaner looking (and manageable) polys.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D