Area light with light ID shadow visible on other objects

Forums: Area light with light ID shadow visible on other objects
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Area light with light ID shadow visible on other objects

Postby rubberchicken » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:11 am

rubberchicken Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:11 am
I set the area light to a specific ID to illuminate s specific mesh. This works fine but unless I set general visibility to zero that light shows as a black shape on other objects. For an area light that acts like a light I can set visibility to zero and the light works correctly on the specific mesh. However I aslo want to use this to create a black flag, but only affecting the same mesh. In this case visibility has to be 1, but then the black shape is again visible on other objects. Is there a way around this?
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Area light with light ID shadow visible on other objects

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:01 am

face_off Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:01 am
Hi.

As this is a general Octane render engine question you may not get an answer here, so I suggest asking it in the Octane Standalone 2022.1 release thread.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rubberchicken » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:17 am

rubberchicken Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:17 am
OK thanks Paul, as I'm new to Octane I'm not really sure if something is specific to Modo or not.
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 pm

funk Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 pm
Unless you really understand how standalone works, I think it might be better to ask here. For items like lights, the plugin is converting modo items to Octane items and they don't always match.

Anyway it would be much easier to understand what you're trying to do if you posted a really simply scene, or at least some screenshots
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rubberchicken » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:26 am

rubberchicken Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:26 am
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this, been a bit swamped. I've attached a simple scene that shows my issue and a few screen grabs. In this example an area light for the sphere only is set to ID 8. The toroid then has ID 8 deflected, so the light does not affect it. There's a second area light with no adjustments, that should affect all items. If I set both area lights to general usability of 0 then the sphere light only shows a reflection on the sphere, which is as expected. However if it is set to 1 then the reflection on the sphere is still the same but we get an additional black reflection on the toroid. Both items are 100% metallic.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 171649.png

Edited to add the file, apparently, LXO files are not allowed on this forum.
Attachments
Area Light Non-Visible Issue.zip
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo