OctaneRender 2022 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2022 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Kernel Overide

Postby rrbarb » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:42 pm

rrbarb Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:42 pm
Hi Paul,
With the Octane License changing to Studio+ there comes an issue with being able to use versions previous to 2022. We use Modo and C4D.
In C4D there is a kernel compatibility over ride that allows the user to set the kernel to behave as the previous versions.
We are stuck on 2020.1.5, 2021.1.5 for some particular master sets used in our modo workflow. Can you implement this in the Modo plugin?

./rrb

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 11.28.19 AM.png
C4D Kernel Compatibility
rrbarb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Kernel Overide

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 pm

face_off Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 pm
rrbarb wrote:Hi Paul,
With the Octane License changing to Studio+ there comes an issue with being able to use versions previous to 2022. We use Modo and C4D.
In C4D there is a kernel compatibility over ride that allows the user to set the kernel to behave as the previous versions.
We are stuck on 2020.1.5, 2021.1.5 for some particular master sets used in our modo workflow. Can you implement this in the Modo plugin?

./rrb

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 11.28.19 AM.png
Hi Rick - I have looked into this, but implementing it in the Modo plugin is quite difficult, sorry. Perhaps OTOY can assist by providing an Enterprise license for that you can continue with the 2021.1 version of the plugin?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 2022 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby fform » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:34 am

fform Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:34 am
First off, thank you Paul for working on the Modo plugin, especially for macOS / Octane X! Last time I tried it, things were pretty rough. Ok, my questions.

It's really difficult to figure out what versions/releases exist and are a part of Octane. I've made a document that tries to capture what's going on here https://www.figma.com/file/Vsn7Cn9m19wX ... g399ZFAz-1

The thing I don't understand is Prime. What is Octane prime? From the trial page, it looks like it's both a mac specific title for a limited version that's free until Otoy decides otherwise AND it's the name for a completely free version that's just for Blender/Unity/Unreal. I can't see anywhere you can actually pay for Prime, just that you can try it. I was able to get the Prime version working on macOS 13 in Modo 16 without any otoy license (I think I clicked the trial though, but that page doesn't even list Modo as a plugin.)

I also see in your post here there's no Studio+ version for mac, which you've called OctaneRender but elsewhere is called Octane X. Is there no reason to subscribe if you're on mac?

Also, you've got a note about network rendering with a dedicated slave but the network slave on otoy downloads is PR14 (I'm not sure how the PR versions map but I'm pretty sure it's not useful anymore right?)

Finally, you've got patch versions listed on this forum post (current is .189) Is there some place patch versions are listed? Is that 189 just the modo plugin version?

Thanks for helping sort me out and thank you again for working on the Modo plugin!

Will
fform
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:42 am

face_off Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:42 am
fform wrote:First off, thank you Paul for working on the Modo plugin, especially for macOS / Octane X! Last time I tried it, things were pretty rough. Ok, my questions.

It's really difficult to figure out what versions/releases exist and are a part of Octane. I've made a document that tries to capture what's going on here https://www.figma.com/file/Vsn7Cn9m19wX ... g399ZFAz-1

The thing I don't understand is Prime. What is Octane prime? From the trial page, it looks like it's both a mac specific title for a limited version that's free until Otoy decides otherwise AND it's the name for a completely free version that's just for Blender/Unity/Unreal. I can't see anywhere you can actually pay for Prime, just that you can try it. I was able to get the Prime version working on macOS 13 in Modo 16 without any otoy license (I think I clicked the trial though, but that page doesn't even list Modo as a plugin.)

I also see in your post here there's no Studio+ version for mac, which you've called OctaneRender but elsewhere is called Octane X. Is there no reason to subscribe if you're on mac?

Also, you've got a note about network rendering with a dedicated slave but the network slave on otoy downloads is PR14 (I'm not sure how the PR versions map but I'm pretty sure it's not useful anymore right?)

Finally, you've got patch versions listed on this forum post (current is .189) Is there some place patch versions are listed? Is that 189 just the modo plugin version?

Thanks for helping sort me out and thank you again for working on the Modo plugin!

Will

Hi Will

Most of these questions are better answered by OTOY - however I will try to help with a few of them....

>> What is Octane prime?

Prime is the free-tier for Octane (and potentially doesn't support LiveDb, cloud rendering, etc). At the moment, all macOS plugins are available only in a Prime release. My guess is that once Octane 2022/2023 on macOS supports all the Octane features for Windows/Linux, it will transfer from Prime to Studio+ (but that is a guess - check with OTOY for a more accurate answer).

>> which you've called OctaneRender but elsewhere is called Octane X

The macOS version of OctaneRender is called Octane X. Due to some compilation constraints, parts of the macOS version of the OctaneRender for Modo plugin still refer to OctaneRender instead of Octane X.

>> Is there no reason to subscribe if you're on mac?

There is no reason to subscribe at the moment.

>> Also, you've got a note about network rendering with a dedicated slave but the network slave on otoy downloads is PR14 (I'm not sure how the PR versions map but I'm pretty sure it's not useful anymore right?)

I doubt network rendering will work on the PRIME version of the plugin (but again, check with OTOY). You would need to use the Windows Studio+ version for this. And yes, the PR14 version is no longer useful.

>> Finally, you've got patch versions listed on this forum post (current is .189) Is there some place patch versions are listed? Is that 189 just the modo plugin version?

Yes, the patch version differentiates plugin releases made in-between Octane releases. I would generally not do a Linux or macOS release until a patch release was "stable", but if you release need something from a particular version in the macOS plugin, I can do a macOS build.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Gutmann » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am

Gutmann Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am
Hey Paul,

I was previously using Modo 15.1v2 and upgraded to 16.1v1 yesterday.
When using 15.1v2, after applying an octane override to a material, and then converting the default Glossy material using the 'Convert to (Diffuse, Specular, Metallic...) command,
I would not get a Modo popup asking if I want to delete the previous material.

Since upgrading to 16.1v1, every material conversion brings up a dialog asking if I want to delete the previous material. After years of Octane use, this is not what I see as "normal" behavior.
I realise this is probably a Foundry issue, but how did you get around this 'issue' with previous versions of Modo.

I know that I can set that dialog to 'YES-always for dialogs like this', but it is not OCTANE specific, has negative effects on other parts of Modo, system wide, that want to show this dialog...for example, when deleting things (items, materials, groups...).

Cheers,
Toby
Gutmann
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:00 am

face_off Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:00 am
Gutmann wrote:Hey Paul,

I was previously using Modo 15.1v2 and upgraded to 16.1v1 yesterday.
When using 15.1v2, after applying an octane override to a material, and then converting the default Glossy material using the 'Convert to (Diffuse, Specular, Metallic...) command,
I would not get a Modo popup asking if I want to delete the previous material.

Since upgrading to 16.1v1, every material conversion brings up a dialog asking if I want to delete the previous material. After years of Octane use, this is not what I see as "normal" behavior.
I realise this is probably a Foundry issue, but how did you get around this 'issue' with previous versions of Modo.

I know that I can set that dialog to 'YES-always for dialogs like this', but it is not OCTANE specific, has negative effects on other parts of Modo, system wide, that want to show this dialog...for example, when deleting things (items, materials, groups...).

Cheers,
Toby
I just had a look at this, and got the same behavior on Modo15. So perhaps you had replied 'YES-always for dialogs like this' on Modo15 some time ago and not realised it? This warning seems to pop whenever you delete anything in the schematic that has something plugged into it. I haved changed the next release of the plugin so it suppressed this error. There will probably be a bunch of other situations where this happens, so let me know as you find them and I will see if they can be fixed.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Gutmann » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am

Gutmann Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am
face_off wrote:I just had a look at this, and got the same behavior on Modo15. So perhaps you had replied 'YES-always for dialogs like this' on Modo15 some time ago and not realised it? This warning seems to pop whenever you delete anything in the schematic that has something plugged into it. I haved changed the next release of the plugin so it suppressed this error. There will probably be a bunch of other situations where this happens, so let me know as you find them and I will see if they can be fixed.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I too looked at this again, made sure to reset all warnings in the preferences, reset full configs, trashed configs...and I don't get the same behavior in Modo15 as you do.
Every time, the expected behavior of just converting the material, without a dialog box popping up, is what happened.

Anyway...I look forward to the next release for Modo16 to see if this has changed...I know it's a small issue but anything that reduces a couple of mouse moves and clicks throughout the day, saves time :)

Cheers,
Toby
Gutmann
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:00 am

face_off Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:00 am
Gutmann wrote:
face_off wrote:I just had a look at this, and got the same behavior on Modo15. So perhaps you had replied 'YES-always for dialogs like this' on Modo15 some time ago and not realised it? This warning seems to pop whenever you delete anything in the schematic that has something plugged into it. I haved changed the next release of the plugin so it suppressed this error. There will probably be a bunch of other situations where this happens, so let me know as you find them and I will see if they can be fixed.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I too looked at this again, made sure to reset all warnings in the preferences, reset full configs, trashed configs...and I don't get the same behavior in Modo15 as you do.
Every time, the expected behavior of just converting the material, without a dialog box popping up, is what happened.

Anyway...I look forward to the next release for Modo16 to see if this has changed...I know it's a small issue but anything that reduces a couple of mouse moves and clicks throughout the day, saves time :)

Cheers,
Toby
If you are on the Slack Foundry channel octane-for-modo, you can get a test build of the next release which fixes the above at https://foundry-modo.slack.com/archives/C04MEKS3G07/p1677825238892329. I still have a few other changes to make before posting it as an "official" build here.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:14 am

face_off Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:14 am
I have updated the Windows and Linux installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2022.1.1
- Fixed issue where Octane Override image Border Modes were not being set correctly when a Modo Image Texture Locator was plugged into the image node
- Stopped the plugin from turning OFF Show Item Relationships in the Schematic when creating an Octane Override
- Fixed a number of issues related to Material Import and Export (to the LocalDb). These functions should now work as expected.
- Added Cuvature Visibility to the Octane tab of Volume items
- Resolved windowing ordering issue on macOS
- Added a Clay Mode selector on the Viewport toolbar
- Suppressed the Modo warning "The item XXX is referenced by other items" when changing a material type
- Fixed crash that resulted when trying to add a Channel Pick or Channel Merge node to the schematic
- Added additional information to the error popup that happens when you try to connect two incompatible pins in the schematic
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added command 'octane.unfold' to unfold the currently selected schematic node and all it's children. Does not work if more than one schematic node is selected, or if the select the node is not a channel modifier
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added "Add Dynamic Pin Channel" to the Composite Output AOV node to add up to an additional 10 input nodes
- NOTE: Clicking "Replace As Clip" on an image file which is used in an Octane Override will break the link between that clips Filename and the Octane Image Node. This issue has been reported as a Modo bug to Foundry
- The Universal Camera "Aperture Roundness" and "Aperture Rotation" are now converted more accurately to the Universal camera (which uses different units for these pins than the Thin Lens camera). I was still unable to get the settings to match, so more work may be required on this.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:40 am

face_off Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:40 am
I have added the macOS PRIME installer for 2022.1.1.190 to the top of thread now.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo