OctaneRender 2021 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2021 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 2021 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 am

face_off Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 am
goldnoak08 wrote:Hello,

I'm getting bizarre crashes on Modo 15.2v1 Linux with the latest Octane plugin. I have Elementary OS 5 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) with an NVIDIA Quadro P5000.

Every time I run the Octane viewport within the Octane layout Modo abruptly crashes. But when I maximize the Octane viewport and run the renderer Modo is fine and renders as it is expected.

I did a further test if the layout is the issue, and Modo appears to run okay with the Octane viewport as a separate palette in the default Modo layout. This is not always the case as I have gotten one abrupt crash from several test cases.

In the terminal, I get this message:
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Foundry::Breakpad::ModoMinidumpSenderDialog "", which already has a layout
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Foundry::Breakpad::ModoMinidumpSenderDialog "", which already has a layout
Segmentation fault

I looked through some old posts similar to this and there was something that happened with Octane 3 a few years ago but in my case Modo doesn't crash when opening: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55078&start=230#p303332

With the test that works as a separate viewport on a palette, interacting with the Octane controls, like compositing, camera properties etc., also causes instability.

Can someone confirm this? Thank you
I can confirm this crash. It seems to have been introduced with Modo15.2. Modo15.0 is fine. I have reported that problem to Foundry. I suggest reverting back to Modo15.0 until I have a response from Foundry.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby DERJUNG » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:42 pm

DERJUNG Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:42 pm
Hi Paul, I just wanted to say thanks for the Modo support over the years. But now the time has come for me to say goodbye here. Unfortunately there is still no Octane X for Modo 15 since March and I am tired of waiting. VRAY for Modo 15 has also been discontinued and I have now not renewed my subscription. The situation is really stupid. So I decided to switch to Cinema. Since it seems to get the best support and all other DCCs will follow.
I still wish a Merry Christmas and festive season and good bye.
MacPro 12 [email protected] Ghz - 48GB 2933Mhz DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32GB
DERJUNG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 am

face_off Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 am
I have updated the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2021.1.1
- Fixed crash when clicking Apply on a Render Pass when the Octane Viewport was open
- Added the Solo Node button to the Material Tools panel. Select an Octane texture node in the schematic whilst the render is running to show the output of that texture in the render. Restarting the render clears the currently solo'd node
- Added the C4D noise node
- Fixed issue where OCIO settings were not being exported to the ORBX generated from the octane.saveAnimation command
- Fixed issue where the Light->Visible On Scattering Volumes checkbox was not working
- Added the Octane Object Layer node for Modo Volume items. So there is now a new Octane tab for Volume items.
- Fixed Operation pin option names for the Binary and Unary Math nodes
- Added LiveDB/LocalDB Import and Export buttons below the Material Tools panel on the OctaneRender layout

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby yoshikai » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:58 am

yoshikai Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:58 am
Crashes on multi-layered EXR saves.
Crashes on both animated and still images.
I've only selected the basics like Cryptmatte, AO, denoise, depth, etc., but it crashes.
The previous version saved without problems.
yoshikai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:42 pm

face_off Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:42 pm
yoshikai wrote:Crashes on multi-layered EXR saves.
I've only selected the basics like Cryptmatte, AO, denoise, depth, etc., but it crashes.
Yes, unfortunately there is a core Octane issue in 2021.1.1 causing a crash when saving cryptomatte passes. It is awaiting a fix by OTOY.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby yoshikai » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:47 am

yoshikai Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:47 am
face_off wrote:
yoshikai wrote:Crashes on multi-layered EXR saves.
Yes, unfortunately there is a core Octane issue in 2021.1.1 causing a crash when saving cryptomatte passes. It is awaiting a fix by OTOY.

Paul

Thanks for the info.
I see, it was caused by cryptmatt.
yoshikai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby evan.musin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 pm

evan.musin Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 pm
Hi Paul,

Since installing Octane Render 2021.xx, I have noticed when saving out PNG files, it saves the PNGs with an embedded sRGB profile. Pre-2021.xx, it would save the PNGs with no profile at all. Is there a way to set a legacy save with no profile? Our production pipeline has taken a slight hit in consistency due to this. Thank you!
evan.musin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:06 am

face_off Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:06 am
Since installing Octane Render 2021.xx, I have noticed when saving out PNG files, it saves the PNGs with an embedded sRGB profile. Pre-2021.xx, it would save the PNGs with no profile at all. Is there a way to set a legacy save with no profile? Our production pipeline has taken a slight hit in consistency due to this. Thank you!
Hi - I think this is a question you need to ask OTOY, as it is related to the core Octane render engine. I suggest raising the question with them via the Support button at the top of this thread.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby evan.musin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:24 pm

evan.musin Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:24 pm
face_off wrote:Hi - I think this is a question you need to ask OTOY, as it is related to the core Octane render engine. I suggest raising the question with them via the Support button at the top of this thread.

Thanks

Paul

Thank you, I will ask OTOY support.
evan.musin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:17 am

karl Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:17 am
evan.musin wrote:Hi Paul,

Hi Evan,

This change was made to ensure exported images display the same in other applications as they do in Octane - we had issues where users would open exported PNGs in Photoshop, where the working space was set to something different, and complain that the image looked wrong. There is currently no way to prevent the inclusion of an sRGB profile - the idea was that since Octane specifically considers the image to be sRGB, it ought to always put that information in the file, and viewers can choose to ignore it if they want.

I am curious as to what problems the inclusion of the profile is causing - is it that you want to use a different profile, or just that the data is superfluous, or something else? If Octane had a setting to control the embedding of a profile, would just an on/off checkbox suffice? Would you want to control this per export or just in one overall Octane setting?
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo