Localdb going to wrong location...

Forums: Localdb going to wrong location...
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Localdb going to wrong location...

Postby LFedit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 pm

LFedit Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Me again... sorry. We are working perfecting this sharing workflow. It looks like we want to go fbx for our objects then orbx for the materials for them objects. It should work great going back from c4d to modo with octane as the render engine.

I read the docs here https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginM ... ocalDB.htm

So I set that in my preferences. But it still brings me to a local folder. See screenshot for details. The only reason the orbx material is in that local folder is I copy and pasted it from that shared location, then it worked. But I want the command to bring me right to that location set in my preferences.

Thanks!
Attachments
Localdb.jpg
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Localdb going to wrong location...

Postby face_off » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:22 am

face_off Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:22 am
I'm sorry, I don't understand what question you are asking.

The preferences set the folder location where LiveDb texturemaps are stored.

The octane.importLocalDb imports from the LocalDb folder into the Modo scene, and extracts any files from the LocalDb ORBX file into the LiveDb texturemaps folder.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:33 pm

LFedit Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:33 pm
Hey Paul,

Oh I see, it COPIES it to that location that is set. But every time I want to import from a saved location I have to Navigate to the db we have created that is shared.

Makes sense.

So then if we want to edit an image map or something in that imported orbx file from the DB. We have to go to the assets location that was copied and not the original image location correct?

Thanks
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:20 am

face_off Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:20 am
So then if we want to edit an image map or something in that imported orbx file from the DB. We have to go to the assets location that was copied and not the original image location correct?
Correct.

So that folder could be a network drive, and you just need to edit the file once in order for it to change on all render stations.

There is a potential workflow which you could explore which might be useful (and I only quickly tested this, so there might be some gotchya's):

- Open Octane Standalone, and open an ORBX (say for example, the Chestnut Rushmore LiveDb material. Select the node and "Copy"
- When Modo is rendering with Octane, you can add a NodeGraph node, and Edit Node. You can then Paste the node above, and it pastes the texturemap location reference from the .ORBX file

When the above is done, the Texturemap is loaded from the ORBX file, rather than a physical file on your hard disk.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:22 pm

LFedit Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:22 pm
Got it. Thanks for the replies. We are working it all over. Its just tricky going from Modo to C4d as well as using a third party plugin so it all works in unison. We think we have it figured out. Thanks again Paul
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo