Proxies workflow

Forums: Proxies workflow
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Proxies workflow

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am

face_off Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am
Dingbat wrote:thanks

PM sent
It seems to be rendering OK for me (although you didn't provide the texture map's so I cannot be 100% certain). Which version (ie. release number) of the Octane plugin are you using please?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am

Dingbat Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am
my bad. i was really busy so sent in a rush and forgot textures.

however i think i've found the issue.

if you create a mesh and convert to DM then everything works OK:

1. create a mesh (a plane should do)
2. assign a material (a textured material makes the issue clearer but i think any material will do)
3. select the mesh and make it a Deferred Mesh
4. render - the mesh renders OK

however if you import a Presets and then convert to DM textures and mapping seem to not be respected:

2. assign a material (a textured material makes the issue clearer but i think any material will do)
3. save the mesh as a preset
4. open a new scene and load the preset you just made - it should render exactly the same as before
5. select the mesh and make it a Deferred Mesh
6. render - textures are missing
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Dingbat Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm
am i missing something or does Octane not support replicated deferred meshes?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 am

face_off Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 am
3. save the mesh as a preset
4. open a new scene and load the preset you just made - it should render exactly the same as before
5. select the mesh and make it a Deferred Mesh
6. render - textures are missing
Hi

I think this is happening because there are multiple layers of masks in the Shader Tree for the Deferred Mesh, and the plugin will only handle a single layer. If you change the top layer (the .lxl material mask) to Polygon Tag "All" it seems to resolve the issue. You can also turn on the Kernel->Settings->Render Cache it resolves the problem (although there are issues with the Render Cache you should be careful of).

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 am

Dingbat Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 am
thanks Paul but that's not the case. if i change to polygon tag "All" the meshes appear but the materials are not respected.

if you follow the simple procedure in my earlier post you will note that this is only an issue if you try to create a DM from a mesh that was previously a Preset.

however all this is likely irrelevant because unless i'm missing somethjing it looks like Deferred Meshes cannot be replicated. can you pls confirm?

Untitled-7.png
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am

face_off Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am
however all this is likely irrelevant because unless i'm missing somethjing it looks like Deferred Meshes cannot be replicated. can you pls confirm?
I can confirm this - only normal Modo "Mesh" items can be replicated in the Octane plugin.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Dingbat Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 pm
face_off wrote:I can confirm this - only normal Modo "Mesh" items can be replicated in the Octane plugin.
Paul

thanks for confirming. that's a shame and it makes the discussion above redundant for me.

is that something that can be added or is it not possible at this time?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am

face_off Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am
is that something that can be added or is it not possible at this time?
I think there are a lot of other Octane 2020.1 and 2020.2 features that users would be wanting me to add for something like this, so I don't think it's something I could look at in the near term. I /think/ you can scatter/replicate an Octane ORBX proxy, so you could save the Deferred Mesh to ORBX and use it as an Octane Proxy to achieve what you are looking for.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 am

Dingbat Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 am
face_off wrote:I think there are a lot of other Octane 2020.1 and 2020.2 features that users would be wanting me to add for something like this, so I don't think it's something I could look at in the near term. I /think/ you can scatter/replicate an Octane ORBX proxy, so you could save the Deferred Mesh to ORBX and use it as an Octane Proxy to achieve what you are looking for.

this is pretty much what i do but from a workflow POV it's not pretty or efficient, but i get that you need to prioritise features.

a simple example though - say i need to populate a park with different plants and trees. i can replicate ORBXs, which works very well, but the problem is i can't see where the meshes are placed in OpenGL, so it makes it tricky to populate as needed. i can't use 'real' mesh plants because they slow everything down and increase scene size unnecessarily. so the only option is to use Deferred meshes which work well in that they keep the scene light, but they're not rendered by Octane, so i need to duplicate all replicators and duplicate an ORBX for each DM and so on and basically have 2 sets of replicators, one for MODO and one for Octane.

if Octane could render replicated deferred meshes this would be a very simple process.

or even if we could have the Octane Proxy tab on Deferred meshes (like we do with regular meshes)? that would help a lot as we could then use deferred meshes to place everything and simply point Octane to the required ORBX. would save a lot of time and effort.
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 am

Hesekiel2517 Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 am
Hi Dingbat,

i think the solution to your problem is to create a lowpoly Version of your highres Mesh (or a simple cube with the right dimensions) to use them in the Meshlayer you use as a proxy. So you can see your lowres Meshes in the viewport, but Octane will pick up your prepared Orbx for rendering.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo