Proxies workflow

Forums: Proxies workflow
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Proxies workflow

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am

face_off Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hi Dingbat,

i think the solution to your problem is to create a lowpoly Version of your highres Mesh (or a simple cube with the right dimensions) to use them in the Meshlayer you use as a proxy. So you can see your lowres Meshes in the viewport, but Octane will pick up your prepared Orbx for rendering.
Yes, you can use a Modo cube Mesh Item and attach the ORBX proxy to it, so you can see the positioning in the Modo OpenGL window.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am

Dingbat Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am
face_off wrote:

i think the solution to your problem is to create a lowpoly Version of your highres Mesh (or a simple cube with the right dimensions) to use them in the Meshlayer you use as a proxy. So you can see your lowres Meshes in the viewport, but Octane will pick up your prepared Orbx for rendering.
Yes, you can use a Modo cube Mesh Item and attach the ORBX proxy to it, so you can see the positioning in the Modo OpenGL window.

Paul

i do that sometimes, but it's just wasting time on really tedious stuff if you have a large library of trees and plants

and also if i need to switch to the MODO render engine for any reason, the render will be completely different as MODO will only render the low poly versions.

attaching the ORBX to a deferred mesh, in the same way you can attach it to a regular mesh would be a great compromise, and shouldn't be too difficult to add?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:14 am

face_off Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:14 am
Dingbat wrote:
face_off wrote:

Paul

i do that sometimes, but it's just wasting time on really tedious stuff if you have a large library of trees and plants

and also if i need to switch to the MODO render engine for any reason, the render will be completely different as MODO will only render the low poly versions.

attaching the ORBX to a deferred mesh, in the same way you can attach it to a regular mesh would be a great compromise, and shouldn't be too difficult to add?
I am really sorry, but this is not an easy feature to add, and there is a long backlog if other features that I need to implement, so it's not something I can do in the short to medium term.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Dingbat Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm
face_off wrote:I am really sorry, but this is not an easy feature to add, and there is a long backlog if other features that I need to implement, so it's not something I can do in the short to medium term

fair enough. thanks for considering
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo