correct way to use displacement map

Forums: correct way to use displacement map
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

correct way to use displacement map

Postby rodney71 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 am

rodney71 Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 am
so i am running into a puzzling mess whenever i try to plug in a displacement map in my model. I want it to apply the map to the twist off cap of my model and have a uv map assigned to just that area.
this shows what it should look like from the modo renderer.
Clipboard Image (1).png

And this is my setup that plugs the displacement map into my mix node. as soon as i do that, the white material turns to clear and separates the model into separate pieces as you see in the Octane render view
Clipboard Image (2).png

what is the correct way to set this up in the octane node setup? here is the sample file to troubleshoot if you're interested in helping a newcomer out.

thank you kindly,
Rod.
Attachments
shot cap_disp.zip
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Rod
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel core i7 920 (2.66 GHz quadcore)
12 gig RAM Kingston HyperX
BFG GTX 285 OCX
CPU cooling - Noctua NH-U12P SE2
OCZ Vertex Turbo 120 GB Sata II SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
rodney71
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: correct way to use displacement map

Postby funk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm

funk Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm
I noticed some of your polys weren't part of the UV map which was selected for displacement. One of Octane's quirks is that all polygons need to be UVed for texture displacement.

Select all polys that have no UVs, do a quick UV projection, then shrink them down in your UV map. Place them in a section where your UV texture map color is 0,0,0 (or 0.5 in your case).
NOTE: Try not to make them too small in the UV map, otherwise Octane seems to create artifacts in your scene for some reason...

I would also recommend you use a 32 bit EXR for your displacement. Make sure your undisplaced color is exactly 0,0,0 (or 0.5,0.5,0.5), to avoid any displacement on polys where you dont want it.

octane_displacment_uv_everything.png
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: correct way to use displacement map

Postby rodney71 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:12 am

rodney71 Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:12 am
you know...i was beginning to suspect that uv limitation but didn't want to assume anything. thanks for making that crystal clear for me. man, if you're ever in Portland let me buy you a beer. you've been so helpful.
Rod.
Rod
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel core i7 920 (2.66 GHz quadcore)
12 gig RAM Kingston HyperX
BFG GTX 285 OCX
CPU cooling - Noctua NH-U12P SE2
OCZ Vertex Turbo 120 GB Sata II SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
rodney71
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer