OctaneRender 4 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OctaneRender 4 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:30 am

face_off Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:30 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender 4 for Modo - TEST and STABLE release.

Modo Version
Windows : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 64bit
OSX : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on Macintosh OS X 64bit El Capitan onwards
Linux : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on 64bit Linux

License upgrade
Unless you have a subscription license, you will have to upgrade your version 3 licenses to version 4. This upgrade is free and can be done via these 4 steps:

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.

Network Rendering
For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Standalone 4.00.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Modo version
- OctaneRender for Modo version (ie. 2.0.10.16)
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version

Prior to reporting issues, please try Modo->System->Open User Folder->Shutdown Modo->then delete the MODO[version].CFG file and restart Modo.

The most important part of resolving a problem is me being able to re-produce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.

For more information
- Read the on-line manual, including the FAQ, Troubleshooting Guide and Limitations sections
- Watch the video tutorials at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59793
- Watch the video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCItLUW7oheOp5vCGgkCCw
- Watch the amazing PixelFondue videos at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59793
- Post your question on this forum thread

Download Links

Current STABLE build (Octane 4.05)

Previous STABLE build (Octane 4.04)

Release Notes

4.04.0.145 (25-May-2019)
- Fixed error where changing a color property from an item that was not a material (ie. the white balance) was not live updating the Octane viewport
- Fixed "Mesh not present in mesh item map when adding to mesh container" displaying when using the octane.saveAnimation command on a scene with a blank mesh used as an instance source
- Moving the Modo Camera via the OpenGL viewport now live-updates in the Octane Viewport

4.04.0.144 (22-May-2019)
- Fixed performance issue there "Refreshing Materials" was taking too long when updating a Modo material
- Fixed bug where "Add Nodegraph" could not be enabled
- Fixed bug where Modo would crash if you deleted a group locator whilst rendering in Octane
- Slight improvement to the speed with which geometry is loaded into Octane when the "Refreshing Octane Geometry" dialog is shown

4.04.0.143 (7-May-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 4.04
- Implemented performance improvements when loading and updating scenes with large numbers of mesh items with Live Geometry Update on
- Changed the Preferences->Default Live Geometry Update from Off to On (given the above performance improvements)
- Changed the Preferences->Update on Mouse Button Release to Off
- Fixed crash when adding a camera or duplicating a camera when the Viewport was open
- Added "Viewport Refresh Interval" to the Preferences->Octane panel and set the default Viewport Refresh Interval to 30ms
- Re-arranged "Create Texture" menu items in the Schematic to match Octane Standalone

2018.1.0.141 (5-Mar-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1 RC6
- Added the Cryptomatte render passes as per Octane 2018.1
- Added additional Octane 2018.1 Kernel pins
- Added support for Octane 2018.1 Vertex Attributes. Assign an RGB, RGBA or Weight map to a Modo Mesh, and then set Live Geometry Update ON for that mesh. Then create an Octane Override for the mesh material group and plug a Color Vertex Attribute or Greyscale Vertex Attribute into a texture pin. A Modo Shader Tree "Vertex Map Texture" can also be added to the Schematic and plug the vmap channel into the "Name" pin of the Octane Vertex Attribute node.
- Added the 2018.1 Vectron geometry item. To use this, click the Modo Mesh item "Add Mesh to Schematic" button. Then add a "New Geometry"->"Vectron" from the OctaneRender layout onto the Schematic and plugin the Vectron output into the Modo Mesh "Octane Geometry" channel. IMPORTANT: Live Geometry Update must be enabled on the Mesh item to render the Vectron
- Overhaul of the capturing of Modo changes and reflecting them in the Octane Viewport. More changes should now be detected, and slight performance gain
- Fixed issue where Meshes were not rendering if Render was ON for the Mesh but the visibility was OFF
- Modo Mesh Octane ORBX Proxies can now be used as instance and replicator sources. IMPORTANT: Live Geometry Update must now be enabled on the Mesh item to select and render an ORBX proxy. If a Modo Mesh item has both a proxy assigned and a Vectron connect, the Vectron is loaded
- The Octane 2018.1 Volumetrix Spotlight has not yet been implemented

4.02.1.140 (14-Feb-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 4.02.1
- Fixed issue there filename outside an assembly were being ignored
- Fixed issue where changing the Mesh Object Color was not live updating in the Viewport
- Fixed issue where the Modo Light Color was not translating to the Octane Toon light color

4.02.0.139 (30-Jan-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 4.02
- Fixed bug when moving a Point Light with no emitter geometry attached
- Fixed bug where changing a Constant item in the Shader tree was not live updating the Octane viewport
- Added "Linear Space Invert" to RGB Image, Alpha Image, Float Image, Instance Color and Baking Texture nodes
- Fixed issue where changes to nodes in the schematic such as the Gradient node were not live updating in the Viewport

4.01.1.138 (22-Nov-2018)
- Compiled with Octane 4.01.1
- Change Sky Turbidity maximum value to 15 to match Octane Standalone
- Added support for the Octane Planetary Environment
- Added Daylight and Planetary environments North Offset
- Added support for Octane 4 Light Linking (in the Light tab of the Kernel panel)
- Changes to the render status panel wording
- octane.createEmitter now copies the light pass id to the created emitter material
- Added support for RGB Image, Alpha Image and Float Image Import Import Type (to match the same function in Octane Standalone)
- Fixed issue where lights that are targetted or contrained to a Locator would not live update when the target is moved
- Disabled render passes are now no longer displayed in the Select Viewport Render Pass combobox
- Added the Value->Filename Value node. NOTE: This node is for OSL shaders only, and cannot be used as in image to RGB, Alpha and Float Image nodes
- Fixed issue where an OSL texture commected to the Environment RGB Color could not be edited after editing a material
- Fixed issue where adding an Octane Override whilst in Viewport Navigation mode zero'd the camera transform
- Added Volume Step Length to the Absorption and Scattering nodes
- Added Projection and Transform pins to the Baking Texture
- Added the Omega pin to the Ridged Fractal node
- Preliminary support for texturemap compression via the Image node Texture Import Type combobox. Click the "Reload Texture" after changing the type to reload and recompress the texture

4.00.0.137 (22-Nov-2018)
- Compiled with Octane 4.00. (To learn more about the new features and improvements of OctaneRender 4, please check out our blog post.)
- Fixed issue where the plugin was not releasing the Octane license on exit
- Fixed issue introduced in 4.00.0.135 where ORBX proxies assigned to Mesh items were not live updating
- Fixed Octane Log error resulting from octane.saveAnimation running with an animated Kernal->Max Samples
- Fixed Octane Log error when scrubbing the timeline with a Point Light with Toon Light enabled
- Shader Tree Roughness image High Value now translates to the Octane Image Power
- Fixed an issue where octane.saveAnimation was not writing the final frame of geometry changes
- Fixed a bug where in some situations Replicators with a Prototype containing multiple meshes would render incorrectly
- Added experimental support for Modo 12.2 schematic "elbows"

4.00.0.136 (07-Nov-2018)
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC7
- Fixed issue introduced in 4.00.0.135 where Mesh and Mesh Visibility changes were not live updating in the Octane viewport
- Changed the default and maximum values of the Kernel->Parallel Samples and Maximum Tile Samples
- Added Nishita daylight model
- Fixed issue where Render Priority always starting at High when starting a render

4.00.0.135 (17-Oct-2018)
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC6
- Added the option to save an animation to OCS/ORBX from the Export button on the toolbar (this was previously done via the octane.saveAnimation command)
- Added support for the OSL Projection
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added code to speed up transform changes on large meshes. This only applies to Mesh items with Live Geometry Update ON, and when the Render Cache if OFF.
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added support for OSL cameras
- Added support for the OSL UV Projection node
- Updated the Modo SDK from Modo901 to Modo10

4.00.0.134 (15-Sep-2018)
- First test release built with Octane 4
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC4
- Added Denoiser options in the Imager settings
- Added Denoised Beauty pass to the Select Viewport Render Pass selection combobox
- Added Kernel AI Light options
- Added RenderPasses Denoiser passes
- Added Cast Shadows support for Toon lights
- Added Use For Denoising to the CUDA options
- Added Keep Instance Power to the Black Body and Texture Emission nodes
- Light Pass Mask is not implemented in the Kernel or Object Layer nodes
- The Image Tiles (UDIM) node is not yet implemented
- Added Direct and Indirect render pass Lighting Passes
- Changed the way changes are passed to Octane so that if a render is paused but the render is complete, the pause state will be retained if you change the camera or any other part of the scene
- Changed the way Render Region works. It now persists if the render is restarted, a new scene is loaded, or other pickers are selected. Rightclick the Viewport to cancel the Render Region

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:53 am, edited 27 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 4 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby funk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:24 am

funk Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:24 am
Thanks Paul!
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TStudio » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am

TStudio Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am
Hi Paul.
I`m on modo 902 - SP3 - 108604 and there is a problem. I dont have octane layout anymore. Is this normal?
TStudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 pm

face_off Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 pm
TStudio wrote:Hi Paul.
I`m on modo 902 - SP3 - 108604 and there is a problem. I dont have octane layout anymore. Is this normal?

Sorry, Modo902 is no longer supported. You need Modo10 or later.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby teknofreek » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm

teknofreek Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm
(posted in another topic.)

I have released the Octane standalone license for the pending update to Octane 4 release and my account shows that the standalone license is deactivated, but the plugin is still showing active on my machine.
I was running a version of Octane 3.08.1 standalone and its plugin and Octane 4 RC7 and the associated plugin under Modo 12.2v1.
I have restarted the PC and relogged into my account and it still shows active.
I have uninstalled both plugins and the Octane 4 RC7 now, but my account still shows the plugin as active. Octane 3.08 is still installed, (no plugin) but the standalone version seems ok as it is available.

Do I have to use an unlock the plugin, or should I just upgrade to Octane v4. It is only due to the warning to deactivate prior to undating an existing v3 license that I post this.
Win 10 Pro 64bit, AMD 1950X 3.6 Ghz, Gigabyte AorusG7 X399 MB, 1x GTX 680 1x GTX 770 mainboard, 4x GTX660ti external, 32 GB onboard mem
Nvidia drivers 388.59
teknofreek
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:06 am

face_off Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:06 am
I have released the Octane standalone license for the pending update to Octane 4 release and my account shows that the standalone license is deactivated, but the plugin is still showing active on my machine.
I was running a version of Octane 3.08.1 standalone and its plugin and Octane 4 RC7 and the associated plugin under Modo 12.2v1.
I have restarted the PC and relogged into my account and it still shows active.
I have uninstalled both plugins and the Octane 4 RC7 now, but my account still shows the plugin as active. Octane 3.08 is still installed, (no plugin) but the standalone version seems ok as it is available.

Do I have to use an unlock the plugin, or should I just upgrade to Octane v4. It is only due to the warning to deactivate prior to undating an existing v3 license that I post this.
I don't know for sure, sorry. I suggest installing the V4 version of the plugin, start Modo, then close Modo, and see if it releases the license. Otherwise contact OTOY via the Support option at the top of this page, or use a "release" from your account page.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby teknofreek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:07 am

teknofreek Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:07 am
Yeah I tried re-installing the plugin Paul, it didn't work. Still showed active. I used an unlock to free it up.. I've still got a fair few so, shouldn't be a problem, hopefully.
If it happens again I'll contact support as there must be something inherent I'm doing wrong.
I've never had any issues before with activating and using licenses, plugin or standalone over all the time I've used Octane and I've had to re-install after computer and system crashes heaps of times.
I posted here and in the other post as it seemed that there was an issue with the Plugin prior to 4 that was reported as fixed for this issue.
Anyway thanks for the reply.
Win 10 Pro 64bit, AMD 1950X 3.6 Ghz, Gigabyte AorusG7 X399 MB, 1x GTX 680 1x GTX 770 mainboard, 4x GTX660ti external, 32 GB onboard mem
Nvidia drivers 388.59
teknofreek
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby teknofreek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:22 am

teknofreek Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:22 am
heh, maybe it would have worked.. just goes to show ya gotta read the info.. for my previous post I was on OctaneRender_for_Modo_4_00_0_136.
The latest ? is 137, maybe that has the fix...
Nvidia drivers 388.59
teknofreek
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jtmsf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:40 pm

jtmsf Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Upgraded to the latest Octane 4.

I Had to re-render a scene made previously with octane 3. With Octane 4 there's always the error

"CUDA error 700 on device ...: an illegal memory access was encountered"

on all my devices, and the render freezes (Modo is responsive, but I have to kill the render).

I'm not using any of the newer features present in Octane 4. Has with Octane 3 I am using my two local GPU plus two other "slave" GPU in my network

For what I'm reading in the forum, a lot of users with other plugins (C4D and Max) are having a similar problems.

Any Info would be helpful.

UPDATE: The same problem occurs without network render.

Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3
32GB RAM
Local GPUs 2x GTX1800TI
Slave GPUs 2x GTX780
Windows 10 64
OctaneRender 4.00 (4000021) (installed with "OctaneRender for Modo 4.00.0.137" link)
Nvidia driver 417.35
Modo 12.2v1
jtmsf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm
"CUDA error 700 on device ...: an illegal memory access was encountered"
Hi. This is a general Octane error, rather than a plugin specific problem, so can you please report it to OTOY in the Octane Standalone thread. The next build of the plugin (compiled with Octane 4.01.1) may also assist with this problem, and it should be available in the next few days.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo