Material Picker without losing Render Region?

Forums: Material Picker without losing Render Region?
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Material Picker without losing Render Region?

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm

face_off Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm
I know from experience that if I change the plugin to suit one user, I get 10 angry emails from other users who do not like the change :-)

If I change the material picking to the right mouse button, that will be inconsistent with all other picking functions and Octane Standalone. And I don't think the right mouse button is used for any other function in the Modo plugin. So I would prefer to implement a solution which is intuitive for users, and consistent with the rest of the plugin and Octane Standalone. I think the best solution in this case it for the plugin to match Octane Standalone, but I will need to do some reworking of the system which will need to wait until I have all the Octane 4 conversion work done.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 pm

MrFurious Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 pm
I know from experience that if I change the plugin to suit one user, I get 10 angry emails from other users who do not like the change

Material picker with render region does not work. I cannot imagine any modo users being angry because you got this to work.

However I see your point that my suggestion may not be the best way for everyone. May I suggest a sticky thread on how to best implement the Render Region. That would give you a clearer picture on where the majority of modo plugin users want to go with this.

I think the best solution in this case it for the plugin to match Octane Standalone...

As a modo user I have to firmly disagree. The best solution is the one which works best in Modo. If you can achieve both all the better.

You definitely have a love affair with standalone this is clear ;)
Can I ask which do you think is more important to Modo/Octane plugin users:

Consistency with standalone? or Best functionality and ease of use within Modo?

IMHO it's counterproductive to potentially cripple the functionality in Modo for the sake of making it as identical to standalone as possible.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Greg Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm
Paul - if you take a look at the way V-Ray does it, it's pretty good. Render region is active as long as the RR icon is toggled on. Click+drag lets you make a new render region...while just a click will select the material. If you want RR off you just toggle the icon off. So in Octane if RR icon is toggled on then click and drag will drag out a new render region. But click will just select a material, select white balance, select focal...whatever of these icons is toggled on.

Save right mouse clicking for a context-sensitive menu...something like V-Ray or MODO with some additional functionality. The above method is intuitive and should make everybody happy I think.

-G
CEO Sabertooth Productions
Co-Founder Pixel Fondue
Greg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MrFurious » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:27 pm

MrFurious Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:27 pm
Persistent Render Region, nice.

Similar to my persistent MP button suggestion but this would work better I think, as you could have the render region set and not only material pick but focus, wb etc.

Viewport Navigation could work the same way with access to MP, focus, wb without the VP Nav resetting
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 pm

funk Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 pm
Guys, standalone already has a good method for doing this. Let's not complicate it.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 pm

face_off Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 pm
Paul - if you take a look at the way V-Ray does it, it's pretty good. Render region is active as long as the RR icon is toggled on. Click+drag lets you make a new render region...while just a click will select the material. If you want RR off you just toggle the icon off. So in Octane if RR icon is toggled on then click and drag will drag out a new render region. But click will just select a material, select white balance, select focal...whatever of these icons is toggled on.

Save right mouse clicking for a context-sensitive menu...something like V-Ray or MODO with some additional functionality. The above method is intuitive and should make everybody happy I think.
Under this arrangement you wouldn't be able to have Viewport Navigation and Render Region on at the same time - since the plugin would not know if you are dragging the mouse to navigate or set the render region. So I think this solution would be a step down from the current implementation. DISCLAIMER: I am midday through some changes to the plugin, so cannot currently run it to test the above.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:18 am

MrFurious Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:18 am
Under the current implementation you aren't be able to have Viewport Navigation and Render Region on at the same time... render region always resets viewport navigation. So under this arrangement we'd have render region, material picker, white balance, focus pick etc working. I'd call that a step up.
Last edited by MrFurious on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MrFurious » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:48 am

MrFurious Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:48 am
I don't see the harm in using modifier keys. currently viewport navigation uses them so..
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MrFurious » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 am

MrFurious Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 am
Funk- standalone works ok, a couple annoyances though:

Once the RR is selected, if you material pick WB pick or focus pick, the region border vanishes and if your not careful you can forget it's active. The second is more of an annoyance with standalone in general weather RR is on or not, when your picking (material, focus, wb) if you click and hold just a fraction of a second too long it moves the camera.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Greg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 am

Greg Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 am
Well, camera nav. is 'alt-click-drag'...so I'm not sure that would override just click and drag....right?
CEO Sabertooth Productions
Co-Founder Pixel Fondue
Greg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo