Sharing is Caring

Forums: Sharing is Caring
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Sharing is Caring

Postby MrFurious » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 am

MrFurious Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 am
Hi Paul. I have opportunities to work with people using 3ds max and c4d who have versions of the octane plugin. The only way this could really happen is if they were able to save as an OCS or ORBX and I could import this in modo just as I could in octane standalone. I think this is a less talked about feature that could potentially send octane to the next level i.e. the ability to share assets and scenes between 3d editors who use octane.

We've looked at using the orbx proxy workflow, but without any cues in opengl (scene is completely empty) and editing of all nodes done via the standalone node graph.. it's more or less pointless. We'd may as well be working the scene in standalone.

When do you think this might be possible for Modo?

Thanks,
Dino.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Sharing is Caring

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 am

face_off Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 am
I think this would be pretty hard to implement Dino. Loading an ORBX into Modo so that it appears as a Modo scene (ie. Modo geometry, etc) would be incredibly hard - and not something I think any renderer developers has been able to do.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Sharing is Caring

Postby funk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 am

funk Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 am
face_off wrote:and not something I think any renderer developers has been able to do.

V-ray does this actually . You can export to "vrscene" format from another app, then import it back into v-ray for modo. The modo "import" isn't always perfect, but you get all the geometry and most of the materials from other apps.

Their cloud service works using .vrscene files
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo