Octane Environment fog control.

Forums: Octane Environment fog control.
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane Environment fog control.

Postby Greggers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Greggers Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:16 pm
Hi,

Is there any chance Modo users could get the same controls and options that the Cinema4d users have as regards the fog falloff and control? I can kind of create the effect after really messing around but I still don't get the falloff I would like - as the distance increases, so does the thickness. It would be nice to have a control like the depth pass option in the render passes but you see it happening in the rendered viewport beauty pass.

I am aware of the forum users asking for better fog or how to manage it in the modo plugin but the cinema4d version has better options and results when using both methods they have.

If I want to create atmospheric fog in modo with octane plugin I can either have an environment medium and play with the settings but the medium radius still leaves the scene milky and the foreground of any scene still has scattering which is not desired as you want the closest objects to have none or a tiny tiny amount.
If I use the box method and assigning a spec material and scattering medium etc I don't have control over the medium radius to I can't get the falloff I desire.

Having the controls that cinema4d users have over the fog controls would really be beneficial. Please could you look into it :-)
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Environment fog control.

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm

face_off Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm
I am not aware of the C4D plugin fog controls. If you can provide specific details of what you are looking for, I can investigate further.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Greggers » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 am

Greggers Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 am
Hi Paul, Thanks for replying as always :-)

In Cinema4d the density has a fall off as you slide left to right. The depth is very obvious. Where as in modo you don't get as much falloff and foreground objects have too much fog covering them.
I know in modo we have the Schlick for the direction of the fog control but it gives everything a sort of blur. Setting the slick at .9 can get you a directional falloff but it does blur. The cinema4d guys don't touch it and they control the fog with 'density' and 'thickness'. This 'thickness' slider as well as the 'density' is something we could do with as both seem to aid in the amount of fog and its falloff.

V-ray has an atmospheric fog which is the effect I'm talking about. The further away from the camera, the more atmosphere obscures the objects in the distance resulting in an illusion of depth. The objects closer to the camera retain there values and you can be precise at to when the scattering begins. In post I can use a depth pass in photoshop to create this effect with a levels adjustment but just like the cinema4d guys, it would be a blessing to have it in the render viewport. Like we can control the fog depth live, just like the depth pass, but with the fog.

I found the 'box' method covering your scene and a medium added to the spec material it has applied etc works best but still not great. When adding the scattering to the environment medium you get even less desired results as the falloff seems to have less control even when using the medium radius.

It seems its having the addition of 'thickness' control and the 'density' aiding you in a falloff is the way to go.

I hope this helps. Here are some links. If you have time to watch them you will see more precisely what I'm talking about. Worth a watch.

https://vimeo.com/255300572

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWi8M4DeCBc

Best one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Z2xhIKh-M
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 pm

funk Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 pm
Greggers those are some long videos :) Maybe you can point to an exact time stamp?

I started going through one of them using the c4d demo and as far as environment fog is concerned, we don't seem to be missing anything in modo.

C4d thickness = Environment Medium radius (standalone also calls it Medium Radius too)

For all other controls (including density), you have to create a new schematic, drag the medium channel into it and plug a medium scattering node into this channel
https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginM ... Medium.htm
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Greggers » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am

Greggers Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am
You know what, I take it back. Sorry if I wasted anyones time.

I downloaded the demo for c4d and I was able to understand the modo plugin more regards fog. I think due to the sliders cinema has to adjust values, makes it more precicely controllable while you adjust the depth using the depth and/or thickness etc while live rendering. You see it update realtime at greater speed, where as in modo, you have to use he channel haul and drawing every so lightly to just get it right but the updates art happening in realtime as fast . The demo has also changed 'thickness' to 'medium radius.

Anyway ... Thank you :-)
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo