Transparency maps and volume fog

Forums: Transparency maps and volume fog
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Transparency maps and volume fog

Postby stijnwindig » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm

stijnwindig Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm
Hi Everyone,
I'm a new user, I've been using the Modo plugin for a couple of weeks now, and I've run into some things that I can's seem to find a solution for in the manual or on the web.. I hope you guys are willing to help the n00b for a bit. :)

I've been struggling to get decent outdoor volumetric fog for a while, and pretty much given up. When I link the medium with the environment, I can get some kind of murk, but basic fog that grows thicker as it gets closer to the horizon eludes me.

A more pressing matter for the moment is getting transparency maps to behave properly. I'm sure there's a way to get this to work, but anything I try leads to the same result. It's easy to see in the leaves of the trees in the image. Transparency works, but everything behind the transparent part behaves weirdly. I've tried 'real'transparency in modo, as wel as stencils and using rgba with the special effects tab. Also tried setting it up directly in the octane plugin, with the same result. I must be missing something obvious right?

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lizae9mplzxzo1/Step_03_05.jpg?dl=0

stijnwindig

Re: Transparency maps and volume fog

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm

face_off Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm
Hi

For outdoor fog, try a large Medium Radius.

The transmap issue looks like the surface with the transmap is perpendicular to the camera, in which case I don't think they would work (in any render engine). Feel free to send me the scene if you want me to take a closer look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo