Override Proxy Material

Forums: Override Proxy Material
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Override Proxy Material

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm
Hey there,

is it possible to use only the geometry of a Proxy item and change the Materials in the Shadertree?

I have multiple high-res meshes which must be rendered with several different materials. So I thought i use proxy items and define the Mesh in the Scene.

Thank you in advance

Edit: One solution to this is to use the Modo Proxysystem. But you have to enable Use Rendercache which in my experience in very unstable. Is there a way to use this workflow with the OctaneProxy item?
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Override Proxy Material

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 am

face_off Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 am
Hi

Mesh Proxies are treated as Octane Scatter transforms - and therefor all proxies of a given mesh will render with the same Octane material. However with release 3.07.0.125 you have:
- Added an instance id to each Scatter transform (ie. each Replicator particle source will have a unqiue instance id). The Instance ID is sourced from the Modo Replicator source IDs. The new Texture node types Instance Range and Instance Color can be used with these id's.

which should allow you to tweak the colors, etc for each proxy instance.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm
Hi Paul,

i'm afraid this doesn't work for me. But thank you for the idea.

I thought the ModoProxy with RenderCache Solution would work for me, but i can't get the rounded edge option working. I think the Problem is that i can't use "weld vertices" on a modo Proxy item.

Do you know a solution the use rounded edges on a ModoProxy?

Thank's in advance!
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 pm

face_off Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 pm
I thought the ModoProxy with RenderCache Solution would work for me, but i can't get the rounded edge option working. I think the Problem is that i can't use "weld vertices" on a modo Proxy item.

Do you know a solution the use rounded edges on a ModoProxy?
Yes, I doubt the current Octane round edges solution will work with the Modo render cache supplied geometry. However Octane have stated they are still working on round edges, so perhaps in the future this will be possible.

i'm afraid this doesn't work for me. But thank you for the idea.
Set the Particle Id of each instance to a whole number (ie. 1, 2, 3, etc). Then add an Octane Instance Range to the Octane Override and plug it into the Input of a Gradient, and set the Octane Instance Range Maximum ID to the largest number to entered as a Particle Id.
instance range sample.png

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo