Can't Edit material when importing to a new scene - MaskXXXX

Forums: Can't Edit material when importing to a new scene - MaskXXXX
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Can't Edit material when importing to a new scene - MaskXXXX

Postby paul_mccrorey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm

paul_mccrorey Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm
So when I import a material built in one scene into another, I am unable to edit or even see the node.

In this case, I used a material preset I had on hand and placed it on a sphere. I simply 'dragged' the sphere into a new scene. The resulting material node changed from "Nylon Weave" to "Mask024". Further, when I click on "Mask024" I don't see it show up in the node editor. I can't seem to find this node tree anywhere and it becomes a dead material.

Any ideas?

I am thinking it's a bug..

I have a much more complicated file that has 20 or so materials that I'd rather not have to re-edit/re-build if possible.

Help!
Attachments
ScreenHunter 362.jpg
ScreenHunter 363.jpg
destination file with "mask024"
paul_mccrorey
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can't Edit material when importing to a new scene - MaskXXXX

Postby funk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 am

funk Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 am
Dragging an item into another scene has never carried over schematic groups. This just seems to be a modo limitation (eg. it happens with modo nodal materials too).

If you drag the override into a workspace, you can see the YELLOW circles on connection. If you double click these, the rest of the nodes appear in the schematic

I'm not sure if this is something the plugin could correct automatically. Paul will have to look into it

EDIT: The safest way to deal with this is to save all your materials as presets. You can also save an item/mesh as a preset and it will save the overrides correctly. See steps to save a mesh preset at the bottom here: https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginM ... do/FAQ.htm
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 am

face_off Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 am
Thanks for the response Funk.

A workaround for this issue is to use the following workflow:

1) Drag the mesh item into the new scene
2) Select and drag the incorrectly named Octane Override mask into a different group and then back again (this fixes the naming issue)
3) Click the Edit In Schematic button in the Octane Override properties to create the group and assembly nodes

It may be possible to automate some of this. I will look into it for the next release.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby paul_mccrorey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm

paul_mccrorey Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm
Guys - Thanks for the info.

That worked. Changing the name from "MaskXXXX" by moving it out and back into the material mask and then clicking the "Edit in Schematic" button in the octane override tab allowed me to edit.

Thanks for the help!
paul_mccrorey
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo