Octane override empty/corrupted ?

Forums: Octane override empty/corrupted ?
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane override empty/corrupted ?

Postby portnicki » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

portnicki Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm
Hey,

so I've just opened up an older file (like from 1 year ago).
And I'm missing all of my Octane overrides. I mean they are there in the material group but the moment I open them up in the schematic I get this:

error.jpg

Any ideas?
I'm a bit worried 'cause these materials were tweaked A LOT and now I'm missing all of it :cry:
i7 2600k + nVidia TITAN black
https://www.behance.net/Auror
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane override empty/corrupted ?

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 pm

face_off Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 pm
Hi - do you know what version of the plugin was used to originally save the scene? Are you able to send me one of these scenes pls and I will take a look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BobJantenCate » Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am

BobJantenCate Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am
Hi,

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? I'm having the same problem.

In one of the overrides I had some noise added, which worked before in previous renders, but suddenly when rendering
the same shot ones more that noise wasn't produced anymore. So I checked in with the Octane override in Modo.

I opened the Modo scene which included the Octane overrides, tried to access them and 'bam', the overrides aren't accessible anymore.
I get the same 'error' as in the image portnicki posted above. Also the names of the overrides were changed to maskxxx
(xxx stands for seemingly random numbers, also the same thing is to be seen in the image portnicki posted).

Then it seemed to have been fixed by simply changing the names from 'maskxxx' to something new. This worked for the Octane plugin in Modo,
but when saving it as an .OCS to be rendered in the Octane Standalone, I saw the noise had disappeared again. Strange.

Is use the OctaneRender plugin for Modo v. 3.08.0.127
And the Octane Standalone v. 3.07

So, any ideas about this?

- Bob
BobJantenCate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

face_off Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Hi Bob. What version of Modo and the plugin was used to originally save that .lxo?

So far I have no received any of the info requested above to be able to progress the issue.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BobJantenCate » Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm

BobJantenCate Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm
Hi Paul,

Too bad.

The OctaneRender plugin for Modo v. 3.08.0.127 is the one used (the .lxo save was from last week).
The version of Modo is 10.2.

- Bob
BobJantenCate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 am

face_off Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 am
If an lxo is missing nodes in a schematic, then this appears to be a Modo issue. Perhaps you saved the .lxo on a system which did not have the plugin installed?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BobJantenCate » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 am

BobJantenCate Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 am
Hmm, that I did not, it was the same system.

Situation 1)
There is another specific situation in which the error is occurring. When I import a model, of which the material includes an Octane Override,
from one scene to another in Modo. I'll elaborate:

I import the model from scene_01 into scene_02. In scene_02 Modo automatically creates a group called 'imported shaders' in the shader tree
(which it logically always does). Now when I go into the group and find the Octane Override material the name is changed into maskxxx.
When selecting this Octane Override I get the error:

"No workspace could be found for this Octane Override. Click 'Edit in Schematic' to create a workspace."

Then clicking on 'Edit in Schematic' in the Octane Override gives a 'Failed' pop-up. Also when having pressed 'Edit in Schematic' it
creates an empty assembly group/workspace called maskxxx in the Groups overview underneath the Groups tab.

But, changing the name 'maskxxx' into something new (like for instance 'plastic'), suddenly the Octane Override schematic opens up and is editable again.
Also it also creates a new assembly group/workspace by that name 'plastic' in the Groups overview which now has the items included that are in
the Octane Override schematic.

Now when I export this to an .OCS to see if the shader still picks up of all of its attributes in the Octane Standalone it seems to work just fine.

So essentially renaming the Octane Overrides solves the problem that, when one is importing a model which has an Octane Overrides into another scene,
makes the Octane Override not editable anymore.

Situation 2)
BUT that stil doesn't explain the initial problem:

- How come, when saving a scene, that has Octane Overrides, on one day, it has somehow renamed those overrides in maskxxx when opening up that same scene a couple of days later (on the same computer),
resulting in making the overrides not editable anymore, unless one renames them.

Now I don't know if the previous problem from my first post still stands. That after having renamed, and changed the Octane Overrides, those changes weren't picked up
by the Octane Standalone. I haven't been able replicate that specific problem of situation 2 yet.

- Bob
BobJantenCate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

face_off Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm
Hi Bob

The renaming of the Octane Overrides occurs when you Import an .lxo, rather than Load it. This is controlled by Modo - so there is not a lot the plugin can do about it. When you Import, you need to click "Edit in Schematic" so the plugin then renames the node (as you have worked out).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo