Spotlight Assembly

Forums: Spotlight Assembly
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Spotlight Assembly

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

face_off Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hey Paul, yes thats true for the spotlight part. But there is this new Quad Light Node, which is faster than Emissive Geometry. You implemented this option also to the area light. If i hit "create octane emitter" it will create emissive geometry instead of a quad light. So it's only possible to use the Spotlight code with emissive geometry and not with the quad light. Or am i wrong?

You might not see the importance of a spotlight or directional light. But it's a very basic lighting technique in photography (and also a lot of other renderes) and therefore should (in my opinion) be available in octane for modo.
"Or am i wrong?" that is a very good question - I am not sure. My best guess is that the OSL would work with a geometry emitter as well as the area light node. I suggest trying this in Octane Standalone. As an aside, I have requested that OTOY name the emission pin the same for the Quad Light as the Spotlight so that you can tweak the emission node on the area light as you can on the spot light in the latest version of the plugin - which would allow you to add that OSL code on the Area Light node in the plugin. I suggest you also request this from OTOY in order to elevate it's position in the FR list :-)

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 am

Hesekiel2517 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 am
Hey Paul, yes you can use the osl script with the quad light. And i guess it will render faster than emissive geometry. That's why i want to have it :)
Thank you for your help. I will request this aswell.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 am

face_off Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 am
Thank you for your help. I will request this aswell.
Sorry - I gave you the wrong info above - it is actually the Emission MATERIAL pins that are differently named. The Volumetric Spotlight pin is called "emittermaterial", whereas the other two lights have the pin named "material1". All Octane lights need to have the same pin name for the emission so that that pin can be added to the schematic node and you can then build your own emission materials.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 am

Hesekiel2517 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 am
thank you for clarifying this.

As a workaround you can set the spotlight up as a proxy. The only downside is that you have to have one orbx. per spotlight (if they have different settings). But you can nicely edit them by using the edit proxy button. Also it's not displayed as a light in the viewport.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo