Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Forums: Saving passes takes longer than render time...
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Postby hgarrou » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm

hgarrou Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Thanks so much for your help.

Unticking Live Geometry and Reload mesh did not speed that delay, HOWEVER, Deleting half, and then three quarters of the faces in the scene did reduce the delay respectively. So it is related to the poly count. All are triangles.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hgarrou » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm

hgarrou Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Also. The behavior, more specifically, is:

1. the progress bar progresses to about 95% of the intended samples and pauses.
2. Meanwhile the output image is written entirely without error. You can use it immediately even while Octane's progress is pending.

It seems to be behaving like it's preloading for the next frame.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm

face_off Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm
Did you try unticking "Reload Mesh Each Frame" on all meshes?

Are you able to send me the scene please, so I can see if there is something else causing the issue.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kostache » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 pm

kostache Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 pm
I've the same problem - very long changing time between frames during animation - I've to keep an update of geometry between frames to avoid texture's problems and I should update my textures every frame because I have one animated. But, in fact, even with both of them unticked it's taking significant time - I have 2.5 minutes render time and 4 minutes time for frames changing and saving - with only two additional passes on - AO and Depth.
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 pm

face_off Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 pm
kostache wrote:I've the same problem - very long changing time between frames during animation - I've to keep an update of geometry between frames to avoid texture's problems and I should update my textures every frame because I have one animated. But, in fact, even with both of them unticked it's taking significant time - I have 2.5 minutes render time and 4 minutes time for frames changing and saving - with only two additional passes on - AO and Depth.
As request above, if you send me a scene which demonstrates this issue, I can investigate further.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 am

face_off Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 am
kostache wrote:I've the same problem - very long changing time between frames during animation - I've to keep an update of geometry between frames to avoid texture's problems and I should update my textures every frame because I have one animated. But, in fact, even with both of them unticked it's taking significant time - I have 2.5 minutes render time and 4 minutes time for frames changing and saving - with only two additional passes on - AO and Depth.
Thanks for sending me the scene. My initial observation is that the plugin is reporting the rendering is complete (ie. samples = max samples) when in fact Octane is still rendering the Info passes - and on your scene the Info passes render very slowly for me. I have fixed this in the next release so the status window clearly shows that Octane is still rendering the Info passes so you more easily know when saving/updating has started.

Despite the above, refreshing geometry between frames is still slow on that scene. I will report back once I have more info on how to get around this.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kostache » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm

kostache Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm
face_off wrote:
Thanks for sending me the scene. My initial observation is that the plugin is reporting the rendering is complete (ie. samples = max samples) when in fact Octane is still rendering the Info passes - and on your scene the Info passes render very slowly for me. I have fixed this in the next release so the status window clearly shows that Octane is still rendering the Info passes so you more easily know when saving/updating has started.

Despite the above, refreshing geometry between frames is still slow on that scene. I will report back once I have more info on how to get around this.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks a lot - Paul - I'll keep waiting.
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 am

face_off Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 am
I have found the slow geometry refresh time is due to the Mesh items with Load Cage enabled (VT4_Machinecase (VT4), VT4_Techtower (VT4), etc). Is there a reason you are using Load Cage? It is potentially much slow to load than using the normal method.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kostache » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm

kostache Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm
face_off wrote:
I have found the slow geometry refresh time is due to the Mesh items with Load Cage enabled (VT4_Machinecase (VT4), VT4_Techtower (VT4), etc). Is there a reason you are using Load Cage? It is potentially much slow to load than using the normal method.

Paul

Thank you very much for your investigation.
The "Load cage" is necessary because of some animated objects with shifted pivot points or sometimes even for simply animated objects - otherwise they're jumping to wrong place during animation's rendering. But I try to turn off the "load cage" for all static objects at first and try again. B.t.w. I tried to reduce AO samples to 256 to receive a nearly similar to beauty pass rendering time, but there I've got a strange issue with rendered frames saving - seems like Octane trying to save frame files too late - when the next frame's render is already started and we're getting very noisy picture of these just started to render frames instead completed ones. I'll send you a new scene file and some wrongly rendered examples soon. Please, just put this lxo file into the "Scenes" folder from my previous archive. After my trials the fastest way to animate my scene is very strange - to render a frame, save it manually, press the "Stop" button for Octane render, change a frame and start the render again! Also, the next thing is very strange to me - why we're able to change everything in the scene during the animation rendering? It's ok if we'll be able to turn some of the graphic cards off or add some new, or change a priority, but to make possible, for instance, change a material or change a kernel presets...
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 am

face_off Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 am
The "Load cage" is necessary because of some animated objects with shifted pivot points or sometimes even for simply animated objects - otherwise they're jumping to wrong place during animation's rendering.
From my testing, loading a Mesh item with "Load Cage" enabled is hugely slower that without it enabled. For example, a Mesh that takes 2 secs to load normally seems to take about 1 minute with "Load Cage" enabled, so if you can get your scene rendering with "Load Cage", that should help your performance issues. I couldn't reproduce any animating issues with Load Cage off. Are you able to send me a scene containing just a mesh object with "jumps" to the wrong place during the animation please>

B.t.w. I tried to reduce AO samples to 256 to receive a nearly similar to beauty pass rendering time, but there I've got a strange issue with rendered frames saving - seems like Octane trying to save frame files too late - when the next frame's render is already started and we're getting very noisy picture of these just started to render frames instead completed ones.
Which version of the plugin are you using please?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo