Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Forums: Saving passes takes longer than render time...
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Postby LFedit » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

LFedit Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm
Is there any way around this? It takes my frame 20 seconds to render, but then it takes 40 seconds for the computer to save the frame with the passes? Any way to speed this up?

I am using network rendering if that matters... Everything is on 10 gb/s too...

Thanks
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Postby face_off » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 am

face_off Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 am
Hi - this is the behavior of the Octane API - so I suggest putting this question to the Otoy devs in the Octane 3.07 release thread.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 pm

LFedit Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 pm
Sounds good. I will try that. Thanks!
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm

mojave Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm
Could you let us know what format are you saving into, what passes and the type of drive you are writing them into? This would only make sense if your drive is not local for instance. Otherwise we may need to investigate further.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby LFedit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm

LFedit Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm
We were saving 16 bit uncompressed layered exrs. And the render layers we were using were, Diffuse, Reflection, Position, AO, and Z depth. I was writing to our server.

But I tried it local and tried it without layers and it all did the same thing... even tried just as a png.

I had motion blur enabled, maybe that was the problem. I haven't had time to run allll of the tests but ran them few to try and speed it up. But yeah it took 20 seconds to render and easy 40-60 seconds just to save. The files were rather large, like 300 mb, but nothing crazy huge..

Hope that helps at all..

Thanks
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 pm

mojave Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 pm
There should be no reason why Octane would take so long to save such file size on a local drive.

Did you get the chance to try saving the same output on a different machine?
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby hgarrou » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:10 pm

hgarrou Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:10 pm
We;re having this same problem from MODO and octane. Trying to use octane for the Olympics right now. Render is done in 5 seconds but there is a 20 sec pause at time of saving.

I can say the geometry is scanned from various drones and stitched at capture time by bleeding edge IBM software and provided by them. So it's a massive 800 mb model with matching textures as 16K jpgs.
Responds super fast in the preview, only slows when batch rendering the sequence. at 3600 frames, we are estimating 25 hours to render the sequence. This won't do as they will no doubt revise up to the last possible minute. This is why we're trying to use our favorite renderer Octane.

Has to be Modo, Maya won't import the 800mb obj.

Has to be a fast render since they're rescanning right before events begin, and we'll have to output quickly.

Any help is appreciated.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 pm

face_off Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 pm
We;re having this same problem from MODO and octane. Trying to use octane for the Olympics right now. Render is done in 5 seconds but there is a 20 sec pause at time of saving.

I can say the geometry is scanned from various drones and stitched at capture time by bleeding edge IBM software and provided by them. So it's a massive 800 mb model with matching textures as 16K jpgs.
Responds super fast in the preview, only slows when batch rendering the sequence. at 3600 frames, we are estimating 25 hours to render the sequence. This won't do as they will no doubt revise up to the last possible minute. This is why we're trying to use our favorite renderer Octane.
If this happening on a single render, or when rendering an animation? If when rendering an animation, it might be the moving to the next frame and reloading the scene to Octane that is causing the delay (and there are some controls to assist with this). If it happens when rendering a single frame, then is there also a pause when saving from the same scene in Octane Standalone?

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby hgarrou » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:34 am

hgarrou Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:34 am
Is only happening when rendering a sequence of images. The preview panelist self has no delays. We tried it on two different workstations with the same result. We also share your theory of our massive geometry slowly loading with each train progression. I think we'll test it tomorrow in the morning by deleting three-quarters of the geometry. Animation self is merely a camera flyover of the geometry so nothing needs to be animated with regards 2 octane, save for the camera. We switched off the force load animation on the geometry. Is there a way to switch that off globally. And thanks for all your help.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:29 pm

face_off Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Is only happening when rendering a sequence of images. The preview panelist self has no delays. We tried it on two different workstations with the same result. We also share your theory of our massive geometry slowly loading with each train progression. I think we'll test it tomorrow in the morning by deleting three-quarters of the geometry. Animation self is merely a camera flyover of the geometry so nothing needs to be animated with regards 2 octane, save for the camera. We switched off the force load animation on the geometry. Is there a way to switch that off globally. And thanks for all your help.
In that case, select all Mesh items and set Live Geometry Update OFF. Or can could probably also just UNTICK "Reload Mesh Each Frame" (try both solutions, and see which works best for you).

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo