Slow Animated Scene Loading

Forums: Slow Animated Scene Loading
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Slow Animated Scene Loading

Postby blockmind » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:43 pm

blockmind Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:43 pm
Hi,

I've searched through the forums but all answers I found were about older versions of either octane or modo plugin.

I have a scene with camera and mesh pivot animation. It has 1.8 million polygons with seperate meshes and 6 times instances of them. I tweaked frame render time by 6 secs but scene loading takes at least 20 to 40 seconds on each frame.

Problem is: when default live mesh update is checked, I slide the current frame on modo timeline, octane render window renders scene correctly without refreshing anything. But when clicking to animation rendering "refreshing octane geometry" loading screen appears and loads the scene again and again very slowly.

I'm using ver 3.6.1.120 version on my modo 11.1. Octane ver is 3.06.04.
"Load all frames into octane" option which is suggested on earlier posts is not available on my modo plugin version. I couldn't try it.
Using octane.saveanimation command with ocs saving gets slowly after each frame and nearly stucks after about 300th frame. Also I cancelled and try to render the every 200 frame on standalone but materials are not true by wrong alembic conversion I think.

Is there an option that I am missing? is there (or can octane team add) an option or a script that let us render an animation by only live geometry update without refreshing scene each frame like we change the frame on modo timeline manually? This would save huge time on camera and mesh pivot animations. Sadly modo cpu render engine beats octane on this animated scene.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by blockmind on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Slow Animated Scene Loading Time

Postby LFedit » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 pm

LFedit Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 pm
This sounds very similar to my problem I had. Check this out and see if it helps.

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=56589&start=30

Good luck
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby blockmind » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

blockmind Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm
Thanks so much LFedit,

It was really helpful for me. I also realized that you too worked with CAD data on that problem. I get that our problems were really same. Even fast loading on 1st scene, and slower loading on the rest. Getting stuck on octane.saveanimation command etc.

Checking both "camera motion blur" and then "object motion blur" options dropped my frame loading time from 20 secs to 8 secs (ıt still shows refreshing octane geometry loading screen).

I've checked my meshes that they have "live geometry update" ticked and "reload mesh each frame" unticked.

...sad case to encounter in middle of a low budget commercial project :? Rendering simple textureless flat CAD data camera animation is taking forever with GPU technology.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:37 pm

face_off Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:37 pm
Pls send me a scene which exhibits this issue, and I will investigate.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby blockmind » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:32 pm

blockmind Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Thanks Paul,

I've PMd you the scene. By checking camera and object motion blur settings scene loading times are better. Also I think it renders without refreshing geometry after 1000-1800th frames which is the scenerio we want here.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 am

face_off Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 am
Hi - thanks for providing your scene.

I can reproduce the 6-8 sec reload between frames. The plugin is searching for any changed geometry during that refresh (since if geometry /had/ changed, you would want it reflected in the viewport). Some options....

1) Turn ON the Preferences->OctaneRender->Use Modo Render Cache - since when this is on, the Render Cache tells Octane when geometry has changed. But pls refer to the plugin manual for limitations when using the Render Cache. In this instance it solved the problem.

2) I could add a checkbox in the Kernel->Animation settings "Camera Animation" which stops all geometry updates.

3) You could export the scene (via octane.saveAnimation) to ORBX and render the animation in Octane Standalone.

I hope that helps.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby blockmind » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:12 am

blockmind Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:12 am
Thanks Paul,

1) I've tried this but most of the instanced objects are not shown on the render. I don't know why, Maybe this happens only on instances which parented by locators.

2) I think this will help me a lot with scenes like this.

3) In my case this command get stuck after progressing ~200 frames. It gets slower after each frame. However I saved 0 - 100 of my scene but when I open the saved octane file some of the objects' materials were in different. Also if you control your camera by targeting it to a locator, this command doesn't save your camera movements correctly.

If you add an option to make octane render animations like we are just sliding the animation timeline in modo by manually, It would be perfect.

All the best,
Cem
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm

face_off Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm
1) I've tried this but most of the instanced objects are not shown on the render. I don't know why, Maybe this happens only on instances which parented by locators.
Would you be able to send me a scene which just contains the elements which demonstrate this problem pls? Then I can investigate the cause.

If you add an option to make octane render animations like we are just sliding the animation timeline in modo by manually, It would be perfect.
This is option 2 - and I will add it to the next release.

In my case this command get stuck after progressing ~200 frames.
Are you saving to OCS or ORBX? If it's a high poly scene - then the resulting ABC file will be very large - so use OCS in this case where the ABC file will be directly saved to disk rather than compressed into the ORBX.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby blockmind » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm

blockmind Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Would you be able to send me a scene which just contains the elements which demonstrate this problem pls? Then I can investigate the cause.

The scene I've sent you with PM reproduces that problem.

Are you saving to OCS or ORBX? If it's a high poly scene - then the resulting ABC file will be very large - so use OCS in this case where the ABC file will be directly saved to disk rather than compressed into the ORBX.

I saved as OCS file. You can the command on the same scene I've sent you. It gets nearly stopped after 200-300 frames.

Thanks. Please let me know if the problem is just for me or general.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am

face_off Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am
I saved as OCS file. You can the command on the same scene I've sent you. It gets nearly stopped after 200-300 frames.
Hi - that scene is slow to export (from frame 1) due to the number of polygons in the scene (and I did not have the patience to get to frame 200, sorry). If there is nothing in the scene that is changing other than the camera, you can tick Camera and Object motion blur, then open the Viewport and then click the Save to OCS button and save the scene (which will include the transforms for the camera path). Then open in Octane Standalone and it will render without refreshing (sorry for not suggesting this earlier). I have also added a "Do not update meshes when animating" checkbox in the next release of the plugin.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo