Slow Animated Scene Loading

Forums: Slow Animated Scene Loading
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Slow Animated Scene Loading Time

Postby blockmind » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 am

blockmind Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 am
Hi Paul,

Great news, and thanks a bunch. I will be waiting for the update.

BTW Sorry, I don't have any similar scene with lower polygons but I'm sure there will be in future.

Prior scene has just 1.700.000 polygons. Is this too much for octane? I've been able to render this scene with octane without getting out of core on my nvidia gtx 1070 which has more than 40.000.000 polygons (it is not rendered as an animation though).

But what I'm trying to say is the 1.7b scene is exported directly from solidworks 40billion one is mostly modeled in Modo. So, 1.7B one may have some overnumbered polygon tags, long names, selection sets, bad triangles or something to confuse the octane's modo plugin to load scenes. I'm impiying because maybe you can find it somehow otherwise if I have a same problem with lighter scene, I'll share again by this topic.

Best,
Cem
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

face_off Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm
Prior scene has just 1.700.000 polygons. Is this too much for octane? I've been able to render this scene with octane without getting out of core on my nvidia gtx 1070 which has more than 40.000.000 polygons (it is not rendered as an animation though).
I think your 40 million polygon scene would be very slow to export too - using the octane.saveAnimation command, since the vertex position of every vertex needs to be written to the ABC file for every frame.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby blockmind » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:40 pm

blockmind Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:40 pm
Oh, right! now I get it, thanks.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LFedit » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 am

LFedit Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 am
Could you try duplicating this scene, then deleting all the instanced geo, make sure to have camera motion blur and object motion blur ticked too. Then run a quick test render and see if it refreshes the geo in between frames?

I think this is the issue, you can reread the 3 -4 posts at the bottom of my thread again where I ran tests for this to try and narrow it down and I think instances are to blame.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=56589&start=30
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby blockmind » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 am

blockmind Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 am
Wow, you're right. I've converted all instances to meshes and latency between frames dropped to 0 when rendering animation.

Really great tip LFedit. Thank you!

By the way, mesh display animation (setting a mesh visibility on or off) is not recognized by octane on this method. You need to split your animation where a mesh is hidden and shown on...
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LFedit » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:35 pm

LFedit Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:35 pm
Glad I could help. This will save me sooo much time too.

blockmind wrote:By the way, mesh display animation (setting a mesh visibility on or off) is not recognized by octane on this method. You need to split your animation where a mesh is hidden and shown on...

Not sure what you mean by this? I have meshes visible and invisible in my renders and it seems to be working.

Do you mean it just isn't allowing you to use the option? Did you turn "Live Geometry Update" back on? If you changed the instances to meshes, this can actually stay ticked and you can have those options back.

Good luck
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby blockmind » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44 pm

blockmind Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44 pm
I mean if you give a key to a mesh's visibility channel it doesnt read the change.

For example a mesh is invisible up to 30th frame and you start a render from 0 to 40. First it doesnt show the mesh but when rendering 31st frame mesh should be visible but it still isn't. If you refresh octane renderer at that frame, this time mesh is visible.

This example also occur viseversa.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby blockmind » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 am

blockmind Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 am
I also realized that if you enable camera and object motion blur settings, environment power animation keys are not read by octane.

When you hit render animation, enviroment power stucks at the initial state and doesn't change between frames (well, actually value of the property changes but render scene does not).

@Paul

Could you possibly correct the problems below on next release?
1. Adding camera animation setting,
2. Correcting unreaded keys of mesh visibility and environment power valus when rendering with camera motion blur and object motion blur settings are ticked (which we do for getting rid of slow frame loadings).

Regards,
Cem
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Slow Animated Scene Loading

Postby LFedit » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 pm

LFedit Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 pm
I haven't been able to have time to test some of that on my end for you. I currently am getting screwed on save times for some reason. Have you experienced this at all? Our frames take 20 seconds to render then 40 seconds to save and go to the next frame. Its mostly with network rendering. So frustrating.
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Slow Animated Scene Loading

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am

face_off Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am
1. Adding camera animation setting,
This looks to be a bug which I will try to fix in the next release.
2. Correcting unreaded keys of mesh visibility and environment power valus when rendering with camera motion blur and object motion blur settings are ticked (which we do for getting rid of slow frame loadings).
Mesh visibility cannot be animated - because this will change the number of vertices in the scene, breaking Octane vertex motion blur (when exporting via the octane.saveAnimation command). If you want to remove a mesh from the scene, move the transform out of the camera view.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo