Octane Mix Material inside Modo

Forums: Octane Mix Material inside Modo
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane Mix Material inside Modo

Postby Greggers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 am

Greggers Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 am
Hi Guys,

I was trying to follow this guys tutorial and hit a wall within a few minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEjSyYfEpE&t=351s

I tried with trial and error but failed to create a mix material. I looked in the documentation but couldn't figure it out. Please could someone point me in the right direction or give me some advise as to how to create the mix material inside of modo. Thank you kindly :-)
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Mix Material inside Modo

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am

face_off Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am
Can you be more specific about the problem you are having pls? Are you getting an error msg? You just need to add a Mix Material to the schematic, connect it to the Octane Override, then connect two material modes to the Mix Material.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Greggers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am

Greggers Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am
Hi Paul ,

No I'm not getting an error. I just don't know how to set it all up. Let's say I have a ground plane. With this ground plane I want to add 2 modo material groups. Group a would have a material with a texture map for the diffuse and a normal map for the surface detail. I would have another group in the modo shader tree too. This one would have a material inside it and a displacement map set to specular amount. I don't know how to bring both material groups into the schematic and connect them to a mix material.

I guess I'm obviously going about this the WRONG way. I put up the link to the YouTube tutorial at the beginning of the post as reference so someone could have a look and let me know how I would accomplish this. I understand it may be time consuming but octane and cinema seem to have so many tutorials but translating many of them into a method in modo is not the same but you and pixelfondue seem to be aiding modo users so I'm really chuffed. I would like a little guidance please :-)
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 am

face_off Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 am
Does the Mix Material manual page help? https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/modo/v3/octanerender-setup-window-rendering-tab/octanerender-setup-window-materials-tab/materials/mix-material/. I'm sorry - I haven't got time to watch the 22min video to see what you are trying to do. Can you post a screenshot?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Greggers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:18 pm

Greggers Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:18 pm
Well not really, for my understanding at least. Its ok paul I will try figure it out and get back to you. Thank you.
Greggers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby VISUAL360 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 am

VISUAL360 Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 am
Greggers,

I tried to match as closely as possible to what the vid was doing. I did actually download those high res images from poliigon as well. Cool textures!

Hope this is what you were looking for. Basically, you create an Octane Override for that specific shader and it populates the nodes for octane. That's where you can start adding your octane glossy and mix materials. From there you add image textures and displacements, etc...

Take a look at the file. Someone may have a better way of handling but I think this is the only way I can get close.

I think C4D has more capabilities of handling/changing images than the modo plugin. Looking at that vid, he was able to really tweak a lot of parameters that I just don't know how to do in modo/octane.

Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w8rm5cxf7qu18fr/AABsK5DA7SEDof1j0suYxpY5a?dl=0
Attachments
Capture.JPG
VISUAL360
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Greggers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 am

Greggers Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 am
Thank you, will have a look at this :-)
Greggers