Plugin - Lights - Workflow Enhancement Requests

Forums: Plugin - Lights - Workflow Enhancement Requests
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Plugin - Lights - Workflow Enhancement Requests

Postby MildMustard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 am

MildMustard Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 am
Hi Paul,

Working with Octane for modo, I have continually come across some workflow pains regarding lights. My questions/requests are the following:

1) Using "Create Octane Emitter", can we have the script link the channels from Modo Light "Intensity" to the Octane node Texture Emission "Power", so that I may select the light and change the intensity on the modo light instead of always going into schematic? (also maybe under the light's user channels create a connection to Colour, cast illumination, light pass)

2) After using the "Create Octane Emitter", is it possible for the script to create and place the light material inside a folder or material mask called Octane Lights, to group all light materials together within the tree? I really like to keep things organised and easy to find.

I am not sure how everyone else feels, but for interiors I have a lot of lights and it will really speed up my workflow if I can simply select the modo light and not always first find and select the mesh light, then select the material on the mesh, go to schematic, click on the node and then adjust the settings... for each light. Also it will keep some parity between the lighting i see in modo vs lighting intensities i see in Octane.
I would be grateful if you consider these changes as they will surely enhance workflows, for me at least :)
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Plugin - Lights - Workflow Enhancement Requests

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 am

face_off Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 am
I will investigate the viability of these. My first concern is that both enhancements make it more complex for users - since it becomes less obvious which item owns the property controls the light intensity for example. So potentially a script or command you run after creating the emitter (rather than changing the createEmitter command) means that you are aware that the node setup will be changed.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MildMustard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm

MildMustard Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm
Thanks for your reply Paul. I honestly wouldn't mind another script or a second option underneath the "Create Octane Emitter", something like "Create Link/UnLink Octane Emitter" maybe.. It will just make the workflow faster without as many clicks per light one needs to change. Thanks for considering and investigating it.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PackMen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm

PackMen Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm
I agree with both points 100%. I have to connect these parameters every time I create a light which is a major bottleneck.

I think the users would be happy to control intensity and color from modo modo light item properties. This is the way everyone did that before octane so there is nothing new to learn.
PackMen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:58 pm

face_off Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:58 pm
Pacmen, all this is now possible with the latest 3.6.3.117 test release posted in the plugin release thread.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby PackMen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 am

PackMen Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 am
That is great news Paul! Thanks for your hard work!

I'm on VR subscription model, do you know approximately when will it be available for us?
PackMen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:02 am

face_off Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:02 am
I'm on VR subscription model, do you know approximately when will it be available for us?
Once Octane 3.06 is released as a stable rather than test build, I will release the VR version of the plugin. OTOY indicated it might be this coming week.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby PackMen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:11 pm

PackMen Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:11 pm
Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Also, good job on the Youtube video. I think these recent additions will encourage more users to jump in and get their feet wet with Octane.

Cheers!
PackMen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby victorascencao » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

victorascencao Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am
Hello paul

you wrote this

by face_off » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 pm
Pacmen, all this is now possible with the latest 3.6.3.117 test release posted in the plugin release thread.

Paul

I can´t find that test release, can you post a link?

Thank you
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PackMen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 am

PackMen Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 am
PackMen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo