What works with udims and what doesn't?

Forums: What works with udims and what doesn't?
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

What works with udims and what doesn't?

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 am

OlaHaldor Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 am
I've been trying to use udims on a sphere, to become the earth. All good with the diffuse - the 8 tiles show up as expected.
Is displacements supposed to work with udim as well? I can't make it work at least. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong.
Modo & LightWave 3D | Win 10 x64 | RTX 2080 Ti | Threadripper 2920x | 128GB
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: What works with udims and what doesn't?

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 pm

OlaHaldor Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 pm
Trying a new thing now. I stitched together the displacement into a single file. It lines up with the udim color texture.
I made a second UV set which is the whole sphere filling a single UV tile, so the UV's are distorted, but it should be fine when the texture is applied. I double checked that with the color texture. Looks good.
When I select the projection node for the displacement map and set it to use UV set 2, not 1, I would expect it to align properly to the geometry, but it does not.

To me it looks like it's still using UV set 1 which tries to cram it all in the visible geo. See the attached files.
Attachments
uvset_2.JPG
uvset_1.JPG
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:32 pm

OlaHaldor Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:32 pm
Here's another one.. The displacement is connected as diffuse, and renders fine. It follows the UV set I applied it to. It also gives me instant feedback in Octane if I set it to use UV set 1.
But when I connect it to displacement, it just goes nuts and does not align at all.

What am I not getting here?
Attachments
disp_uv_2_displacement.JPG
disp_uv_2.JPG
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:50 pm
I think Udim Workflow just doesn't work for Normal and Displacement maps:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=56939&p=292418&hilit=udim#p292418
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm

OlaHaldor Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm
Got any hints on how I can make the displacement behave when it's all in a single map as seen in my last post?
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

face_off Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm
Both Normal or Displacement maps use the raw image file in Octane, so the UDIM node network implemented in the Modo plugin will not work.

Regarding your issue in the last image, I would need to see the mesh to comment. Perhaps there are some very long, thin triangles, which do not handle being displaced well in Octane. If you are prepared to put up with the limitations of the Modo Render Cache - you could apply the displacement map directly to the mesh in Modo, and then load the micro-displaced mesh into Octane. https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/modo/v3/modo901-specifics/. Enable the Polygon Displacement option in the Kernel->Settings panels to do this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm

OlaHaldor Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm
I'm would have to add an insane amount of subdivisions to make it render at the level of detail I need. I tried 10 and even up to 12 subdivisions, but it was sub par what I need. Not even close to the level Octane displacement can do.
I have attached the object with the two uv sets as used in the images above. It's set up with 8 udim tiles in set 1, and all the geo in a single tile in set 2.

I have tried to use a lower res image with all the 8 tiles stitched together to use as displace, and as shown above, it stretches and repeats when I connect it to displacement, but works fine when I connect it to diffuse.
You can test with any image really, and let me know what you find.

earth_2_uvsets.zip
(21.46 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

set_1.JPG
earth_2_uvsets.zip
(21.46 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Attachments
set_2.JPG
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 am

face_off Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 am
I'm not completely sure what I am looking at here. Is there perhaps a msg missing?

If you are using the Render Cache - you can increases the resolution by adjusting the Displacement Rate in the Shader Tree Render item.

Also, if using the Octane Displacement node, the displacement map will not wrap, so all your UV's will need to be in the 0-1 range.

I hope that helps.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby OlaHaldor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:55 am

OlaHaldor Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:55 am
I'll try to explain again.

The sphere is mapped in two UV sets.
In set 1 I have 8 UDIM tiles. This is where the diffuse color maps go.

In set 2 I have the entire sphere laid out to fill 0-1 so I can use the displacement map with it. (originally I wanted to use the much higher quality UDIM tile set, but stitched together a lower res image)

I don't get the quality I want from the modo displacement map, and as mentioned above, I tested a setting of up to 12 on the Catmull Clark subdivisions. The scene started to lag a lot, the quality was quite poor. So, not an option.

When I apply the displacement map through an Octane override, it wraps on the entire sphere - twice. It's like it's not using the UV set I created. I was unsure of why this happened, so I connected the image I'm using as displacement into diffuse - at it looks good. It does not distort. But when the same image map is connected to displacement in the octane override, weird stuff starts happening. Switching between UV set 1 and 2, or trying other ways to project the image on the mesh does not change anything. Whatever setting I use, it looks the same. Ref the images above.

For what it's worth, feel free to download the mesh I attached earlier too and give it a shot.

If it was confusing: I'm making this all in an octane override, nothing is created using the modo texturing/displacement stuff in the shader tree.
OlaHaldor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:59 am

face_off Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:59 am
I don't get the quality I want from the modo displacement map, and as mentioned above, I tested a setting of up to 12 on the Catmull Clark subdivisions. The scene started to lag a lot, the quality was quite poor. So, not an option.
As I mentioned above - you would need to adjust the modo Displacement Rate, not the number of subd's. But yes, it will be laggy due to the high poly-count.

When I apply the displacement map through an Octane override, it wraps on the entire sphere - twice. It's like it's not using the UV set I created. I was unsure of why this happened, so I connected the image I'm using as displacement into diffuse - at it looks good. It does not distort. But when the same image map is connected to displacement in the octane override, weird stuff starts happening. Switching between UV set 1 and 2, or trying other ways to project the image on the mesh does not change anything. Whatever setting I use, it looks the same. Ref the images above.
Which version of the plugin are you using pls?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo