Exporting tree from Modo

Forums: Exporting tree from Modo
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Exporting tree from Modo

Postby haffy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:20 am

haffy Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:20 am
Hi,

I am trying to save down some trees with Octane materials to speed up the future work, but when I choose "Export Selected Layers" I get this error "Could not copy Octane Override. To copy an Ocatne Override, use 'octane.materialMacro copyMaterial' and 'octane.materialMacro pasteMaterial' commands. Delete the blank Octane Override that has beed created."

Am I doing this wrong or is this fixed in a newer version of Octane ? I have 2.25.0.99.901.
3D Generalist.
haffy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Exporting tree from Modo

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am

face_off Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am
Hi - unfortunately the Modo Export Selected Layers command does not save Schematic items, so this approach does not work. Instead, save the tree as an .lxo and then File->Import that scene into other scenes.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby haffy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 am

haffy Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 am
Ok, thanks Paul. There is no way to save it as a preset ether then (To be used in Layout?)?
3D Generalist.
haffy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:20 am

face_off Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:20 am
There is no way to save it as a preset ether then (To be used in Layout?)?
Not that I know of. And I don't think you can even do that with Modo Materials which are placed on a Schematic. Hopefully TheFoundry will address this in a future release of Modo.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby funk » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:51 pm

funk Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:51 pm
face_off wrote:
I don't think you can even do that with Modo Materials which are placed on a Schematic

That's not quite true. You have to save assembly presets instead. I did a quick test with Octane nodes and it seems to work too.

To save an assembly preset, you need to create a new workspace, place everything into it that you want saved, then in the schematic overview screen, right click this workspace and choose "Save Assembly Preset"

Let me explain how I would do this for a mesh with octane overrides. In this example, I'll use a cube mesh, which has 2 materials (mat1 and mat2) and each material has an override.

1. In the Render layout > schematic tab > click "Add new workspace" and call it "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1"
2. Click the "groups" tab. You will see the new workspace listed there along with the octane node workspaces.
3. In the item list, select your mesh and drag it into the groups tab > "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1"
4. Select the "mat1 Nodes" and "mat2 Nodes" assemblies in the groups tab, and drag them into "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1".
5. In the shader tree, select the mat1 and mat 2 material masks and drag them into groups tab > "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1"
NOTE: "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1" will now contain everything that needs to be saved in the assembly preset
6. In the schematic view, click the overview button then right click on the "MyOctaneAssemblyPreset1" node and choose "Save Assembly Preset"

Save it to a location you can see in your f6 preset browser. You can then start a new scene, find the assembly in your preset browser and double click to load it.

The only issue is that "mat1" and "mat2" can no longer be selected from the "workspace" menu in the schematic of your new scene. It's not needed, but if you want to fix it, just open the main assembly in the groups tab, and drag the octane material node assemblies out.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am

face_off Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am
Funk - that is great. Thank you. I have added it to the FAQ.

https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/modo/v3/faq/

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby joshkitney » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am

joshkitney Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am
It's begining to look a lot like Christmas, presets are in the airrrrrrrr.

Funk, you are the funk!
i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Core OC 4.2GHz // 2x GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+, 1 GTX 670 // 64GB's // Windows 10
joshkitney
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo