Lost UV's

Forums: Lost UV's
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Lost UV's

Postby victorascencao » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:11 am

victorascencao Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:11 am
Hello, I bought Octane a few days ago and I'm very glad I did, is awesome. Watching some Paul's videos, and other tutorials, and reading a lot here, I'm getting there on the use of the stand alone and the modo plug in. I opened a scene i have already created in modo and because it has 2 robots that were created from the same one,; they have very similar names on their parts and on their UV's. So I have lots of this pesky "too much uvs on one part" and "can't find the uv index...". Reading here in the forums I understood that Octane looks for UV' indexes in a progrressive way and this causes those erros, but curiously lots of the textures load correctly on the octane plugin even getting the errors. The thing is that I cutted the parts of UV's that were creating the conflicts, created new UV's on the appropriate positions, and assigned the new UV's to the parts that need it, and it doesen't work. i see the mapping correctly when I do a render preview in Modo but no matter what I do I can't get them to work in octane. Im sure that Im doing something wrong but cant figure out what is it. i have reloaded the scene many times, triple checked the names and corresponding UV's and nothing.

Thank you in advance for any help

Victor
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lost UV's

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 am

face_off Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 am
Hi Victor - make sure you have Preferences->Use Modo Render Cache off, since it will stop UV's being sent to Octane if there is no image map in the Shader Tree group for the material.

Also - make sure you are running a recent release (3.4.4.114 or later).

To debug this, try rendering the UV Coordinates pass (and set the UV Coordinate Selection) - that will show you exactly what areas are UV'ed, for each map. render out the Material ID pass too, to make your the polygons have the right material tag. Also check the Modo event log for clues. If moment of that works, feel free to send me the scene and I can take a look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby victorascencao » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm

victorascencao Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm
Hello Paul, thank you for your repply,

actually I verified what you said and curiously when I turned the render cache off some textures dissappear, I have been checking all the file and after all day breaking my head I decided to take only a leg of the robot wher Im having a problem, export it to a clean file, delete all textures and materials and load it into the plugin, I discover that I still got the error too much uv´s on one mesh and when I applied the texture the behaviour was the same, the textures show ok in modo renderer but not in Octane.

I went to your video about multiple UV´s and saw the issue is not exactly that one (The behaviour is the same). So I break the leg (that has more than one mesh combined in one modo mesh) and separated it to a new modo mesh with an exclusive UV for it, and it works.

So it seems that we need to have only one mesh and one UV in each mesh to be able to render in octane is this right? Of course I have all the combined mesh with their exclusive UV islands and separate UV´s per material base and it renders perfectly in modo, but I'm concluding that is not possible to render this way in Octane.

Please let me know if this is right because in that case I have to break all my scene in pieces and dont want to do it if is not needed. :shock:

Thank you in advance.

Victor
Attachments
cache off.JPG
cache on.JPG
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 pm

face_off Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 pm
Just looking at the rendered output doesn't give me much info. May I recommend trying the suggestions I previously posted?
To debug this, try rendering the UV Coordinates pass (and set the UV Coordinate Selection) - that will show you exactly what areas are UV'ed, for each map. render out the Material ID pass too, to make your the polygons have the right material tag. Also check the Modo event log for clues. If moment of that works, feel free to send me the scene and I can take a look.

Also - it may be an issue where you have nested material groups in the Shader Tree, so can you pls post a screenshot of these groups.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby victorascencao » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm

victorascencao Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm
Paul how do I send you a dropbox link to the scene?
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:24 pm

face_off Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:24 pm
PM me the link pls.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby victorascencao » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 pm

victorascencao Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 pm
Done
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:28 am

face_off Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:28 am
Thanks for sending me the scene. The areas which are not rendering correctly are meshes which have more that 3 UV maps. Specifically:

Code: Select all
Too many UV maps for mesh [Pierna izquierda].  UV Maps found: Guardapolvos rodilla izquierda smart ass, Metales pierna izquierda smart ass, cromados pierna izquierda smart ass, pierna izquierda smart ass abajo1, pierna izquierda smart ass arriba
Too many UV maps for mesh [SmartAss].  UV Maps found: Antena smart ass SA, Esfera Base SA, apliques esfera SA, gomas Brazo SA, soportes de antena SA
Too many UV maps for mesh [Pierna derecha].  UV Maps found: Guardapolvos rodilla derecha smart ass, Metales pierna derecha smart ass, cromados pierna derecha smart ass, pierna derecha smart ass abajo, pierna derecha smart ass arriba

I have posted a new pre-release of the next version of the plugin which lists the UV Maps found for geometry with more than 3 maps. This should make it easier for you to resolve the issue. Pls see https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55078&p=297019#p297019 for details.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby victorascencao » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:38 pm

victorascencao Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:38 pm
Thank you Paul, solved separating all the meshes with their respective UV's. Is possible that in the future octane can read the UV's as they are in modo?

Thank you very much, you have been very helpfull.
victorascencao
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:59 am

face_off Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:59 am
The 3 UV Map per mesh limit is an Octane limit, so if you would like this increased, may I suggest you submit this as a feature request on the Octane Standalone 3.04.5 thread.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo