Animation just stops switching frames

Forums: Animation just stops switching frames
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Animation just stops switching frames

Postby LFedit » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:01 pm

LFedit Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:01 pm
Sorry for the delay, trying to finish this project. It still does it with network rendering off. I have been rendering an animation since last Wednesday, 240 frames at 9 minutes a frame. And its only at frame 203 this morning when I came into work. So it only rendered 203 frames in 5 days almost. At 9 minutes a frame, ha not quite adding up.

Like what happened to the "Load all frames into Octane" check box? Wouldnt that stop it from trying to update every frame?

I also just tried updating to the lastest build. And still takes forever between the frames. I hid all the textures, and all the geo, then added the geo back 1 by 1 basically. And it just keeps getting slower and slower the more I add.

I just cant get over how when I click the load animation button, it loads in fast, then renders the frame, but then when it goes to the second frame it just dies.

Sorry, running a lot of tests today, to try and figure this out. But if I just load it up, and move the slider, no update is required, but just because I click the animation button, it updates between frames. Doesn't make sense to me.
Win 7 64bit/ Nvidia Maximus k5000 and k20
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 am

face_off Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 am
I am so sorry - but without actually seeing the scene and being able to reproduce the problem, it is incredibly hard for me to help you :-/ Perhaps you could show me via Skype?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:02 pm

LFedit Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:02 pm
Could try that. Should I send you the latest scene once? And you can try it again? I will have it all setup, exactly how it is for me to see if it does it for you? Should just have to hit the animation render button.
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:09 pm

face_off Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:09 pm
Should I send you the latest scene once? And you can try it again? I will have it all setup, exactly how it is for me to see if it does it for you? Should just have to hit the animation render button.
I only have 16gb of RAM, so I doubt I will be able to load it.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 pm

LFedit Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 pm
Damn. I can confirm too this is happening on another project now too. It is a lot smaller of a project, you should be able to load it. This one doesn't take super long between frames, maybe 30 seconds, but when I first load it, it is almost instant. The frame only takes 6 seconds to render, but 30 to load. That seems to be about the ratio. Like my last project I was having problems with took about 25 mintues to render but like an hour to just load the geo each frame...
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 pm

face_off Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 pm
Pls send the new scene to me and I will take a look.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 pm

LFedit Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 pm
Sent via dropsend.

Here is the message I wrote in the drop send as well.

Hey Paul,

All you should have to do is open this and render the animation (Set your frame directory of course). I have network rendering on so it took me about 8 seconds per frame, then about 30 seconds to load the next frame. I have tried with out network rendering on and it does the same thing.

Let me know if you need anything else
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 pm

face_off Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 pm
Thanks for providing the file.

In summary....when the scene is first loaded, it is loading in a very economical way - such that mesh items are only loaded once. When refreshing (during animation), there is a lot more processing required to ensure each and every mesh is actually reloaded, resulting in some double-handling of meshes, resulting in a longer load time between frames. However I have been able to substantially optimise this processing based on the scene you sent me, and a test version is below.

- Compiled with Octane 3.05.0
- Reworked the Unreal Shader conversion as per the node layout provided by user "jonathan"
- The Environment Map gamma and invert channels are now read from the current frame rather than frame 0, so can now be animated
- Fixed bug when editing the Modo Material for a Volume which was causes an Octane Log error
- Changed the loading of VDB files to increase voxel resolution
- Filenames can now be connected to sub-assemblies to provide the file name of a Image node in that sub-assembly
- You can now plug a Modo Gradient item Color channel into the Gradient channel of an Octane Gradient 2 node (right-click the Octane node and "Add Channel"->"Gradient" to enable the connection. If you have the modo gradient input set to "Incidence", set the Octane "Falloff Skew Factor" to 1.75
- Added a Visible Environment button (refer to the Octane 3 Visible Environment documentation for how this is used). To access this, you need to add a second Modo Environment, and set the Octane Environment Use to Visible Environment. The Modo "Visible to Camera", "Visible to Reflection Rays" and "Visible to Refraction Rays" properties are used to populate the Octane Environment Backplate, Reflections and Refractions properties
- You can now edit the Octane Environment texture (for example, it can be color corrected as shown at https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/ ... -lighting/)
- Added a command octane.renderAndSave, which renders the current scene and saves to a file. All Modo functions are disabled during the render. This command would be useful for batch rendering from a script
- The "Too many UV maps for mesh" Octane Log error now lists the UV Maps that were found in use for the mesh, to easier allow the user to split the mesh to get to the Octane maximum of 3 UV Maps per mesh
- Optimised instance loading between frame whilst rendering animations

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/16/17/b0/2e/OctaneRender_for_Modo901_3_5_0_115_64bit.exe

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby LFedit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:09 pm

LFedit Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:09 pm
I will give it a go. Thanks Paul.

Still testing... But will this work with any network rendering then? or not yet?
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LFedit » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 pm

LFedit Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 pm
Hey Paul,

This is still going terrible for me. I am just doing a quick test of 10 sample and it takes about 2 seconds to render, then 30 seconds to reload the geometry in between frames. Its a killer, but like I stated earlier, I can take the slider and slide it no problem, it moves the camera and renders the right frame without having to load the geometry, but when I click render animation, it does this.

I swear there use to be a button that avoided this, because I have done 360 renders in the past that turned out to be like 900 frames total and had a ton of cad data that would take forever to load, and it never had to reload in between frames...

I also have the very latest version of the plugin.
LFedit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo