OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:00 pm

face_off Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:00 pm
I have updated the TEST installer at the top of this thread with https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/5c/7e/c3/d1/OctaneRender_for_Modo_3_08_0_126_64bit.exe which resolves the issue reported above "Octane can`t add Octane overide to every part of my mesh. See renders and provided scene.".

Edit - Looks like a camera projected texture (if the camera has film offsets) will render wrong.

I could not reproduce this problem. Can you pls provide a simple scene which demonstrates the issue.

I wanted to try the new toon shading. But i could not find the Toonlights. What do i have to do to get them?
These lights are not available in the current version of the plugin, but will be implemented with the next TEST release of Octane.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pixteur » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:13 pm

pixteur Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:13 pm
film_offset_error.jpg

projection_film_offset.zip
(651.7 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Camera projection error. Camera is projecting on a mesh and it is also the render camera. The camera has a film offset and Octane is set to use the MODO camera film offset.

In the viewport OK
In Preview OK
In Octane it's wrong.

Example scene included. Really need this functioning properly to hit a deadline.
pixteur
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TStudio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am

TStudio Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am
Thank you very much Paul!!

Best regards.
Tomasz
TStudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

face_off Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am
Example scene included. Really need this functioning properly to hit a deadline.
I will take a look at your scene. However pls note that camera projection film offset support has never been supported by the plugin, so expecting a new feature to be implemented so that you can meet your production deadline is asking a lot :-)

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pixteur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 pm

pixteur Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 pm
face_off wrote:camera projection film offset support has never been supported by the plugin, so expecting a new feature to be implemented so that you can meet your production deadline is asking a lot :-)
Paul

Paul,

In previous bugfixes dealing with the projections I must have read into things too much and understood that film back support would also be available on the projection camera in addition to the render camera. It's a fringe feature but important as soon as you have film offsets on the render camera, most projection workflows then depend on it.

Whatever you can do would be most appreciated.

Jesse
pixteur
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 am

face_off Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 am
Camera projection error. Camera is projecting on a mesh and it is also the render camera. The camera has a film offset and Octane is set to use the MODO camera film offset.

In the viewport OK
In Preview OK
In Octane it's wrong.
The following build will hopefully resolve this issue for you. A huge "thank you" to Funk who worked out the formula to correctly calculate the texture offset from the camera film offset.

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/50/ca/1d/c3/OctaneRender_for_Modo_3_08_0_126_64bit.exe

The release notes for this build are below - but pls note that some of the features are incomplete, so I suggest only updating to this release if it contains something that you urgently need.

- Compiled with Octane 3.08 TEST 6
- Nodes created in the Octane scene from Octane Overrides are now de-duplicated, meaning there will be a single Octane node created for each Modo schematic node. Users may see a slightly quicker render speed from this change.
- Fixed the Modo Light "Transparent Emission" property, which was not showing in the previous release
- Added Toon and Metallic Materials to the Octane Override Schematic
- Added Toon Ramp, Toon Point Light and Toon Directional Light nodes to the Octane Override Schematic
- Added BRDF Model, Anisotropy and Rotation to Glossy and Specular Materials
- The Modo Camera Film Offset X & Y channels are now applied to Front Projection textures
- Replaced the Gradient Smooth channel with Interpolation (to match Octane Standalone)
- Fixed bug where rendering animations and the octane.saveAnimation commands were not exporting replicators with Group as the prototype
- When rendering with the Front Projection for a Texture Locator, the Texture Camera (rather than the Render Camera) is now used to position the image
- Added Convert To Metallic button on the Octane Override schematic button panel
- Modo glossy materials now convert the Octane Glossy materials with a BRDF set to GGX, and the roughness values convert accordingly so that Octane and Modo match
- Added Custom LUT filename and strength to the Imager tab
- Added OSL Texture node
- Resolved issue where the Modo FOV was not being taking into account when camera projections with film offsets

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pixteur » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

pixteur Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am
Paul and Funk thanks so much! Exactly what I needed and fast fix too !

The projections are now working correctly with film offsets. This is going to be very useful to match real world tilt shift lenses.
pixteur
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MrFurious » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 pm

MrFurious Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 pm
Not so urgent for myself (found a workaround for the last 2 projects) but good to know this works for future projects. Many many thanks to Paul and Funk for their persistence with this.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Uhlhorn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Uhlhorn Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 pm
face_off wrote:For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using.
Paul, what version is matching exact?!? Is 3.7.0.125 the same as version 3.07 TEST 7?!? Where can find the exact matching version?

Please, can You always put a link to the matching Octane standalone installer to Your text? It would help us a lot!
(3.07 and 3.7 is definitely not the same for me! This is very confusing!)
Uhlhorn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 pm

face_off Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 pm
Paul, what version is matching exact?!? Is 3.7.0.125 the same as version 3.07 TEST 7?!? Where can find the exact matching version?

Please, can You always put a link to the matching Octane standalone installer to Your text? It would help us a lot!
(3.07 and 3.7 is definitely not the same for me! This is very confusing!)
If you check the release notes, it tells you the exact Octane version that was used.
3.07.0.125 (3-Nov-2017)
- Built with Octane 3.07
So that matches Octane Standalone 3.07 (not the prior TEST builds for 3.07).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo