OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am

face_off Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am
Face_off, please, see attached image.
That is just a typo. I will fix it in the next release. You are installing the Studio version.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby lluistar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:14 pm

lluistar Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:14 pm
@Face_off,

Can you try to install it?
Because if I continue with the installation I can't see any Studio installed in my Apps folder and then MODO crashes.
if I install the .135 plugin after, modo works again but can't open but octane can't launch because the license is not set up in Studio 4.
I try to open Studio 4 but it is nowhere to be found.
lluistar
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Obizzz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Obizzz Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Is the Unreal shader supported?

It works... sort of. It reads the maps but the results are not consistent with what I get with the Modo renderer or Vray which both match the look I get in Substance Painter. If I fiddle a bit with gamma I can get close to the result but it would be nice if it was a 1:1 match like the others.
Obizzz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 am

face_off Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 am
I have created a separate thread for the Octane 4 builds of the plugin - which is at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69391. There is a new release there, and it also fixes the OSX Studio issues.

It works... sort of. It reads the maps but the results are not consistent with what I get with the Modo renderer or Vray which both match the look I get in Substance Painter. If I fiddle a bit with gamma I can get close to the result but it would be nice if it was a 1:1 match like the others.
If you use the octane.showNodeGraph command, you can see the Unreal shader that the plugin creates. If you see any issues with it, pls let me know and I can apply the appropriate fixes.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Obizzz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Obizzz Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm
face_off wrote:
If you use the octane.showNodeGraph command, you can see the Unreal shader that the plugin creates. If you see any issues with it, pls let me know and I can apply the appropriate fixes.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks I had forgotten about the showNodeGraph command. I've been off Octane for a while using Vray but I thought it was time to have a look at what's new since I last used it over a year ago.

If I set the roughness texture to 2.2 in the shader tree it seems to match the Modo render. That gives me a gamma of 1 in the node graph. The base color on the other hand looks correct at gamma 1 in the shader tree.

Is it correct that I should set the roughness to 2.2 in the shader tree to get the correct conversion? Does this also apply to the metallic texture?
Attachments
octanescreen.png
Obizzz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 am

face_off Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 am
I have updated the Windows STABLE installers at the top of this thread with:

3.08.5.137 (11-Nov-2018)
- Fixed issue where the plugin was not releasing the Octane license on exit
- Fixed issue introduced in 3.08.3.135 where ORBX proxies assigned to Mesh items were not live updating
- Fixed issue where Render Priority always starting at High when starting a render
- Added the option to save an animation to OCS/ORBX from the Export button on the toolbar (this was previously done via the octane.saveAnimation command)
- Added support for the OSL Projection
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added code to speed up transform changes on large meshes. This only applies to Mesh items with Live Geometry Update ON, and when the Render Cache if OFF.
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added support for OSL cameras
- Added support for the OSL UV Projection node
- Updated the Modo SDK from Modo901 to Modo10
- Added on-the-fly conversion of Modo Portal lights

I will add OSX and Linux builds in the next week.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:23 am

face_off Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:23 am
If I set the roughness texture to 2.2 in the shader tree it seems to match the Modo render. That gives me a gamma of 1 in the node graph. The base color on the other hand looks correct at gamma 1 in the shader tree.

Is it correct that I should set the roughness to 2.2 in the shader tree to get the correct conversion? Does this also apply to the metallic texture?
It is possible the shader material is not picking up the color space of your scene correctly. So I suggest seeing if changing the Scene->Default colorspaces fixes the issue. Making changes to the Unreal material would be what difficult now, and in the medium-term it is better to replace it with the new Octane Universal material.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Obizzz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:56 am

Obizzz Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:56 am
face_off wrote:It is possible the shader material is not picking up the color space of your scene correctly. So I suggest seeing if changing the Scene->Default colorspaces fixes the issue. Making changes to the Unreal material would be what difficult now, and in the medium-term it is better to replace it with the new Octane Universal material.

Thanks

Paul

No worries. I eyeballed it to match my Vray render by adjusting the roughness gamma.
Obizzz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

plugin version question

Postby dutchbaker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm

dutchbaker Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm
Hello,
I'm using this setup:
Windows 10 64bit,
NVIDEA GeForce GTX 680 card, drivers v391.35
MODO_801_SP5_win,
OctaneRender_3_08_5_win,
OctaneRender_for_Modo plugin v_3_3_3_112.

My question is: is the plugin v_3_3_3_112 i'm using the highest version i can use, or can i take the highest v3, e.g. v3_6_5_118?

Thanks,
herman
dutchbaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:53 am

face_off Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:53 am
Hi Herman

The last plugin release that supported Modo801 was 3.6.5.119, so you could try any version up to that release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo