Ortho camera

Forums: Ortho camera
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Ortho camera

Postby Dingbat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:29 pm

Dingbat Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:29 pm
is there a reason why the plugin can't match the Octane camera type (ortho/perspective) to that specified in the MODO settings for each camera?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Ortho camera

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:48 am

face_off Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:48 am
This could be automated, however at the moment there is not a good match between the Modo and Octane Ortho camera scales - so it is currently an explicit setting to turn on the Octane Ortho camera. The conversion of the Modo Camera scale to the Octane scale is a function of the Modo Camera "Film Width", "Film Height", "Angle of View" and "Film Fit" and I was not able to work out the formula for the Ortho camera.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Dingbat Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 pm
i noticed the difference in scale and assumed it was down to something technical

i think it would still be useful to link the camera types so at least that bit is automated. it's easy enough to render something and realise later it'd perspective and not ortho
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 am

funk Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 am
I had a quick look at this and it should be fixable.

The problem seems to be that the plugin is using "target distance" in the conversion (which should not be used since modo changes this constantly as you "move" in the GL camera view), while modo is actually using the "focal distance" channel.

I have attached an example scene. If you set the "target distance" to 1.5, to match the value in "focal distance", the render looks correct

While this manual workaround works, it will break as soon as you "move" the camera in the gl view, which changes the target distance (eg. "a" to fit all).
Attachments
ortho_cam_issue_01.7z
(32.78 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo