global material changes

Forums: global material changes
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

global material changes

Postby jwfvr » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:19 pm

jwfvr Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:19 pm
hi - is it possible to set up a schematic/material so you can make "global" changes? -meaning if I have a plant with 5 different leaf materials to have variety within the plant, and I want to maintain the variation, but want to make them all lighter or darker by the same amount, is there a way to do that? right now I am having to click on each override one at a time and change each material individually, which is fine for one but I have more than 50...

thank you
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: global material changes

Postby funk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:16 pm

funk Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:16 pm
You can share nodes between overrides, but you need to be smart about it
https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginM ... rrides.htm

For example, if you want to color correct all your materials, you could:

1. add a separate color correction node to each override
2. add a single greyscale color node into 1 override and attach it to the brightness channel
3. copy this greyscale color node to all the other overrides (right click > copy nodes to > workspace > override)
4. connect the copied node to each individual color correction > brightness channel

Now when you change the value of this grayscale node to 0.5, all the overrides sharing it will have their brightness set to 0.5

I have attached an example. Just go into any override and adjust the greyscale color node.
NOTE: You'll notice it has 3 dots under the node. This means the node also belongs to another schematic workspace. The yellow output channel means that channel is also connected to other nodes.
Attachments
funk_share_nodes_001.7z
(14.75 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 pm

funk Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 pm
Another way to do this is to use 1 material, but apply a weight map to different meshes. This is more advanced and gets a bit tricky though

Here is an example. 1 mesh's polys have a weight map value of 0.0, the next mesh is set to 0.25 and the other to 0.5

I then use a gradient node, with the input set to the weight map (greyscale vertex attribute, name = "Weight"). Set input positions to 0.0, 0.25 and 0.5, and each "value" set to a color.

This gives me 1 material controlling 3 different diffuse colors. Now if I change the color correction node, or glossy material values, it affects all 3.
Attachments
funk_global_changes_using_1_material_and_weights_001.7z
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jwfvr » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:12 pm

jwfvr Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:12 pm
thank you!! this is exactly what I am looking for! I wish I had been smart enough to ask this before making so many presets... :(
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo