Still waiting for stable release of 2020.2 in the year 2021!

Forums: Still waiting for stable release of 2020.2 in the year 2021!
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Still waiting for stable release of 2020.2 in the year 2021!

Postby blockmind » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 am

blockmind Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 am
Hello,
I love what you do guys, I'm not sure if you deserve the critics that I will write here. I'm still hoping that I missed a release, or note, and writing these by missing something.

But I'm a bit of lost here. Latest stable release of Octane is 2020.1.5 which doesnt support denoising on RTX 30xx cards. Latest 2020.2 RC7 has problems on denoising (it kicks in with random delays).

I use Octane with Modo plugin. I bought an RTX 3070 in the middle of 2020, renewed my Octane maintenance, it passed several months over it, and still I can't render a denoised shot with a "stable" Octane release in Modo.

I dont know if I will be able to use RC releases with confidence on my commercial projects with this GPU too... When do we get a stable Octane 2020.2 version with plugins? Isn't this delay of months to support a new technology card a bit of weird?

P.S. 2020.2 RC7 finally generates denoised renders with these series of cards without random crashings like on the RC6, but on the RC7 denoising takes more than 1 minute per frame on RTX 3070!*

*A correction about the denoising time of 2020.2 RC7
It takes random times to complete the denoising. sometimes 3 seconds, sometimes 26 seconds, and another one took 56 seconds. and sometimes it just doesn't finish.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Still waiting for stable release of 2020.2 in the year 2021!

Postby mojave » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm

mojave Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm
If your scene requires a lot of VRAM the denoiser may be switching to a fallback mode which may make it run slower than usually, this could be the behaviour you are experiencing but it is hard to tell without a test scene.

If you could share a scene showing this via PM we could give it a try using your same hardware and confirm whether this is not something else that should be fixed.

Thank you.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby blockmind » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:20 am

blockmind Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:20 am
mojave wrote:If your scene requires a lot of VRAM the denoiser may be switching to a fallback mode which may make it run slower than usually, this could be the behaviour you are experiencing but it is hard to tell without a test scene.

If you could share a scene showing this via PM we could give it a try using your same hardware and confirm whether this is not something else that should be fixed.

Thank you.

Hello Mojave,
Thanks for your reply. On 2020.1.5 with Rtx 2070 I rendered tons of out-of-core scenes, never encountered with random completion times on denoising. It must be something about the RC7 or 30xx cards.

This images show the different completion times https://imgur.com/a/Ty1QyBe

I tried to reproduce the same variated denoising times again, but now it differs just ±1 seconds as it should be. Luckily I recorded a video 3 days ago about this problem and you can see the exact problem here:

I tested more than 3 scenes and got that various denoising times before, sometimes they didn't started like on the video. I hope it's fixed for them too, I will try it out. I can't post any project right now but I will try to export my other scenes to test it out more. I will post my findings here.
blockmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Zay Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm
You are right on the edge where Octane switch to OOC. I would find a way to reduce the memory. You can see your desktop programs uses almost 4GB. Close some of them of find a way to reduce memory in their apps. Some can.
In Octane Kernel you can also lower the "Parallel Sampling". This can free up a lot of memory but can also give higher rendering times. But focus first on your background apps as they use about 50% of your memory.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Development Build Releases