OctaneRender™ 2020.2 RC6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.2 RC6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.2 RC6 [current 2020.2]

Postby abstrax » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm

abstrax Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:Hi,
It looks like we may have a problem wit objects whose normals have been edited.
Load the scene and rotate the view. You'll notice the shading will not be constant as defined by the normal editing.
This happens in previous versions as well.
I've used the Toon Material so to make the fact more evident.

The vertex normals are coplanar to the polygon surface, i.e. are invalid. In those cases a filter comes into play that tries to fix artifacts caused by smooth normals that diverge too much from the face normal and are viewed from glancing angles. This filter takes the viewing angle into account and makes the "fixed" smooth/shading normals view dependent. In your case the vertex normals are so far off that there is nothing that can be done anyway.

-> It's not a bug but a feature.
Attachments
wonky normals.png
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby SSmolak » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 pm

SSmolak Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 pm
I have error when render is stopped and started again. It is related to Cinema 4D plugin and Standalone version too. I have two NVlinked 2080ti
Attachments
oct_err.png
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 pm

abstrax Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 pm
SSmolak wrote:I have error when render is stopped and started again. It is related to Cinema 4D plugin and Standalone version too. I have two NVlinked 2080ti

Thanks for the report. Currently looking into it. (See also viewtopic.php?p=395065#p395065)
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby galleon27 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm

galleon27 Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm
Is it possible to add the Alpha channel to Channel Picker, Merge, etc.?
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Jolbertoquini Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm
Hi Guys,

I find a bug, everything is working for me with ACES but when I render the output with all passes all the passes is good except the Depth pass is rendering weird when ACES is activated. the exr as linear is not exporting also properly. All other passes looks like is all good color passes

but on the info channel should be ignored by aces I think specially when we export linear :)
Attachments
ACES_on.jpg
ACES ON
ACES_off.jpg
ACES OFF
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 pm

linograndiotoy Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 pm
abstrax wrote:
linograndiotoy wrote:Hi,
It looks like we may have a problem wit objects whose normals have been edited.
Load the scene and rotate the view. You'll notice the shading will not be constant as defined by the normal editing.
This happens in previous versions as well.
I've used the Toon Material so to make the fact more evident.

The vertex normals are coplanar to the polygon surface, i.e. are invalid. In those cases a filter comes into play that tries to fix artifacts caused by smooth normals that diverge too much from the face normal and are viewed from glancing angles. This filter takes the viewing angle into account and makes the "fixed" smooth/shading normals view dependent. In your case the vertex normals are so far off that there is nothing that can be done anyway.

-> It's not a bug but a feature.

As a 3d artist, I have to say I don't like this feature that much, and I would love to be able to turn it off if possible. Defining custom normals may be really important for NPR and game assets, and those should stay consistent from any camera angle.

I made a video showing how other renders (in order LightWave and Cycles, but it really works fine in any other render I tested) can correctly manage this kind of situation:

https://youtu.be/ijWK1dNmKvo
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby KeeWe » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm

KeeWe Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm
Are there any infos about headless rendering, when to be expected and a rough explanation how it will work with the c4d plugin?
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:51 am

karl Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:51 am
Jolbertoquini wrote:Hi Guys,

I find a bug, everything is working for me with ACES but when I render the output with all passes all the passes is good except the Depth pass is rendering weird when ACES is activated. the exr as linear is not exporting also properly. All other passes looks like is all good color passes

but on the info channel should be ignored by aces I think specially when we export linear :)

Thanks for the report. The issue with the weird stripes in the depth pass will be fixed in the next build.

I'm not quite sure about the EXR export problem though - that seems to work fine. What problem are you seeing? If it's that the entire image looks white, that's just because the depths are likely to be greater than 1.0 - they're there, you just can't see them in a normal viewer unless you reduce the exposure.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jolbertoquini » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 am

Jolbertoquini Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 am
karu wrote:
Jolbertoquini wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the report. The issue with the weird stripes in the depth pass will be fixed in the next build.

I'm not quite sure about the EXR export problem though - that seems to work fine. What problem are you seeing? If it's that the entire image looks white, that's just because the depths are likely to be greater than 1.0 - they're there, you just can't see them in a normal viewer unless you reduce the exposure.

no export is working sorry my bad I didn't express properly haha is the info passes normal, uv , depth, position they have issues
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.2 RC6

Postby BCres » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 pm

BCres Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 pm
aoktar wrote:
useruser wrote:
Mikla wrote:Hey there;

Having render freeze when I have objects with keyed visibility attiributes. Tested with default cinema4d visibility property and octane tag visibility slider.

When the render reaches to the frame with the visibility key it stops calculation and hangs. This doesnt happen in the LiveViewer.

Im using HDR/sRGB output with no denioser. 2x RTX3080. having RTX on or off doesnt make a difference. I'm sending the sample scene file to aoktar.

same problem here: rendering hangs up in pictureviewer.( not in live viewer) with both options:animated visibility property in octane-objecttag or the c4d-standard visibility-tag.
so i switched back to octane 2019 because it was unable to render the project.

It was a problem from sdk, not plugin part

I'm bringing these quotes over from the C4D plugin forum and wondered if this was being looked at. I have just noticed this same problem in a new project I am working with, too.

The issue is...if the visibility attributes are keyed on/off, and you are anywhere in between those keyed frames, Octane freezes. I can work all day long in this same project as long as I avoid that portion of the timeline.

It doesn't happen in 2020.1.5 with the same project, only in the 2020.2 RC6 release candidate. Thank you.
BCres
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases