Octane X™ PR 2: Faster! Big Sur: Intel+AMD Polaris Support!

Forums: Octane X™ PR 2: Faster! Big Sur: Intel+AMD Polaris Support!
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: Octane X™ PR 2: Faster! Big Sur: Intel+AMD Polaris Support!

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:38 am

bepeg4d Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:38 am
Hi James,
please note that we are still in the first public beta versions of OctaneX, so some glitches are expected, and it cannot be consider stable for production yet.
But it is getting better and better at each update, and there are already some users that are using OctaneX in production :D
For example, c4doctaneX PR1 was very unstable with node editor, but now PR2 is very stable with it.
For me, it is a pleasure to work with it, and what is impressive to me is how OctaneX better handles VRAM memory compared with CUDA PC.
For example, 8GB of VRAM are ~8GB of available VRAM in OctaneX, not less than 6.5GB like on Windows!

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby james_conkle » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:37 pm

james_conkle Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:37 pm
Thanks Beppe! From my understanding you're a long time Mac user as well from some screen shots I've seen on the form here, glad to know it's getting plenty of attention. I'll definitely wait until the production ready build in this case, especially for the network rendering with my existing windows machine, but it's great to hear about the improved stability, node fix and VRAM performance!

I have some friends in the photo industry that are looking into 3D design but some of them use 2013 Mac Pro models which for photo they still kick butt but I imagine the OB score of the D700 would be sub 100 points? And sorry if this question has been asked before but is the plan for Octane X to be able to use both GPU and CPU when rendering? I'm thinking performance gains from that might be negligible but maybe necessary depending how Apple silicone and discrete GPU are handled in the future... but that's a rabbit hole no one knows about :roll:
Octane C4D Plugin 2021.1 / C4D R25.015
UNIT 0: 2080ti / 6700K / 64GB / 500w
UNIT 1: 2x 3090 / 3970x / 128GB ECC / 1600w
UNIT 2: 5500M / 9980HK / 32GB / 95w
RNDR Artist Calculator
james_conkle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:46 am

bepeg4d Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:46 am
Hi James,
yes, my first Mac was from 1993, and I fell in love with Octane with a Mac Pro 2009 with an Nvidia GT120 512MB in 2010, so I have followed all the Mac Octane development from the beginning. I have installed in my Mac Pro during time something like 6x Fermi, 4x Kepler, 2x Maxwell, 4x Pascal different Nvidia GPUs, and it is still running :D

Now in 2020, we have finally a native Octane version for Mac with AMD/Intel support (no need to waist time with Nvidia/CUDA drivers), and already deigned to work with Apple Silicon GPUs, so roughly any relatively recent Mac will be able to run OctaneX natively with Mac Os 11 Big Sur new Metal driver :D

About Mac Pro 2013, I doubt that FirePro DX00 series will be supported in future, and if supported, the performance cannot be similar to a GPU of seven years later, I guess :roll:
So you are forced to use Thunderbolt 2 connection with eGPUs, slower than TB3 in loading the scene to GPUs.
Please also note that in OctaneX, the AI Denoiser is performed via CPU, not GPU, but you should need a CPU from 2015 or newer for performing AI Denoiser with OctaneX.
Older CPUs do not have the necessary instructions for AI Denoiser.

In my opinion, better to have an iMac or MacBook Pro from 2016 or newer, with Thunderbolt 3, and AI DEnoiser supported, than a Mac Pro from 2013 :roll:

Happy Mac GPU Rendering,
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm
Hey guys, I ran into an issue with displacement on Mac, in PR2 (not sure if this is present in earlier versions). Triangle lines (which look to align with the polygon subdivisions) are showing up with displacement--both vertex and regular displacement. I opened the exact same scene on my PC and the issue is not present.

As you can see in the below screenshot, it appears to be pulling color from the background surrounding the text for some odd reason (it's not the polys physically breaking apart). As well, the top and bottom screenshots are set at different subdivision labels, so you can see that the triangle lines change with respect to the subdivision levels.

DisplaceProblem.jpg
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases