Shadow Catcher Artifacts - Mesh Lights with improper shadows

Forums: Shadow Catcher Artifacts - Mesh Lights with improper shadows
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Shadow Catcher Artifacts - Mesh Lights with improper shadows

Postby tcheng00 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:43 pm

tcheng00 Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:43 pm
Hi Guys,

I've been testing out a goemetry plane using Universal material and a Emission color value. The light that comes from it does not cast shadows correctly onto a Shadow Catcher. Please take a look.

shadow_Catcher_Bug2.jpg

bikefull2.jpg

bike_nolight.jpg

With no Mesh Lights, the shadow catcher looks proper from the HDRI.
tcheng00
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Shadow Catcher Artifacts - Mesh Lights with improper shadows

Postby frankmci » Fri May 01, 2020 3:00 pm

frankmci Fri May 01, 2020 3:00 pm
If I understand you correctly, it's behaving as intended. You don't see any shadows, because there are no shadow rays cast in those areas. Shadow catchers catch shadows, they don't catch overall illumination. Try enabling, "double sided" in the emission node. It will still give you some artifacts if you are using a single plane as an emitter, though, since it's infinitely thin and does not emit sideways. To eliminate that artifact, use geometry with some significant thickness.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 11.06.31 AM.png
Single Sided, Double Sided, Thick
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shadow Catcher Artifacts - Mesh Lights with improper shadows

Postby tcheng00 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 pm

tcheng00 Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 pm
Your example is correct behavior, but it doesn't work for my HDRI backdrop and shadow catcher combination (I tried mulitple HDRIs too). Light should be an additive effect, and shouldn't make shadows even darker compare to the image lit only with the HDRI. If you change the shadow catcher to a diffuse surface for comparison, it shows the shadows correctly (no hard edge artifact that is darker than what was cast by the HDRI alone). I tried double-sided, it just makes the ground too dark overall, which shouldn't be the case. This doesn't happen with a normal octane light plane, it only happens with mesh emission lights and shadow catcher combination. I tried increasing the samples, but the artifact still remains.

diffuse_ground.jpg
tcheng00
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Development Build Releases