OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB2 [superseded by 2020.1 XB3]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB2 [superseded by 2020.1 XB3]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB2 [latest 2020.1.x]

Postby linograndiotoy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:34 pm

linograndiotoy Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:34 pm
mojave wrote:
linograndiotoy wrote:Activating Autobump is crashing Octane ("2 GPUs (All Failed)") when RTX is on

Thank you for reporting this, this will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks!

It would be great if we could have AutoBump Intensity implemented. We're receiving a lot of requests about it.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linograndiotoy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm

linograndiotoy Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm
It looks like we have an issue with UV sets when using Random Walk (thanks Shaun Lee Bishop for reporting it).
Basically the Albedo input in the Random Walk node is able to correctly use UV set 1 only.
Just load the scene in Standalone 2020.1 XB2 and start the preview. The mesh has 2 identical UVs. Everything looks fine when UV set 1 is used:
UVSet1.JPG

Now change the UVW Projection to UV set 2, and you'll get this:
UVSet2.JPG

Thanks!

UVSetIssue.orbx
(180.05 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Notiusweb Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 pm
rajib wrote:
Thank you for adding the Opacity Option for the Hair Material. It makes it a lot more useful.

Hi Rajib, have you successfully used the Hair-shader on a traditional opacity masked Daz hair, or were you just noting that the opacity channel is a good thing.
Because I am not seeing any ability for the simple meshes to utilize the shader as-is now. I can only make the Hair shader produce a tinge of color akin to a flat black or white on Daz opacity masked hair.

It looks like the Hair-shader has been 'groomed' now to solely work with strand based mesh, in that it cannot produce color on a simple mesh like the XB1 Hair shader (which did not have opacity).
Which kind of makes it a Spline-shader, not a Hair-shader.
Like, it only works with strand hair.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby VVG » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 pm

VVG Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 pm
VVG wrote:hi, dev
Vectron Volumes its something mystical?

how it works? give us example scene pls

1. viewtopic.php?p=373864#p373864
2. viewtopic.php?p=375169#p375169
3. viewtopic.php?p=370185#p370185

thanks

ok. i ask again

Vectron Volumes how it work in 2020.1?
Win 10x64, AMD 1950x 16C/32T, RAM 32Gb, RTX 3060x3
Octane-for-C4D(R23.110)2021.x.x, Cycles4D, Centileo. Nvidia 472.47 STUDIO
VVG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:40 pm

frankmci Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:40 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:The baking camera is still broken since 2019. Are gonna look into it?

We've been using the baking camera in 2019 without any problem. What's not working with it?
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wallace » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:42 pm

wallace Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:42 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Otoy - give us a hair mode where we can use it for opacity based hair on a simple primitive mesh.

Because I say to you now - you had exactly this in XB1, as I showed, I could get the colored box.
It was just we didn't have (1) the ability to control reflection or (2) an opacity map.

Add a mode where we had what we had for color in XB1, but with the opacity and reflection control.

Because here's why -
Daz uses opacity based hairs
UE4 uses opacity based hairs

The way you have it the Hair material won't work for these avatars.
A lot of the times these are simple meshes so you can animate these figures more readily.

Use-wise, what you have going now is a Bust-hair, like some kind of specialized what I will call 'Arnold head' bust hair....
And that's great.

But I want 10 avatars in a pillow fight.
I can't do that with bust spline hair, they will need simple mesh opacity based hair.
Include these avatars too in the wonders of your hair shader.

Primitive Mesh Color Mode
:evil:

I can investigate the color issue. However, I have to emphasize:

Hair BRDF is a hair-strand (curve) based material, the BRDF itself is an integral of bounces using the assumption that hair is cylindrical shaped geometry like a hair/fur fiber, i.e. it requires the knowledge of strand normal/strand tangent plane to compute it, whilst using reflectance data on real fiber (which is cylindrical).

This is why it is a special BRDF, and also this is why it has longitudinal roughness and azimuthal roughness, which describes precisely the scattering lobe shape in the longitudinal or azimuthal direction upon an intersection with the hair fiber.

What you have described or trying to do is a texture mapped hair for real-time/gaming rendering, which is not what Hair BRDF is made for. I suggest you use the universal material or layered material for what you are trying to do.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mojave » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm

mojave Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:The baking camera is still broken since 2019. Are gonna look into it?

I can reproduce an issue where the geometry goes missing when using the baking camera switching between render targets in this version, however this is not present in 2019. Could you please confirm this is what you report, whether you can reproduce it in 2019 and share a repro scene in that case?

Thank you.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby vijay » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm

vijay Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm
galleon27 wrote:Auto bump map in displacement doesn't work.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Could you please send me the scene for testing? All my simple test cases are working fine.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:20 pm

Notiusweb Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:20 pm
wallace wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Otoy - give us a hair mode where we can use it for opacity based hair on a simple primitive mesh.

Because I say to you now - you had exactly this in XB1, as I showed, I could get the colored box.
It was just we didn't have (1) the ability to control reflection or (2) an opacity map.

Add a mode where we had what we had for color in XB1, but with the opacity and reflection control.

Because here's why -
Daz uses opacity based hairs
UE4 uses opacity based hairs

The way you have it the Hair material won't work for these avatars.
A lot of the times these are simple meshes so you can animate these figures more readily.

Use-wise, what you have going now is a Bust-hair, like some kind of specialized what I will call 'Arnold head' bust hair....
And that's great.

But I want 10 avatars in a pillow fight.
I can't do that with bust spline hair, they will need simple mesh opacity based hair.
Include these avatars too in the wonders of your hair shader.

Primitive Mesh Color Mode
:evil:

I can investigate the color issue. However, I have to emphasize:

Hair BRDF is a hair-strand (curve) based material, the BRDF itself is an integral of bounces using the assumption that hair is cylindrical shaped geometry like a hair/fur fiber, i.e. it requires the knowledge of strand normal/strand tangent plane to compute it, whilst using reflectance data on real fiber (which is cylindrical).

This is why it is a special BRDF, and also this is why it has longitudinal roughness and azimuthal roughness, which describes precisely the scattering lobe shape in the longitudinal or azimuthal direction upon an intersection with the hair fiber.

What you have described or trying to do is a texture mapped hair for real-time/gaming rendering, which is not what Hair BRDF is made for. I suggest you use the universal material or layered material for what you are trying to do.

I understand the points you assert.
It sounds like when you are saying that you can investigate the color issue, to me that means you don't have a way of handling both mesh types (opacity masked simple-mesh ,and spline/strand) with that shader.
So what I want to ask here is that could we instead add a sub-node type in the shader for opacity-masked simple mesh hair, so that it can be used with all the cool hair stuff - the melanonin and pheomelanin, longitudinal and azimuthal roughness, randomness frequency-offset-intensity.

Like, make a Hair sub-node-type select, like you guys have for Medium > (Absorption, Random-walk, Scattering, Volume).
Make it like this:
HAIR > (Strand/spline, Simple opacity masked mesh)...or something like that. Just put the XB2 one as the one, and the XB1 one as the other, respectively.
And then let both use the opacity and IOR....Easy peasy....Done!...

Because, I will say, you did go out of your way to add in the opacity, thank you very much, and IOR, for reflection control, as we were requesting...
so keep it going and get the HAIR fully functional for all cases, it will be very cool!
I promise you it will be AMAZING.

Look, if I wanted to use the Universal I would have used it.
But I am not interested in using that for Hair....
I want the HAIR material, because I LOVE it, and I love the way it makes me feel.
I know this now.
And deep down, I know it loves me, and I am willing to fight for that Love.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:13 pm

vijay Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:13 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
mojave wrote:
linograndiotoy wrote:Activating Autobump is crashing Octane ("2 GPUs (All Failed)") when RTX is on

Thank you for reporting this, this will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks!

It would be great if we could have AutoBump Intensity implemented. We're receiving a lot of requests about it.

I can try to add something to clamp the auto bump angle offset, but I feel it is unnecessary. The purpose of the auto bump is to get the vertex displacement result as close as you expected result (or how you see in software like Mudbox) in an acceptable lower subdivision level, tweaking angle will only make things worse(not as close as expected result). The old version of the auto bump map had shading issues, thus we were feeling like we need an auto bump intensity, but after the overhaul we did, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I checked your facebook post in the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneR ... 860148154/ could you send me the exported orbx scene. I'll check why we lose the details when we turn on the auto bump, but it has nothing to do with intensity.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases