OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1

Postby TRRazor » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:27 am

TRRazor Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:27 am
Problem is that Out Of Core rendering isnt working again. Getting diverse CUDA errors in every scene we tryed.

I second that, OOC is effectively broken in the latest DAZ Studio plug-in release. No matter what OOC size and no matter what GPU head-room I use, the scene crashes, as soon as out-of-core memory would be used.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GillesKontrol » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am

GillesKontrol Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am
Any idea when network rendering is going to be a possibility again?
I would love to try rendering my scenes on my node without having to export them all the time.

On the standalone I cannot get multipass rendering to render as well, it just gets stuck at the end of the first frame and doesn't move on to the next frame.

Also for some scenes, when RTX is off, the scene renders fine. When RTX is on, the frame comes out as completly black. They're all exported from the C4D 2020 Plugin.
GillesKontrol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:16 pm

divasoft Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:16 pm
GillesKontrol wrote:Any idea when network rendering is going to be a possibility again?
I would love to try rendering my scenes on my node without having to export them all the time.

On the standalone I cannot get multipass rendering to render as well, it just gets stuck at the end of the first frame and doesn't move on to the next frame.

Also for some scenes, when RTX is off, the scene renders fine. When RTX is on, the frame comes out as completly black. They're all exported from the C4D 2020 Plugin.

+1 we need network slave as fast as possible.
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm

funk Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm
I just posted this bug in the 2019.1.4 thread, but it also affects 2020.1 XB1

viewtopic.php?p=374501#p374501 (see post for OCS file)

Layered materials dont seem to work correctly if you have a layer, and the BASE MATERIAL pin comes from a MIX or COMPOSITE material

layered_material_bug.png
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:17 am

TRRazor Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:17 am
There seems to be a problem with alpha-mapped objects casting shadows onto random walk sss-enabled geometry.
The shadow in this scene shouldn't be visible, since that part of the alpha map (read: the haircap) is transparent. Yet, it is casting a shadow.
Attachments
alpha_random_walk.jpg
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:35 pm

linograndiotoy Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Would it be possible to add an AutoBump value to the Vertex Displacement node? That's something that needs to be controlled by the user (especially considering that Vertex Displacement is totally ignoring any texture connected to the Bump input of the material right now, as long as a procedural texture is used for displacement).

This is Vertex Displacement applied to a plane, with AutoBump off.
Disp_No_AB.JPG

This is the same plane with AutoBump on.
Disp_AB.JPG

Thanks!

Autobump.ocs
(78.21 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby osiosiosi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:02 pm

osiosiosi Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:02 pm
If i remember it correctly .. soeone allready mentioned it a time ago. What i would love to see is an option in daylight system to set the sun like i want it. Not by changing the time or location but just setting the sundirection with an arrow or something similar in 3d space. Its really bothering me sometimes to search for the sun and rotate it for minutes till i find an angle that looks good. I really dont care if its the "correct daytime, latitude or whatever ...
Would that be somehow possible?
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 am

Notiusweb Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 am
osiosiosi wrote:If i remember it correctly .. soeone allready mentioned it a time ago. What i would love to see is an option in daylight system to set the sun like i want it. Not by changing the time or location but just setting the sundirection with an arrow or something similar in 3d space. Its really bothering me sometimes to search for the sun and rotate it for minutes till i find an angle that looks good. I really dont care if its the "correct daytime, latitude or whatever ...

I think I may have been the one who mentioned this...like a X-Y-Z rotation gizmo for sun direction, right?

Otoy - I don't think anyone ever plots out time month, day, or any of that stuff. They just swirl the sun around till it looks good.
I am not saying to get rid of that stuff, but it is not really efficient for most users who don't care what time of the year it is.
I often wish I could take a placement node and put it on the sun and navigate it from there.

This makes a lot of sense to have.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby omardex » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:25 pm

omardex Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:25 pm
I think even if they are different software Otoy should take note of what the other developers are doing with their render engines, in my case I think they should explore how marmoset works with assets and elements in the viewport, and how software like substance designer handles nodes and connection ports or even the c4d plugin node editor is a step up (these giant nodes with a super small name are botering me), also those vertical node connections damage the read on the graph flow ... but these are just my opinions.

in general octane and marmoset are similar in the way that you import your geometry then light and prepare the look in the software, marmoset is "simpler" as is aimed at realtime preview, but it let you know what is happening in your scene at any time, you can see where your lights are, where they are aiming at, they are easy to select and work on, marmoset possibly never will achieve the scale and detail that octane provides but artist amaze with their work, the platform should and must ease this, not put obstacles in every corner, not every artist has the technical knowledge to know the month day or even year to put a sun, or even technical knowledge to code or solve the issues that doesn't require artistic eye, artist just want to create (of course this extra knowledge is beneficial but should not be necessary)

I dont know about software development, but a toggle overlay for object icons in the viewport or even a button to show wireframe will suffice to show where you elements are at, a toggle button for gizmos for elements such environments, projections (please this) and light directions will be extremelly useful.

marmoset also has something that working in conjunction with other software such photoshop or substance painter not a nightmare, reloading geometry and textures are done when you change programs windows, it simply updates the file when you get back to it.

anyway I think octane could be better, the small things are what the software is sloppy at, the software is a beast produces incredible good images with small effort, but when it get super technical I personally hit a wall.
Omar Tavera
Awesome Generalist

omardex.artstation.com

Octane render for c4d but moving more toward standalone with one 980ti
omardex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm

karl Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm
osiosiosi wrote:If i remember it correctly .. soeone allready mentioned it a time ago. What i would love to see is an option in daylight system to set the sun like i want it. Not by changing the time or location but just setting the sundirection with an arrow or something similar in 3d space. Its really bothering me sometimes to search for the sun and rotate it for minutes till i find an angle that looks good. I really dont care if its the "correct daytime, latitude or whatever ...

This is already possible - you can change the type of node used for a sun direction from "Sun direction" to "Float value" using the dropdown in the Node inspector and that allows you to specify any XYZ vector.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases