OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC2

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC2
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC2 [latest 2019.1.x]

Postby haze » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 pm

haze Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 pm
funk wrote:Layering bug? Diffuse material + diffuse layer opacity is not working as expected. (happens with other material layers too)

1. Load orbx and start render
2. Select the "test" material group and adjust the DIFFUSE LAYER opacity from 0 through to 1 slowly

When you go from 0 to 0.01, there is a drastic change from a darker color to a light one.

diffuse_diffuse_layer.png

The fix for this will be in RC3.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sethRichardson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:44 am

sethRichardson Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:44 am
This has been a problem since well forever. Can we please get this fixed.

When working on small scale objects with really fine bump maps Octane loses detail after scaling down past .1 in transforms. Here is a comparison between octane and redshift. I asked about this earlier and it was just ignored.
Attachments
redshift vs octane.JPG
Octane Right | Redshift Left
sethRichardson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 am

haze Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 am
sethRichardson wrote:This has been a problem since well forever. Can we please get this fixed.

When working on small scale objects with really fine bump maps Octane loses detail after scaling down past .1 in transforms. Here is a comparison between octane and redshift. I asked about this earlier and it was just ignored.

Could I please have an ORBX of this scene, so that I can be sure I'm understanding what scale exactly we're talking about?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:09 am

haze Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:09 am
funk wrote:Vertex displacement crash to desktop

While trying some tests with modo's orbx exports, I've run into a file that crashes standalone (crash to desktop).

Sometimes it crashes when you start rendering, other times it crashes if you use the vertex displacement height slider

1. Load this orbx and select the render target (sometimes it crashes here)
2. Select the mat1 node and slide the vertex displacement height from 0 to 1 and back (other times it crashes here)

Thanks, fixed for next release.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:15 am

haze Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:15 am
funk wrote:Vertex displacement bug? (See later edit. May be a "Merge unwelded vertices" bug)

Vertex displacement seems to be broken in this scene

broken_vertex_displacement.png

1. Select the rendertarget
2. Select the "mat1" nodegraph. You can see this is currently using a vector displacement which looks wrong
3. Connect the texture displacement to the material to see the expected result

EDIT: This orbx was exported from modo. After looking at the ABC, I can see not all vertices are connected, so this must be causing problems for the new displacement.
I tried enabling the geometry.abc node import settings for "Merge unwelded vertices" but that doesnt seem to be working

There are two problems here, one is definitely the duplicated vertices (unwelded) and the other is the vertex speeds being wrongly indexed. The latter problem is fixed but the former is a limitation of implementation. Vertex displacement happens early in the geometry compilation pipeline, meaning that the vertices are subdivided and then displaced, and finally any unwelded vertices would be merged (if enabled). By then it's too late. In principle we can move the displacement, but it won't be trivial to do. We'll put it on the todo list though.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nejck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 am

nejck Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 am
sethRichardson wrote:This has been a problem since well forever. Can we please get this fixed.

Hey Seth,

I've noticed a similar thing too.

Question for you if you dont mind, is this happening only if you use the transform "commands" or is it happening when having scaling the UV mapping really low too?
nejck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sethRichardson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:52 pm

sethRichardson Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:52 pm
haze wrote:

Could I please have an ORBX of this scene, so that I can be sure I'm understanding what scale exactly we're talking about?

Sure
Attachments
Bumpissue.orbx
(30.18 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
sethRichardson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sethRichardson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 pm

sethRichardson Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 pm
nejck wrote:

Hey Seth,

I've noticed a similar thing too.

Question for you if you dont mind, is this happening only if you use the transform "commands" or is it happening when having scaling the UV mapping really low too?

If you leave the transform node at 1 and just tile the UV you dont get this issue.

It is only when you say need to use a triplanar mapping and have to lower the transforms in the octane node itself.
sethRichardson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

!!! Impossible to render with motion blur !!!

Postby divasoft » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm

divasoft Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm
I still want to get an answer to my question. Developers, please do not need to ignore the problem. Several users also confirmed the problem in a previous post.

I'm use Cinema4d. When motion blur is turned on in the scene and there are many particles (hundreds of thousands) the time to calculate motion blur increases frame by frame and can reach huge values ​​in a few hours per frame. BUT! If i restart the render and start from the same frame, the render time is reduced to a few minutes. Because of this, it is absolutely impossible to render projects with a huge number of particles. This error is repeated on any scenes, on any computers. I can’t check this bug in standalone, because it is impossible to export particles from Cinema4d to Stand., but I believe that this problem is related to the core.
Briefly: the same frames with a huge number of particles and turned on MB can be rendered for 5 minutes and for 2 hours.
Attachments
Снимок_.jpg
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Why particles are not exported in Standalone? That should work fine.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases