OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 RC1 [latest 2019.1.x]

Postby Zay » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Zay Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm
Notiusweb wrote:How were you able to test? If another machine you may have introduced whole number of other variables.
Anyway, I was there myself not too long ago, I cloned my win 7 drive and updated a copy. Never went back to the 7, too many other apps now using its feature set.

Did the usual. Move cards around, changed bios settings, new drivers, installed a clean win 7. Still no up-sampling. Upgraded to the free win 10 Pro and then I got Up-sampling. But the less Vram and impossible to work in my 3D app while rendering, which I have no trouble with in Win7, I think it will be a long long time before I move to Win 10 and any versions higher than 2018.x.x unfortunately.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm

funk Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm
haze wrote:[*] Fixed toon material rendering black.

This is still broken

Left = Octane 4
Right = 2019.1 RC1

toon_black.jpg
Attachments
toon_black.orbx
(131.83 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Notiusweb Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm
I am finding this version better shows off great possibilities using denoiser + upsampling.
With a 1.5 up-sampling mode also we could enjoy the benefit of up-sampling + denoising + detail, all at fast speeds!
I know dev team said in XB2 thread that 1.5 will put in. But I just want to comment that 1.5 up-sampling will be very good, especially with denoiser, which as expected tends to blur the scene a touch.

PS - I already reported that pickers are broken when using up-sampling. But let me tell you, it is a serious pain in the oz to navigate and test RC1 with a complex archviz scene with up-sampling on, and then have to turn off up-sampling to focus pick, and then turn back on up-sampling, and then want to material pick, and then have to turn up-sampling off, and then change material, and then turn up-sampling on again, over and over again.
If you could do a Hot Fix just for the pickers (focus, material, object, etc...) that would be appreciated indeed.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm

haze Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm
funk wrote:1) Layered material: viewtopic.php?p=364046#p364046
Both materials render the same now, but have become quite dark. I don't think this is right

I think the original was incorrect. Lower your IOR and you should see what you're looking for.

funk wrote:2) Composite layer renders incorrectly: viewtopic.php?p=364054#p364054
Both materials render more similar now, but there are still odd artifacts happening from the composite material.

3) Fast rounded edges are broken using the geometry "merge unwelded vertices" option: viewtopic.php?p=364413#p364413
Still a problem in RC1

5) Artifacts with these universal material settings: viewtopic.php?p=364496#p364496
Still a problem in RC1

6) Octane is not updating when changing rounded edge radius: viewtopic.php?p=364506#p364506
Still a problem in RC1

7) CUDA crash toggling shadow catcher pin on and off: viewtopic.php?p=364534#p364534
Still a problem in RC1

Have made internal tickets for these.

funk wrote:4) Rounded edge has artifacts where corners meet: viewtopic.php?p=364416#p364416
Still a problem in RC1
8) Rounded edge artifacts: viewtopic.php?p=364878#p364878
While the really obvious artifacts were fixed on the small mesh, the big mesh has worse rounded edges than XB2 now
9) Rounded edges: viewtopic.php?p=364887#p364887
Once again, the obvious artifacts were fixed, but I now see some "lines" on what should be a smooth surface. Toggle rounded edges off fixes it.

For the moment, this is a limitation of the implementation. We have plans to improve it.

funk wrote:10) Ai light is making things darker: viewtopic.php?p=364921#p364921
Still a problem in RC1

Let me get back to you.
Edit: seems the fix didn't go into the stable release branch. Sorry about that. It'll be in RC2, which I've just confirmed it is fixed.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 pm

funk Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 pm
Thanks haze but I disagree with this.

haze wrote:
funk wrote:1) Layered material: viewtopic.php?p=364046#p364046
Both materials render the same now, but have become quite dark. I don't think this is right

I think the original was incorrect. Lower your IOR and you should see what you're looking for.

1.5 IOR is correct for a clearcoat already. I have been running more tests and this appears to be a problem with the dielectric/coating layer, only when the base material has a medium/transparency.

Have a look at my attached example

LEFT = Using a dielectric layer with IOR 1.5. The base material becomes too dark
RIGHT = Custom clearcoat using a metallic layer (fully reflective), then emulating a 1.5 IOR with a falloff in opacity (0 degree facing reflection = 4%, 90 degree = 100%). The base material does not become darker

oct_2019_medium_with_layer_too_dark.jpg
Attachments
oct_2019_medium_with_layer_too_dark.orbx
(180.5 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

!!! Impossible to render with motion blur !!!

Postby divasoft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 am

divasoft Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 am
Hellow. Attention! Impossible to render with motion blur!
I wrote 2 times about this problem Aktar. He ignores me.
I'm use Cinema4d. When motion blur is turned on in the scene and there are many particles (hundreds of thousands) the time to calculate motion blur increases frame by frame and can reach huge values ​​in a few hours per frame. BUT! If i restart the render and start from the same frame, the render time is reduced to a few minutes. Because of this, it is absolutely impossible to render projects with a huge number of particles. This error is repeated on any scenes, on any computers. I can’t check this bug in standalone, because it is impossible to export particles from Cinema4d to Stand., but I believe that this problem is related to the core.
Briefly: the same frames with a huge number of particles and turned on MB can be rendered for 5 minutes and for 2 hours.

Please solve the problem !!!
Attachments
Снимок_.jpg
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 am

divasoft Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 am
And how i can see, MB calculation uses only one core and total CPU loading 5-8%. Can you make it process multithreaded to accelerate it?
Attachments
Снимок.JPG
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: !!! Impossible to render with motion blur !!!

Postby Jolbertoquini » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 am

Jolbertoquini Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 am
divasoft wrote:Hellow. Attention! Impossible to render with motion blur!
I'm use Cinema4d. When motion blur is turned on in the scene and there are many particles (hundreds of thousands) the time to calculate motion blur increases frame by frame and can reach huge values ​​in a few hours per frame. BUT! If i restart the render and start from the same frame, the render time is reduced to a few minutes. Because of this, it is absolutely impossible to render projects with a huge number of particles. This error is repeated on any scenes, on any computers. I can’t check this bug in standalone, because it is impossible to export particles from Cinema4d to Stand., but I believe that this problem is related to the core.
Briefly: the same frames with a huge number of particles and turned on MB can be rendered for 5 minutes and for 2 hours.

We had similar issues with Maya actually is complicate with the plugs I think.

One thing we did to fixe was on the soft side is export our particles as Alembic caches and add at standalone at scene exported or in other shots we did as "orbx proxy" on the scene, this technics allowed us to render really fast a big amount of particles, but also you are completely right we had a project recently with a huge amount of particles from Houdini and was really slow compare to other engines here when we have opacity and higher motion blur settings.

100k particles is not that much for Octane, we did a project here 15millions particles with opacity and motion blur the render was fine like 20min full scene only particles 256 sampels 6min in one 1080ti (screen shot) a frame in some cases.

The problem, I think is coming from the plugs because they are not getting the cache as Alembic and using the default sphere from the standalone, but is doing they on stuff like scatter a custom sphere from the soft which takes a huge time to render cause of the C4D in your case and Maya on our side well not easier I guess is export problem.

In your scene is strange the render time is changing quite a lot one thing to check is the amount of particle on this frames maybe is keeping on the buffer the older particles and get this add on the frames and render really slow ?

Best,
JO
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
15million PP
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Bulwerk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Bulwerk Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

I experience this all the time. I completely avoid concepts and FX that rely on huge amount of particles. Which is a stupid position to have to take in this industry...
Bulwerk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby divasoft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm

divasoft Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Bulwerk wrote:

I experience this all the time. I completely avoid concepts and FX that rely on huge amount of particles. Which is a stupid position to have to take in this industry...

This is nonsense! Can a commercial product have such problems? This is not serious.
divasoft
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases