OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB2 [latest 2019.1.x]

Postby FrankLIU » Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 am

FrankLIU Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 am
thanks a lot for your informative reproduce details
it will help a lot to spot the bugs
FrankLIU
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 am

calus Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 am
Some observations about layered materials :
- maybe the material layer pin should not be exposed in the base material of a layered material as it seems highly redondant in this case ?
- what is the reason to not make the "thin film layer" attributes a layer node type on itself ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri May 31, 2019 11:48 am

PolderAnimation Fri May 31, 2019 11:48 am
it looks like 'Affect alpha' does not work when there is no background.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm

Goldorak Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm
calus wrote:Some observations about layered materials :
- maybe the material layer pin should not be exposed in the base material of a layered material as it seems highly redondant in this case ?
- what is the reason to not make the "thin film layer" attributes a layer node type on itself ?

I want to be able to add layers to existing materials in standalone without swapping in a new layered material which could break things (including loading in older octane scenes). So we have both dedicated layers materials (where the base can be swapped out easily) as well as layers on top of the existing materials in cases where you may not want to have the core material be a pure layered material.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Notiusweb Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 pm
Goldorak wrote:

I want to be able to add layers to existing materials in standalone without swapping in a new layered material which could break things (including loading in older octane scenes). So we have both dedicated layers materials (where the base can be swapped out easily) as well as layers on top of the existing materials in cases where you may not want to have the core material be a pure layered material.

Thank you for taking this approach with the implementations made in Octane. 8-)
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 pm

calus Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 pm
Goldorak wrote:

I understand that but I was speaking only of hiding the pin when in a base material in a group layered material, indeed seems not possible in Octane to have different display of the same node type.

But what about extracting "thin film layer" attributes as a separated additionnal layer node ? besides It already has the perfect name: thin film LAYER
( this won't break previous octane scene as they don't use layer nodes)
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby miko3d » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 am

miko3d Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 am
Notiusweb wrote:Away from PC but I will post a screenshot and pm a scene.

I had the chance to mess with the up & sub sampling and it is simply Awesome.
Some of the scenes now, even at 4K, just render so fast, I am blown away.
I see uses for both sub sampling and up sampling...
many times a video is compressed so the speed you can get on up sampled frames is wonderful.
But the Sub has me totally enthralled....
what kind of wizardry did you guys pull with the sub sampling...the speeds and detail are awesome.
I can render 8K images in under a minute with no denoiser???!!!....What the F is happening! :D

I can see now- this PLUS an RTX speedboost?....Holy SHiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzz....

****APPLAUSE****

These are my thoughts:

sub sampling: exactly the same as it was in previous octane versions, , its just for quicker scene interaction at resolution expense.No AI magic here.No image improvements
Upsampling: the new upsampled AI mode.renders 2x/4x/ lower res and upsamples to the scene resolution.So far not very impressed to be honest, but just had a quick play with it.
Hope it helps
Mikel.
miko3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kalua » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Kalua Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:12 pm
miko3d wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Away from PC but I will post a screenshot and pm a scene.

I had the chance to mess with the up & sub sampling and it is simply Awesome.
Some of the scenes now, even at 4K, just render so fast, I am blown away.
I see uses for both sub sampling and up sampling...
many times a video is compressed so the speed you can get on up sampled frames is wonderful.
But the Sub has me totally enthralled....
what kind of wizardry did you guys pull with the sub sampling...the speeds and detail are awesome.
I can render 8K images in under a minute with no denoiser???!!!....What the F is happening! :D

I can see now- this PLUS an RTX speedboost?....Holy SHiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzz....

****APPLAUSE****

These are my thoughts:

sub sampling: exactly the same as it was in previous octane versions, , its just for quicker scene interaction at resolution expense.No AI magic here.No image improvements
Upsampling: the new upsampled AI mode.renders 2x/4x/ lower res and upsamples to the scene resolution.So far not very impressed to be honest, but just had a quick play with it.
Hope it helps
Mikel.

I was not much impressed either. Maby I'm just not using it correctly... and maybe some user will post a tutorial showing how to make the best use of it.
C4D 25.117 Octane 2022.1.2 R4, <<2 X 3090 + NVlink>>, Windows 10, X399, AMD TR 1950X, 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA SD 536.67
https://www.behance.net/PaperArchitect
Kalua
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Notiusweb Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 pm
I find on my rig with 8 GPU that sub sampling starts the image render's top speed faster and reaches completion faster than with no sampling, with seemingly no loss of detail.
Then up sampling, I really like 2x2, but probably won't use 4x4 in all situations, because of the detail loss. But on less detail-intensive scenes, like a blob or water, awesome for this.

I am impressed by both, but OTOY I think this will make a lot of people interested in it and happy-
**Have a 1.5 x 1.5 Up-sampling also**.

Anything that maintains detail and up speed is great. The 2x2 does it, and I think a 1.5 mode, starting off at a higher res, also, would be wonderful because it would actually pay off for lower res final resolutions as well.
Alot of other products that do up-sampling have that - like a 200%, a 400%, but also a 150% mode.

Thus, on bigger final resolution scenes you could opt for 2x2 or 4x4, but then now for lower res final scenes it could even pay off if you could use 1.5x1.5, getting the speed boost and keeping more of that original detail at start.
Any further modes on the AI upsampling 'checkbox' itself would be interesting too, applying less or more amounts of that checkbox's sharpening/smoothing, tailored to the specific scene, could be cool to have.

THX!!!!
:)
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wallace » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm

wallace Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm
calus wrote:But what about extracting "thin film layer" attributes as a separated additionnal layer node ? besides It already has the perfect name: thin film LAYER
( this won't break previous octane scene as they don't use layer nodes)

Because ultimately thin film depends on an underlying BSDF, in which case is either specular or metallic.

Each layer represents one BSDF exactly currently.

Why do you want thin film in a separate layer? Can you please provide a use case?
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases